Why Are Nazi Names Banned?

Donald Trump

Seriously, I can very much understand the banning of racist names or names promoting genocide or names themed after the Holocaust. But what's the issue with roleplaying as WW2 in itself? There have been famous people in other worlds that have used names like "Hitler" or "The Reich". I can't see the issue banning history, it honestly reminds me of ISIS, the moderation team banning historic names that happened to be associated with a world view that they don't agree with and one that caused many deaths. But this is history and this is a politics game. What's the issue with Fascist or Nazi roleplayers, using like the Third Reich's Panzers or soldiers?

You're pretty much banning history at this point, being racist would be making a nation themed off a Holocaust Camp or naming it "Kill The Jews". Simply having a nation called the Reich or naming yourself Rommel is just roleplay anyway, it's not promoting genocide against ethnic groups, so what's the issue? Are the moderation team really turning into ISIS that they'd have to destroy any history that doesn't fit their worldview or what? This kind of thing just screams politically correct pandering, I'm sure if I set my avatar to a Hindu Swastika, I'd get warned on here, even if the item in question was due to my religious beliefs. 

I can tell you, if the mods keep feeding the social justice cancer and pandering to political correctness, then this game will end up turning into Tumblr, stopping any kind of political RP and ruining the game for everyone playing, other then a few sensitive people that freak out due to seeing pictures of German Soldiers. 

• Upvote 1

Nazism is banned due to a group of RPers back in PnW early history if I remember correctly. Their actions were horrible and distasteful to the point Alex, the Game Administrator banned Nazism, and shortly banned terroristic rp due to similar actions.

Nazism should stay banned imo. Also nobody is scared to rp as a German nation. There is a nation or was that RPed as (modern)Germany and nobody freaked out over it.

• Upvote 1

PoJQyFJ.gif

Seriously, I can very much understand the banning of racist names or names promoting genocide or names themed after the Holocaust. But what's the issue with roleplaying as WW2 in itself? There have been famous people in other worlds that have used names like "Hitler" or "The Reich". I can't see the issue banning history, it honestly reminds me of ISIS, the moderation team banning historic names that happened to be associated with a world view that they don't agree with and one that caused many deaths. But this is history and this is a politics game. What's the issue with Fascist or Nazi roleplayers, using like the Third Reich's Panzers or soldiers?

You're pretty much banning history at this point, being racist would be making a nation themed off a Holocaust Camp or naming it "Kill The Jews". Simply having a nation called the Reich or naming yourself Rommel is just roleplay anyway, it's not promoting genocide against ethnic groups, so what's the issue? Are the moderation team really turning into ISIS that they'd have to destroy any history that doesn't fit their worldview or what? This kind of thing just screams politically correct pandering, I'm sure if I set my avatar to a Hindu Swastika, I'd get warned on here, even if the item in question was due to my religious beliefs. 

I can tell you, if the mods keep feeding the social justice cancer and pandering to political correctness, then this game will end up turning into Tumblr, stopping any kind of political RP and ruining the game for everyone playing, other then a few sensitive people that freak out due to seeing pictures of German Soldiers. 

I don't think they're getting removed.

The cases in which nations get deleted or renamed are explicit uses of "Hitler" "Genocide" "Nazi Germany", KZ -Doctors, "Goebbels", "Himmler", etc. The extremely obvious stuff so to say. 

There are a lot of nations with "Reich" here too, which aren't deleted: "https://politicsandwar.com/index.php?id=15&keyword=reich&cat=everything&ob=date&od=DESC&backpage=%3C%3C&maximum=15&minimum=0"

It simply means Empire in german, nothing more, nothing less. Or else Österreich (Austria) or Frankreich (France) are evil too :D

You can even roleplay WW2 Germany with historical leader names. 

Just take some normal field Generals without hardcore genocide background (von Manstein, Rudel, Mölders, Dönitz, whatever)

or this one here is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_August_Wilhelm_of_Prussia 

There are a lot of possibilites to rp the borderline stuff while avoiding illegal symbols and respecting the forum/game rules.

WW2 Germany yes, explicit NSDAP content no.

And if your whole Nation is India themed, i doubt anyone would report some backwards swastika you put on your imaginery. 

Ps: Was Rommel forbidden? If so, that's a shame then. He was driven into suicide by Hitler =\

• Upvote 1

I don't think they're getting removed.

The cases in which nations get deleted or renamed are explicit uses of "Hitler" "Genocide" "Nazi Germany", KZ -Doctors, "Goebbels", "Himmler", etc. The extremely obvious stuff so to say. 

There are a lot of nations with "Reich" here too, which aren't deleted: "https://politicsandwar.com/index.php?id=15&keyword=reich&cat=everything&ob=date&od=DESC&backpage=%3C%3C&maximum=15&minimum=0"

It simply means Empire in german, nothing more, nothing less. Or else Österreich (Austria) or Frankreich (France) are evil too :D

You can even roleplay WW2 Germany with historical leader names. 

Just take some normal field Generals without hardcore genocide background (von Manstein, Rudel, Mölders, Dönitz, whatever)

or this one here is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_August_Wilhelm_of_Prussia 

There are a lot of possibilites to rp the borderline stuff while avoiding illegal symbols and respecting the forum/game rules.

WW2 Germany yes, explicit NSDAP content no.

And if your whole Nation is India themed, i doubt anyone would report some backwards swastika you put on your imaginery. 

Ps: Was Rommel forbidden? If so, that's a shame then. He was driven into suicide by Hitler =\

I thought Reich meant more like Realm?

• Upvote 1

Because most people are grew up hearing that Hitler was the worst person in the world. No matter how good your arguments are, they won't even listen to them. 

Not saying Hitler was a good person. But there are people who did things that are arguably worse than what Hitler did. And yet, their names will be perfectly fine to use.

• Upvote 3
Icwalk.gif

My guess is to prevent /pol/acks from invading the game and spamming these forums with "yeah Alex is a Jew" etc. it would also be a pretty popular choice for Rp and might mess up the diversity within it. Could also create a monopoly in game? Might be the balancing issue there as well. Plenty of reason for it.

At the end of the day, politics and war is serious business and nazism is a serious topic. You can still create an original nation with bits and bobs from nazism, as long as you don't use a swastika as your flag you should be more or less ok... Just use Odin for example.

When ever i hear the two words "serious topic", i automatically think of this: 

triggered.png

Like come on, it's a simple nation simulating game. Who cares. It's just a name. Assuming you're at least 13 years of age, as most sites require you to be, you should be able to handle it.

• Upvote 4
Icwalk.gif

When ever i hear the two words "serious topic", i automatically think of this:

triggered.png

Like come on, it's a simple nation simulating game. Who cares. It's just a name. Assuming you're at least 13 years of age, as most sites require you to be, you should be able to handle it.

You also realize that PnW is played in different countries where the term nazi may be illegal? I don't remember which country that that has just outright banned people from saying it Edited by Riza Hawkeye

PoJQyFJ.gif

You also realize that PnW is played in different countries where the term nazi may be illegal? I don't remember which country that that has just outright banned people from saying it

Bloc servers were taken down by German Police for having too many Nazi images. (Long story.) That's why we invaded PaW. We were bored. And anyone who thinks we were RPers deserves to be shot for stupidity. That being said, as long as Sheepy's servers aren't in Germany or any other place where Naziism is banned, he should be fine. (IIRC, they are hosted in Utah. I could be wrong on that, though.) 

EDIT: I'm not implying that they should be banned/unbanned. 

Edited by WISD0MTREE
  • Upvote 1

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Bloc servers were taken down by German Police for having too many Nazi images. (Long story.) That's why we invaded PaW. We were bored. And anyone who thinks we were RPers deserves to be shot for stupidity. That being said, as long as Sheepy's servers aren't in Germany or any other place where Naziism is banned, he should be fine. (IIRC, they are hosted in Utah. I could be wrong on that, though.)

EDIT: I'm not implying that they should be banned/unbanned.

Ahh

PoJQyFJ.gif

Better question, why does it matter if someone's playing the game or not? If you see bullshit, call it out. Doesn't matter who you are.

Same reason why I have no say in how Stormfront runs their forums. These boards are supposed to be for the community, yet 80% of the current conversation around moderation rules are being driven by someone who doesn't actually participate in the purpose of the damn boards. I am still baffled that accounts obviously designed to do nothing but flame are still allowed to run rampant over this board.

Not to mention that these rules are ridiculously lax compared to most games, and some are relatively unenforced.

Also, brief aside, the server and these boards are considered private space, so Sheepy could do literally anything on them and it would be censorship, which strictly refers to government intervention. K? We nipped that on in the bud, yeah? Good.

Same reason why I have no say in how Stormfront runs their forums. These boards are supposed to be for the community, yet 80% of the current conversation around moderation rules are being driven by someone who doesn't actually participate in the purpose of the damn boards. I am still baffled that accounts obviously designed to do nothing but flame are still allowed to run rampant over this board.

Not to mention that these rules are ridiculously lax compared to most games, and some are relatively unenforced.

Also, brief aside, the server and these boards are considered private space, so Sheepy could do literally anything on them and it would be censorship, which strictly refers to government intervention. K? We nipped that on in the bud, yeah? Good.

Moderation is moderation, inside a game or not, it doesn't matter. What we're talking about here, the censorship of using nazi names shouldn't be limited to those who play the game. I mean, does playing the game somehow make your opinion more valid on the topic?

Who cares how the rules here compare to other games? Just because it's better than most things doesn't mean it's right.

Well yeah, most anything boils down to "[insert name here] has the right to do what they want with the rules, deal with it". But then why discuss anything related to rules ever? I mean, he has the right and power to do what ever he wants, why should we say anything? Stupid argument is stupid.

Icwalk.gif

Moderation is moderation, inside a game or not, it doesn't matter. What we're talking about here, the censorship of using nazi names shouldn't be limited to those who play the game. I mean, does playing the game somehow make your opinion more valid on the topic?

Who cares how the rules here compare to other games? Just because it's better than most things doesn't mean it's right.

Well yeah, most anything boils down to "[insert name here] has the right to do what they want with the rules, deal with it". But then why discuss anything related to rules ever? I mean, he has the right and power to do what ever he wants, why should we say anything? Stupid argument is stupid.

Actually, yes it does. The game is for the players playing it. The opinion of a player matters more than the opinion of a nonplayer.

• Upvote 2
6XmKiC2.png

My coworkers (who are American) are using cm for our a project which will be assembled by an American company for an American customer. Is that BS?

We have to use cm or else conversions won't work. I bet you didn't know that because you probably aren't in my field. :^)

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Actually, yes it does. The game is for the players playing it. The opinion of a player matters more than the opinion of a nonplayer.

Just because the game would want to cater towards players doesn't mean someone can't argue moderation on a topic that you'd need no background knowledge on the game for.

Your argument for what makes an opinion matter more is simply based on what something's goal is. Which, is quite stupid. 

That's like saying you think electric cars are unimportant because you own a gas station. 

Icwalk.gif

Just because the game would want to cater towards players doesn't mean someone can't argue moderation on a topic that you'd need no background knowledge on the game for.

Your argument for what makes an opinion matter more is simply based on what something's goal is. Which, is quite stupid. 

That's like saying you think electric cars are unimportant because you own a gas station. 

Phhh.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/attacking-the-motive-fallacy-explanation-examples.html

Think of it like the US Constitution. A foreigners interpretation of an amendment is of less value than an Americans interpretation of an amendment because the American lives by those rules. Your example was just silly.

• Upvote 1
6XmKiC2.png

uhm, just putting in my two cents here, but I think that no one's opinions matter; outsider or no. No matter how strongly you feel about something or what you think, chances are that it's completely worthless and you can't change a thing. Well, then again, people who are in power can do things based on their opinions (e.g. if a person in power wants more money, they can raise taxes. If a person in power hates a specific group of people, they might try to pass discriminatory laws).

Opinions only matter if you're strong. Like Sheepy.

So I kinda have to disagree with you guys and Peacity and stuff... :(

It's just my opinion though, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just felt like putting it out there though. ><

tumblr_static_tumblr_maucq6syiy1r7y61oo1

uhm, just putting in my two cents here, but I think that no one's opinions matter; outsider or no. No matter how strongly you feel about something or what you think, chances are that it's completely worthless and you can't change a thing. Well, then again, people who are in power can do things based on their opinions (e.g. if a person in power wants more money, they can raise taxes. If a person in power hates a specific group of people, they might try to pass discriminatory laws).

Opinions only matter if you're strong. Like Sheepy.

So I kinda have to disagree with you guys and Peacity and stuff... :(

It's just my opinion though, so I guess it doesn't matter. Just felt like putting it out there though. ><

So your opinion is that your opinion doesn't matter? If so, why post it? 

• Upvote 2
Icwalk.gif

Think of it like the US Constitution. A foreigners interpretation of an amendment is of less value than an Americans interpretation of an amendment because the American lives by those rules. Your example was just silly.

I'm saying basing the correctness of opinions on pure value is retarded. If a foreigner has a good argument, he has a good argument. Being a foreigner doesn't make your opinion invalid. 

Words are words, it doesn't matter who says them. 

• Upvote 1
Icwalk.gif

The irony in this thread is that the OP, unbanned, is already roleplaying as a nazi himself.

>_>

<_<

But in all seriousness, Riza Hawkeye is correct:

Nazism is banned due to a group of RPers back in PnW early history if I remember correctly. Their actions were horrible and distasteful to the point Alex, the Game Administrator banned Nazism, and shortly banned terroristic rp due to similar actions.

Trust me, it was necessary and still is for that same reason. When we have actual RL nazi sympathizers flooding our forums, obvious problems arise.

• Upvote 3
xzhPlEh.png?1