Egyptian Court Sentences two Al-Jazeera Journalists to Death for Espionage Charges

'...'were sentenced to death on Saturday by an Egyptian court, on charges of leaking classified information to Qatar,''

Uhh...The Death Penalty doesn't really seem that far out. I mean, if a few Russia Today journalists leaked information to Russia, they'd get punished harshly.

new_forum_sig_2.png

The death penalty is always far out. Just because harsh punishment is common doesn't mean it should be. Russia is not a good example of a fair justice system.

Anyway I'm not surprised this is happening, el-Sisi is basically Mubarak 2.0. Gg west, gg.

• Upvote 1

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

The death penalty is always far out. Just because harsh punishment is common doesn't mean it should be. Russia is not a good example of a fair justice system.

Anyway I'm not surprised this is happening, el-Sisi is basically Mubarak 2.0. Gg west, gg.

Better than a jihadist theocratic dictatorship that the Brotherhood wants.

If these "journalists" did indeed pass secret info to the government of a foreign country (in this case Qatar) then they should absolutely be executed, that's treason.

Better than a jihadist theocratic dictatorship that the Brotherhood wants.

If these "journalists" did indeed pass secret info to the government of a foreign country (in this case Qatar) then they should absolutely be executed, that's treason.

I wouldn't expect you to understand, with your complete disregard for the value of human life and your willingness to murder your fellow human beings. I wonder, do you value your own life? And if you were presented with the option, could you actually choose to murder another human being? What line of reasoning would justify stamping out the existence of someone else?

• Upvote 1

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

I wouldn't expect you to understand, with your complete disregard for the value of human life and your willingness to murder your fellow human beings. I wonder, do you value your own life? And if you were presented with the option, could you actually choose to murder another human being? What line of reasoning would justify stamping out the existence of someone else?

OK then, why don't you tell me then, what you think the value of human life is. What universal, scientific laws tell you that a human life is worth that amount? And if "the value of human life" has no scientific equivalent, then where does your position come from? Does a God in the sky tell you what a human being is worth? Or is it the warm fuzzy feeling you get?

So on one hand you have a great construction, a Nation, which comprises the building output of millions of people over many generations, the roads, bridges, houses etc, and then you have a single human being. What is more important, the security of that Nation or the life of a single person?

Human beings have no inherent value on their own, it's the great things they create which has value.

Edited by Andrezj Kolarov

OK then, why don't you tell me then, what you think the value of human life is. What universal, scientific laws tell you that a human life is worth that amount? And if "the value of human life" has no scientific equivalent, then where does your position come from? Does a God in the sky tell you what a human being is worth? Or is it the warm fuzzy feeling you get?

So on one hand you have a great construction, a Nation, which comprises the building output of millions of people over many generations, the roads, bridges, houses etc, and then you have a single human being. What is more important, the security of that Nation or the life of a single person?

Human beings have no inherent value on their own, it's the great things they create which has value.

What you fail to understand is that nothing humanity has done or ever will do matters in an empirical or objective sense. Nations crumble and fall, stars shine and die, entire solar systems are consumed over millions and millions of years, and no one anywhere pays any mind to the silly apes of Earth and their doings. Human history and all human nations are but a whisper in the wind, the blink of an eye, a scent that vanishes before you recognize it. No nations have mattered, no nations will ever matter and to sacrifice human beings to build these insignificant constructs is just as meaningless as everything else in realistic, cosmic terms. It's just a waste. From a rational, scientific point of view your nation and the ideas you love and cling to are nothing on the cosmic scale of the universe. All your culture, your history, your people, it will all become forgotten, dead and lost to the ages. No matter how many lives you stamp out of existence to build your precious nation it will never actually matter in the end. You are right that in empirical, quantifiable and measurable terms, human beings have no inherent value. But you are wrong in thinking that humans can ever create something great or meaningful in those terms. There were millions of years when humanity did not exist, there will be millions of years after humanity is all over with and once it is over, nothing in the universe will have changed.

So no, I don't pretend that human life has value in a scientific or measurable way. And unlike you, I don't pretend that anything humanity has done or ever will do actually matters. I cannot explain my position other than by engaging in some expressivism and stating that murder, the death of humans at the hands of other humans, completely disgusts me, much like rape, torture, slavery and many other things disgust me. I do not claim that these things are objectively or universally wrong, only that they are wrong to me, personally. My mind tells me it is wrong and since there are no objective, scientific, universal laws that dictate what is right and what is wrong, I'm inclined to listen to it. I trust my own sense of what is right and wrong more than I trust yours or anyone else's for that matter and you are no different with your belief in the nation above the individual. Since nations cannot actually be considered to be any more objectively meaningful or valuable than anything else humanity has done, no matter what arbitrary reasoning you provide yourself with, all it comes down to in the end is that you get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you think about the prosperity of your nation and putting it above all else. If reason cannot provide actual, empirical and universal value, the only thing that matters is what you think, which illusions you create for yourself and choose to believe, which shadows you choose to chase.

If you wish to set the nation above all else, go right ahead. But you should never think for one second that any nations can be proven to be more valuable than anything else by the use of scientific or objective laws. By those laws, all human history, past, present and future and all our creations are meaningless and completely without value. Scientific ways of measuring the value of anything human are just as inert and absurd as measuring value based on emotion, and to impose certain rules and punishments on human beings based on the belief that your make-believe reasons are better or more right than anyone else's is a silly hallmark of human arrogance. I'm not at all surprised that you're continuing this asinine tradition.

• Upvote 3

The single worst thing that ever happened to humans was farming and all the civilization that followed. We would be infinitely better off had we never cultivated a seed. None of the shit you value has done anything but degrade human life.

No one really cares but when it was that Australian guy everyone was screaming

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

The single worst thing that ever happened to humans was farming and all the civilization that followed. We would be infinitely better off had we never cultivated a seed. None of the shit you value has done anything but degrade human life.

Are you insane? Humans live far longer lives, are free of much more diseases, and have ridiculously higher purchasing power. Industrialization was the greatest thing that has ever occurred.

Are you insane? Humans live far longer lives, are free of much more diseases, and have ridiculously higher purchasing power. Industrialization was the greatest thing that has ever occurred.

Yet at what cost? Earth is now slowly suffering from the consequences of human pollution.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

False. False. False. And false.

Human life-span was longer before they became laborers.

Humans are insanely sicker since becoming laborers and packing into permanent settlements and piling up their shit around themselves.

Communal economics provided 100% wages. Capitalist wages can never equal the value of what the worker produces. Thus, his purchasing power is always less than his imput. Yes, we have more shit for all its worth.

Industrialization was just a massive expansion and further degradation of humanities' ruin.

False. False. False. And false.

Human life-span was longer before they became laborers.

Humans are insanely sicker since becoming laborers and packing into permanent settlements and piling up their shit around themselves.

Communal economics provided 100% wages. Capitalist wages can never equal the value of what the worker produces. Thus, his purchasing power is always less than his imput. Yes, we have more shit for all its worth.

Industrialization was just a massive expansion and further degradation of humanities' ruin.

So we should all go live in the trees like animals and wait to be destroyed by more intelligent humans from else where

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

So we should all go live in the trees like animals and wait to be destroyed by more intelligent humans from else where

No, we should reach the azimuth of civilization and destroy it all in nuclear fire. Then, we will return to a natural, healthy existence.

But yeah, in some ways it would be better to be slaughtered by "superior" humans than to sell yourself cheap everyday you wake.

Uhh...The Death Penalty doesn't really seem that far out. I mean, if a few Russia Today journalists leaked information to Russia, they'd get punished harshly.

Did you mean this? RT is an official Russian propaganda outlet. Did you mean leak to the USA?

-signature removed for rules violation-

Sure? Why?

So, then, my comparison was accurate.

If RT journalists in America leaked information to Russia, they would be punished harshly here in America if they were caught.

Similarly, as in the article in the OP, journalists in Egypt are being punished for leaking information.

new_forum_sig_2.png