Islam

Nadir Aminu

Does the name matter more than the person?

Equal parts. You need a good name, good gimmick, and the person needs to be able to play the gimmick well. 

There are the Dolph Zigglers out there and all that but for the most part you need to have a name that matches your gimmick. 

2nC8xBD.png

You sure you want people to be made more aware of an ideology when it has a track record like that?

Jihadism and Islam are different.

Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.

Jihadism and Islam are different.

vM1435I.jpg

They are different, yes, but they're two sides of the same coin.

Islam certainly has it's merits. It does teach some conservative values I can appreciate. However, it's application in the 21st century with regards to women's rights, gay rights, violence towards other religions, and freedom of speech, have all been in violation of basic human rights. Not to mention the general indifference among Muslims with radical Islamic groups.

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

Ah yes, the perfectly reasonable, 100% correct pictorial chart that definitely isn't misleading at all.  Let's parse this a bit, based exactly on the report it's being cited from:

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2013/04/worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-full-report.pdf

Wife should obey husband: 1.39 billion / 1.62 billion = 85.8%

So, firstly,I have no idea how they came up with the 85.8% of Muslims believe that.  Averaging the numbers across all the regions comes up with around 76.2%.  Next is an interesting fact brought up in the paper:

"Even in Central Asia, a region characterized by relatively low levels of religious observance and strong support for a woman’s right to decide whether to wear a veil, seven-in-ten Muslims agree that a wife should carry out her husband’s wishes"

So, this would seem to indicate that, rather than a function of being about Islam, this might have to do with lesser developed areas where Woman's rights have not progressed to where they are in the Western world.  In Southern and Eastern Europe, for example, about 40% believe that must not always obey their husband.  I'd be interested in seeing these same questions asked to Christians in these parts of the world to gauge their responses because I'm willing to bet that they'd be similar.

Sharia should rule: 1.1/1.62 billion = 67.9%

OOOoo, so very scary.  68% of Muslims worldwide (except this isn't worldwide because it's not taking into a large portions of Europe or any of the Americas) believe that Sharia law should be the law of the land.  It's true, factually, but the biggest caveat is that a majority of Muslims, as stated in the paper, also believe that Sharia law should only be applied to Muslims.  In addition, in countries that do not already have Islam entrenched in their government, demands for Sharia law fall to lower than 33% indicating that the belief that Sharia law should rule seems to be highly dependent on how these people are already living.

The last two are just categorically wrong based on the numbers.  If I'm calculating correctly, they're using the numbers posted in the report to derive percentages and then applying those numbers to the total Muslim population; however, the actual sample of both questions is culled from people who believe Sharia Law should be the law of the nation.  In addition, 16 countries out of the total of 36 did not have enough of a sample size to adequately analyze.  So, we've managed to cull out many of the more moderately Islamic populations in favor of the more radical ones.

So, Thalmor, maybe you should actually read the report your infographics are based on.  There is a lot of information in there that just doesn't translate well to one single picture.

They are different, yes, but they're two sides of the same coin.

So are you implying that Christianity and the Westboro Baptist Church are two sides of the same coin? The Weather Underground and Atheism? Judaism and terrorist settlers?

Edited by Cow
  • Upvote 1

So are you implying that Christianity and the Westboro Baptist Church are two sides of the same coin? The Weather Underground and Atheism? Judaism and terrorist settlers?

The Westboro Baptist Church is a minority group that has fewer than 200 members and is condemned by all Christians. Compare that to the dozens of currently existing Islamic terror groups (that have tens of thousands of members) that the Muslim community seems indifferent or even somewhat supportive of.

As for The Weather Underground and Atheism, I don't think atheists really consider The Weather Underground a good organization. I also think most moderate Jews in Israel aren't big fans of the settlers, although some of the more radical elements of the Jewish community do seem fine with it.

You picked apart the pictorial chart well, and for that I applaud you- disregard the graph in my original post.

Anyways, I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll leave it at that.

• Upvote 2

new_forum_sig_2.png

I will ignore the Crusader dog barking on here.

f76211aebca13696bf6aade83527ab34.jpg

This is the only way Islam will survive.

No.

Vladimir Zhogin of the New Anglian Confederation is doing this call? You got to have a name that goes with the gimmick if you're going to sell that. Otherwise it is simply absurd.

This.

Edited by Khilafah
ztt5Wgs.png

Oh, "Vladimir". We know each other in real life, sure, but you really need to learn how to shut up when it comes to a religion you don't even follow. The forums are out-of-character, except for roleplaying bits.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

Lol, I love how the Islam post ended in gambling.  (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

"Change, like sunshine, can be a friend or a foe, a blessing or a curse, a dawn or a dusk."

-William Arthur Ward