Columbus Day

Nadir Aminu

Columbus Day  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should Columbus Day be a holiday in America?

America: Country or Continent? - YouTube

This has quite a bit of info on Columbus and the fact that he's a phony.

He also brought the end of almost all the natives

So in other words, we have a holiday for a mass murderer.

Oh and I forgot to mention he enslaved a bunch of them, but africans were much more popular for slaves (no racism intended).

• Upvote 2

This is very small

Oh and I forgot to mention he enslaved a bunch of them, but Africans were much more popular for slaves (no racism intended).

Technically, most nations during the end of the 15th century enslaved everyone, including most of their people. African slave trade was a newer and differing cartel closer to the late 17th century, as well as the Irish and Scottish slave trade. African Slavers on the other hand were prevalent up to Columbus' age, and they did their job well especially during the Crusades until the mid Renaissance.

Let's rewrite history cause it's offensive as well.

Its not rewriting history, its ending the symbolic celebration of  a genocidal mass murderer. He was literally responsible for the enslavement and murder of millions of people. 

Its also to be added that Columbus didn't discover dick, there were already many millions of people living in the Americas when he arrived. Even dehumanizing these people to an extreme degree and saying the vikings "Discovered" these areas before falls flat given all the evidence of cross-atlantic travel and trade dating back quite a long time before even this, and the fact that the Chinese almost certainly crossed the pacific before Christie. 

• Upvote 2

Let's apply 21st century morals to 15th/16th century past history.

We obviously can't change an atrocity of the past. What we can do, however, is not celebrate it by having a national holiday under the name of the man who orchestrated said atrocity.
  • Upvote 2
xzhPlEh.png?1

Columbus and Columbia, though Columbia is named after him, the name has become a personification of the United States itself. SHe has been used to create American images such as the Statue of Liberty as Columbia, standing in the port and "taking in those who seek life, liberty and prosperity" while holding the torch to light their way.

If Archaeologists were to uncover Washington DC in the future, many would uncover her images across the city and people of the future would assume here in the Capitol that she was a Goddess who was worshiped that distributed freedom and liberty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_%28name%29

Lets try to argue that genocide is somehow okay and also !@#$ celebrate it.

I can do this too.  Let's put words in someone else's mouth!  ( AKA: I never said such )

But I do agree with the fact that our society of today is way too sensitive.  Are we to condemn every discovery due to the negative moments that are attached to them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I also want to point out that Columbus Day isn't because of Columbus.  There's more to it than what you think it is.

Hint:  It has to deal with 6 million Italian immigrants to the United States and holds a political reasoning to the naming of the day.  Of course there's many reasons behind it, but it's more political than honoring a dead man who supposedly discovered the Americas ( Granted if he didn't happen upon the Caribbean, I doubt the western world would be as it is now - but who knows ).

• Downvote 1

We obviously can't change an atrocity of the past. What we can do, however, is not celebrate it by having a national holiday under the name of the man who orchestrated said atrocity.

They are defining moments of history.  They deserve to be remembered.  No one is asking you to wave a flag with Columbus' face on it.  You can celebrate the 'day' how you see fit.

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

Columbus and Columbia, though Columbia is named after him, the name has become a personification of the United States itself. SHe has been used to create American images such as the Statue of Liberty as Columbia, standing in the port and "taking in those who seek life, liberty and prosperity" while holding the torch to light their way.

If Archaeologists were to uncover Washington DC in the future, many would uncover her images across the city and people of the future would assume here in the Capitol that she was a Goddess who was worshiped that distributed freedom and liberty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_%28name%29

Well said! You know what they say in archaeology right? Everything is religious. 

If the world was destroyed and some future civilization uncovered Yankee stadium, they would have assumed it is a religious temple. It is an amplitheather, where hundreds and thousands of people gather to watch a pontifex maximus on a patch of sacred soil, within a square. The top of the temple has many names of the temple's chief priests, pepsi, casio, metlife.com. The pontifex maximus was likely supported by four other sacred priests, which stood on each corner of the square surrounding. There was also likely a cadre of vestal virgins which stood outside of the sacred square leading religious chants. 

If you really think about it, that's not too far off from the truth. Except for the virgins part. Cheerleaders are famously known for having more cocks than a chicken farm. 

• Upvote 3

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Columbus portuguese forever

PEOPLE BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU POST CAUSE IF YOU POST IN A NO COMMENT THREAD, YOU GET A WARNING POINT

CAUSE OTHER PEOPLE SEING ONE MORE POST THAN USUAL HURTS THEIR EYES.

You gotta live long so you can experience the sad joke that this world is.

"If I ever formed an alliance it would be called Grand Puberty Agency

And the text above would be like:"GPA just had a growth spurt"

Its a celebration of the start of the slave trade. !@#$ columbus

Edited by Hysteria
  • Upvote 2

☾☆

Priest of Dio

Dio-wryyy.gif

º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ GOD EMPEROR DIO BRANDO¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¸ DIO BRANDO GOD EMPEROR¨°º¤ø„¸
¨°º¤ø„¤¤º°¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸