Is there a point to it all?

Frank Todd

So we as humans are prone to thoughts about what life is all about, whether it be that we follow the great edict of life (passing ones genes on to the next gen of humans) or simply to follow ones beliefs (personal or holy).

Now I ask you... Is there a point to it all? If you believe there is, give me your points, if you believe there isn't... ditto.

d0r0WcS.gif

Boredom is the plague of the developed world. You do what everyone else does and suffer your miserable ease. And, on the weekend you mow your stupid lawn.

Do you know that you can do anything you want? But, everyone just does what everyone does. That isn't life to me.

Boredom is the plague of the developed world. You do what everyone else does and suffer your miserable ease. And, on the weekend you mow your stupid lawn.

Do you know that you can do anything you want? But, everyone just does what everyone does. That isn't life to me.

Hawhat?

You assume greatly of what I do.

d0r0WcS.gif

I believe God created us all to serve him. As such, we should spread the Good News about Jesus Christ and love one another.

Alternately, if one didn't believe in God, I believe a good goal would be to lessen human suffering around the world.

new_forum_sig_2.png

No. There isn't.

Kill yourself, save the planet.

Equally pointless.

I believe God created us all to serve him. As such, we should spread the Good News about Jesus Christ and love one another.

Why would an omnipotent god need others to serve itself? If a god is capable of anything it sets its mind to, why would it need other beings to do what it can do itself? And if it does need other beings to serve, is it really a god? Doesn't it strike you as terribly egomaniacal to create a world, an entire universe and all its contents and beings just to serve yourself? Should we have to suffer the pains of existence just so some god can have servants? What allegiance do we owe a being that supposedly created us for its own benefit? What gives any god the right to demand servitude of another sentient creature? The notion of serving a higher being simply because said higher being wants to be served is sickening and loathsome. It seems to me that to enslave yourself to the whims and wishes of some higher being, even an infinitely more advanced being, is to condemn your free will and your independence as a thinking and self-aware being by inhibiting your own decisions and actions in fear of some divine retribution which never arrives.

In answer to the OP: No, there's no point to it all. Meaning (and gods for that matter) is invented by human beings (and possibly other intelligent beings) for lots of silly reasons, like boredom and despair. There was no one that created us and we have no designated purpose, there's no definite "point" to our existence. There's nothing to indicate that the universe exists for any particular reason at all, it simply exists. The beauty of this meaninglessness is that we're free to invent whatever meaning we want for ourselves and since there's no universal answer to what our meaning or "point" is, no one can tell anyone that they're wrong. Accepting that the only meaning we need is that which we create for ourselves with our free will and rejecting the existence of moral truth, moving beyond good and evil, is the way to ultimate freedom. Once liberated by the cosmic indifference of mankind and freed of all moral restraints, you are truly free to become whatever you want to be.

• Upvote 4

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

Why would an omnipotent god need others to serve itself? If a god is capable of anything it sets its mind to, why would it need other beings to do what it can do itself? And if it does need other beings to serve, is it really a god? Doesn't it strike you as terribly egomaniacal to create a world, an entire universe and all its contents and beings just to serve yourself? Should we have to suffer the pains of existence just so some god can have servants? What allegiance do we owe a being that supposedly created us for its own benefit? What gives any god the right to demand servitude of another sentient creature? The notion of serving a higher being simply because said higher being wants to be served is sickening and loathsome. It seems to me that to enslave yourself to the whims and wishes of some higher being, even an infinitely more advanced being, is to condemn your free will and your independence as a thinking and self-aware being by inhibiting your own decisions and actions in fear of some divine retribution which never arrives.

In answer to the OP: No, there's no point to it all. Meaning (and gods for that matter) is invented by human beings (and possibly other intelligent beings) for lots of silly reasons, like boredom and despair. There was no one that created us and we have no designated purpose, there's no definite "point" to our existence. There's nothing to indicate that the universe exists for any particular reason at all, it simply exists.

This is the perfect example - like a glove, really - of the atheist stereotype/meme in which when someone mentions they're religious, the atheist will absolutely freak out about it over the internet in a way that is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and hilarious.

Do you wear a fedora, by any chance? It would truly be the cherry on top if you do.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

This is the perfect example - like a glove, really - of the atheist stereotype/meme in which when someone mentions they're religious, the atheist will absolutely freak out about it over the internet in a way that is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and hilarious.

Do you wear a fedora, by any chance? It would truly be the cherry on top if you do.

As far as I see it, he's just following the theme of the original post. If you don't like it, you don't have to respond.

Equally pointless.

In answer to the OP: No, there's no point to it all. Meaning (and gods for that matter) is invented by human beings (and possibly other intelligent beings) for lots of silly reasons, like boredom and despair. There was no one that created us and we have no designated purpose, there's no definite "point" to our existence. There's nothing to indicate that the universe exists for any particular reason at all, it simply exists. The beauty of this meaninglessness is that we're free to invent whatever meaning we want for ourselves and since there's no universal answer to what our meaning or "point" is, no one can tell anyone that they're wrong. Accepting that the only meaning we need is that which we create for ourselves with our free will and rejecting the existence of moral truth, moving beyond good and evil, is the way to ultimate freedom. Once liberated by the cosmic indifference of mankind and freed of all moral restraints, you are truly free to become whatever you want to be.

Your profile pic suits you good sir. (No Sarcasm for real), but in the fairness of debate. Wouldn't your argument against a point of meaning be a construct of human beings as well, and have a polar argument to your reasoning?

d0r0WcS.gif

I'm sorry, but me asking questions and making comments hardly qualifies as freaking out. I may use strong words and sentiments now and then but while I sit here, typing, I am perfectly calm. Besides, I am free to use my free will to question whatever I like. Would you rather we were all ignorant knaves and faithful slaves kept in the dark by superstition?

You might claim my post is unnecessary and uncalled for but from my point of view religion should be questioned and combated at every possible instance, at any possible time and place. It should always be opposed and I must do my part, however slight a part it is at times. What is truly hilarious is the farce of millions of people like yourself believing in and living your lives according to the wishes of some imaginary friend.

If you don't want your opinions to be questioned, don't post them. And I can't help but notice you didn't actually answer any of my questions, to my dismay. This would be a far more interesting.. discussion if you had actually come up with some answers and not just tried to deflect.

Your profile pic suits you good sir. (No Sarcasm for real), but in the fairness of debate. Wouldn't your argument against a point of meaning be a construct of human beings as well, and have a polar argument to your reasoning?

First off, thank you good sir, I often find myself in agreement with Mr. Lovecraft. He was wise beyond measure. Second, I get what you're saying and you're right that my argument against the point of being is a construct of humanity as well and I don't actually claim that my construct is more right than any other. The point I was trying to make is that we don't have any reliable external and/or objective source of information that can tell us what our point is and none of us, myself included, can actually prove that our constructed points or meaning are actually any more true than any other construct. People are pretty much free to believe whatever they want about the meaning of life and point of existence, but I think they should also recognize that the meaning they provide themselves with are constructed by themselves, for themselves.

• Upvote 3

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

I'm sorry, but me asking questions and making comments hardly qualifies as freaking out. I may use strong words and sentiments now and then but while I sit here, typing, I am perfectly calm. Besides, I am free to use my free will to question whatever I like. Would you rather we were all ignorant knaves and faithful slaves kept in the dark by superstition?

You might claim my post is unnecessary and uncalled for but from my point of view religion should be questioned and combated at every possible instance, at any possible time and place. It should always be opposed and I must do my part, however slight a part it is at times. What is truly hilarious is the farce of millions of people like yourself believing in and living your lives according to the wishes of some imaginary friend.

If you don't want your opinions to be questioned, don't post them. And I can't help but notice you didn't actually answer any of my questions, to my dismay. This would be a far more interesting.. discussion if you had actually come up with some answers and not just tried to deflect.

First off, thank you good sir, I often find myself in agreement with Mr. Lovecraft. He was wise beyond measure. Second, I get what you're saying and you're right that my argument against the point of being is a construct of humanity as well and I don't actually claim that my construct is more right than any other. The point I was trying to make is that we don't have any reliable external and/or objective source of information that can tell us what our point is and none of us, myself included, can actually prove that our constructed points or meaning are actually any more true than any other construct. People are pretty much free to believe whatever they want about the meaning of life and point of existence, but I think they should also recognize that the meaning they provide themselves with are constructed by themselves, for themselves.

Well I've told people before that objectively nothing they do matters (which on a cosmic scale it doesn't) Who would even feel for us if the moon crashed into out planet and wiped us from existence? Not a damn soul, the only thing that would vaguely relay our culture is any information that floated forever into the void of space, and that likely hood of anyone that happened to be out there receiving it would be slim-to-none, and even if they did get it... How would they even go about knowing what it means.

But for every argument for how pointless any action is, there is much we don't understand, nor could understand with our simple minds. Hell, we could be in a plane of existence that rests on an axis of pure infinite possibilities. To say that anyone truly understands anything about our universe or our purpose would always be an understatement regardless of the scale of effort put into either the explanation of it all, or just trying to explain any reason to our being present in the life.

On one side is the people who argue that there is life after death (heaven, hell, god, satan), and even through their "means" there's no true way to ever know if it's true or false (which is a factor that Leaders of various faiths play on). Even if you die (the only way to truly find out) what would it prove? To whom what that verify anything to? How could you be sure that your understanding of life and death is accurate, and that your supposed "death" in one iteration of your existence isn't the in fact a death at all? You can't, and the truly maddening part of all this is that you can pray to whomever you want, but in the end you will always retain that fear afterwards of what truly happens.

On the other hand to those who say there is no point to it all, you can never truly know that either. And again, the vaguest ambiguity of understanding would be "death". Even then, if you are right, and when you die you cease to exist... but you would never know. For all you know, that death could be a vast misunderstanding to our (cosmically) inferior minds that can barely grasp the vastness of our own reality. For all we know, we could be slipping in and out of various points on some infinitesimal, !@#$ed up plane of bullshit.

It both terrifies me, and brings some semblance to my mind that no one will truly ever know what life means, and you as a human will always to to affirm yourself to that meaning, and think that you secretly know the answer, but the fact of the matter is that until the point in your life when you face the void of imminent nothingness (whatever you may call it), there is no way to know.

It may seem like a stupid source to quote, but something that I always thought of close to an explanation of this madness is in the game Bloodbourne, when one of the main people of the story says "You would need many eyes on the inside of your skull... That way when you can only see the blackest parts of your mind, you can be prepared for the terror of the void."

Just my two cents anyways.

P.s to Big Brother: I wasn't trying to disprove anything you posted, just a sort of "keeping the story going" sort of thing. Same as the above.

• Upvote 2

d0r0WcS.gif

What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

• Upvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs

-snip-

I'm a religious nutter and I was just presented actual logic by an atheist instead of meaningless and baseless drivel. So instead of responding to the points he made, I'm going to freak out, whine and then accuse him of freaking out.

I either lack the capacity to understand and logically defend my beliefs or I'm a hypocrite who wants to accuse other people of being narrow-minded without actually bringing any valid counter-arguments.

I also reduce atheism to a meme because I'm unable to accept it as a valid point of view that people hold, then insult people with shitty meme jokes. 

I'm basically the "religious nutter stereotype in which when someone mentions they're atheist, the religious nutter will absolutely freak out about it over the internet in a way that is completely unnecessary, uncalled for, and hilarious."

Fixed it for you.

• Upvote 1

XLL3z4T.gif

The magnificent creator of the whole universe and everything prohibits us from shagging in certain ways, because that's what matters. I know because I heard a man who lived 2000 years ago might have said so, and I trust him because he could walk on water.

There was also a guy who split the moon in two 1400 years ago. He was pretty legit too, even if he liked his brides too young for my liking.

77oKn5K.png

Much of this is determines by our environment.

Ideal conditions, the purpose in life becomes procreation.

In harsh conditions, the purpose of life is survival.

Yes, this was mentioned in the movie Lucy but Skinner also made this reference back in the 1950's.

• Upvote 1