CKII General Discussion Thread

Foltest

Anyone else get a chance to play their newest expansion?

I've been waiting forever for Council to actually mean something besides pissing off whoever got fired. I haven't had a chance to sit down and really play a game with it yet.

Obligatory: I get sucked back into this game with every expansion. Someone take my wallet away pls.

• Upvote 1

I can never seem to get into it. I oddly enough have 100 hours in it, but I always start a new game, play for a few hours and quit. I never return to old games I made, I just start over somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

Officer Nasty reporting for duty. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh ck 2 were you marry your aunts and nieces, and were it's 15 dollars to play as a Muslim, and 15 more dollars to play as an Indian, and 15 more dollars to play as a khan, and 10 dollars to play as a Jew, but I still love it. Also killing the same woman's husband over and over again until she commits suicide eventually.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Does anybody play the Game of Thrones mod for this? It's amazing if you are a fan of the books/show.

I know! It's so much fun. I started on Dragonstone once, created a new player. I obtained a dragon egg, with the House customizer got adopted into the Targaryens, hatched the egg, got a claim on the throne, usurped it. Fun times. Took a long ass time though. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm playing as the Grand Duke of Flanders and Artois, preparing an attempt to take the Duchy of Normandy. Eventually when Charlemagne Empire collapses I'd like to break off and claim my own crown. What sounds better? The Kingdom of Normandy,The Kingdom of Flanders or the Kingdom of Artois?

You creating a custom Kingdom? I do like Dynastic kingdom names myself so I'd go for Artois. 

Speaking of the OP's post, I find the council changes to be a positive. Having to put often substandard people on your council can certainly be annoying but it gives some more variance to the council though some of the "powerful vassals" can often be odd choices at times.

My current game was a non ironman game (no cheating though, only autosaves) in the Charlemagne start as the Duke of Antioch ruler designed into a Greek Messalian. Not Ironman because the guy is Muslim and starts with loads of Muslim vassals and I don't need to be handling that garbage while I've got a Byzantine Empire and a Abbasid Caliphate that can attack me at any time, so I just console killed all of them including all the mayors, barons, and priests. I've been keeping the Agnatic he started with and managed to get Primogeniture, I've done Absolute Cognatic before and it's a mess so I'm at men only so my vassal kings hopefully stay at it (some don't obviously). 

Main objective became getting a child to be married to the Byzantine Emperor's close family so they'd help whenever the Caliph came knocking. I actually managed to snap up some land on my own without him though I forget at this point if it was directly from the Caliph. I ruler designed my guy to be a god's chosen at 16 diplomacy, 14 marital, 14 stewardship, 14 intrigue, and 36 learning with the learning education. Only traits were genius, strong, and attractive (he married a quick to have all of them in the line). The RP idea being he was the guy who invented Messalianism. He was known as the Scholar appropriately, he was also a lunatic. 

With the Byzantine's help he became King of Syria.

He had a daughter, then son, then 5 daughters, then 3 sons. The first son who married the second daughter (first was married to the Emperor's son for an alliance) was a genius and had stats like his father but at the age of 35 he was killed by the wife of the family I had put in charge of half of Cyprus. I'd had to castrate (guy rebelled and he was a seducer) and blind some of their family, but I've allowed them to keep hold of Cyprus as I like the shield and name that was generated for them and I like families that are around as long as your own. That son had a single daughter who took over his post as duke of Damascus. Said daughter was possessed by Satan and became a Nestorian often causing me some problems though I allowed her to live. 

Heir was the second son who became known as the Confessor, who was good in diplomacy and average elsewhere (except crap martial). He married his older brother's daughter (the one possessed by Satan). His youngest brother became a duke but the other died young (though his only son became a duke). This second ruler became the ruler of an empire (Syria, Mesopotamia, Armenia) and the Caliphate was being defeated all over the place, rebellions aiding the conquest. Managed to in his life time take and convert the two areas (Baghdad and Jerusalem I believe) needed for the Sons of Addai holy order to form (which really help in conquests). As they always auto convert to Persian annoyingly and I don't want a Persian ruling my lands I vassalised him and then fabricated away his titles later. 

Next ruler known as the great, married his younger sister but she only gave 3 children, 2 daughters and 1 inbred son so he divorced her as she wouldn't have the good grace to die. Next wife was a Persian who gave me a boy who looked Persian (fine) and girl who looked Russian (not fine). I cut off her eyes and divorced her for nothing as I used the spy focus to find out her cheating (knew she was obviously). The child is still listed as mine as even though I paid gold both times to find out if the child was mine it gave back positive (bad job those guys did). The man involved belonged to a branch of the Isauros family whose in my lands. He was castrated. 

The inbred first son was the heir which was trouble however he died at the age of 25 after becoming infirm. In his short time he managed to father a daughter (who was quick with excellent stats) and son (basically the second guy pretty much but with less learning and more martial) who were born a year apart in age, which were naturally betrothed to each other. Due to inheritance the son of the inbred inherits over his uncle. 

I'm now playing as my forth ruler who took over at the age of 12. Stopped playing (for now) when he reached 16 years of age and became a man (and then married his 17 year old sister). He rules all of Syria, Armenia, Mesopotamia, Jerusalem, Arabia, and nearly all of Persia (2 counties left that the Byzantines have). Sunni Caliphate has been nearly completely eradicated and mainline Sunni Islam with it as heresy is rampant (Egypt is ruled by Zikris for one example) and the Crusades are being focused towards Spain I assume because I hold Jerusalem and am a Christian sect that isn't a heresy of Catholicism. 

I regularly play CK2 myself. Fun game.

I also make mods for it on the steam workshop,

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sketchy77/myworkshopfiles/?appid=203770

In reply to the OP, Council is probably the best expansion they've put out besides Way Of Life, but some of the updates that came with it were pretty meh.

XLL3z4T.gif

• 3 years later...
12 hours ago, Thomond said:

I know this is old but getting tired of CKII if anyone has any cool mod suggestions id gladly hear them here!!

Well beside game of thrones that is alreadry mentioned, there is an amazing Avatar mod, it is gigantic different way to play, like a whole other game.  
There is of course also "After The End" that is just Amazing. Set in North America after a nuclear apocalypse, this is such a wacky mode, you can conqour the world as disney world, while worshiping Cthulhu. 
If you into current politics, the old Modern Times mode is also a lot of fun, so you kill, sleep and marry all of your favorit world leader(not necessary in that order).

On 3/3/2016 at 4:15 AM, Godfrey said:

Does anybody play the Game of Thrones mod for this? It's amazing if you are a fan of the books/show.

Of course, i an actually in the middle of game as Stannis, currently trying to reconquer the north, so when Shireen sit on the Ironthrone, it will be over a unified westeros. Or atleast i was until the fallout mode for hoi4 updated.

tenor (1).gif

On 12/4/2019 at 2:26 PM, Gaius Maximus said:

I know this is old but getting tired of CKII if anyone has any cool mod suggestions id gladly hear them here!!

Honestly try multiplayer paradox games. It really revives the game to face competent decision making rather than "I'll agree to your plot/war/claim/revocation because you gamed the system and I'm programmed to"

CK2 is the least-stable in terms of Multiplayer but it can still be fun with at least one or two other people playing. I'd suggest these rules though:

1. No player can choose seduction focus (one guy banged my dynasty out of existence once / filled it with his bastards and gave the whole game herpes)

2. Limit the amount of PVP that can be done to another player. ie - players can only take the lower titles from a player (Dukes can only lose counties, Kings/Emperors can lose duchies) or some kind of rule that doesn't allow for game-ending PVP.

3. Find a relatively close region and play together but not close enough to disrupt gameplay. ie - don't play in the same duchy but maybe the same Kingdom or Empire so you can be allies and help out in wars.

Otherwise try the Game of Thrones or Elder Scrolls total conversion mod if you're bored. Or buy EU4. :P

Edited by Bartholomew Roberts

23 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

1. No player can choose seduction focus (one guy banged my dynasty out of existence once / filled it with his bastards and gave the whole game herpes)

2. Limit the amount of PVP that can be done to another player. ie - players can only take the lower titles from a player (Dukes can only lose counties, Kings/Emperors can lose duchies) or some kind of rule that doesn't allow for game-ending PVP.

3. Find a relatively close region and play together but not close enough to disrupt gameplay. ie - don't play in the same duchy but maybe the same Kingdom or Empire so you can be allies and help out in wars.

Why even play MP then? May as well play coop in another game entirely at that point, smh.

Edited by Malal
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

5 hours ago, Malal said:

Why even play MP then? May as well play coop in another game entirely at that point, smh.

Clearly you've never played a MP paradox game if you think Laissez-faire is the way to go.

5 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

Clearly you've never played a MP paradox game if you think Laissez-faire is the way to go.

I have, it's only a problem when you're not the one abusing meta strategies

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

19 hours ago, Malal said:

I have, it's only a problem when you're not the one abusing meta strategies

A grand strategy game is a fine wine to be savored and enjoyed. It lasts hours, sometimes days. If you want to pound bud light until you're vomiting go play fortnite.

5 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

A grand strategy game is a fine wine to be savored and enjoyed. It lasts hours, sometimes days. If you want to pound bud light until you're vomiting go play fortnite.

And screwing over other players is the height of MP fun. You may not like it, but otherwise you're basically playing a singleplayer game.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

19 hours ago, Malal said:

And screwing over other players is the height of MP fun. You may not like it, but otherwise you're basically playing a singleplayer game.

You don't have a lot of friends i take it. 

Unlike the other Paradox titles, in CK2 it so easy to screw over other players(even thought in Victoria 2 one can crash the world economy, but atleast that take effort) Specially in the first start of the game, when people don't have alot of heirs. With a bit of luck you can cause a gameover within a few minutes after the start of the game. 
It why "an heir and a spare" rule, have been adopted by every organzied community for multiplayers in ck2. 

You need some bacis rules to make MP last long enough to be worth the set up time. Else you might aswell be playing alone. 
Which is something you do seem to prefer.

Edited by Zim
  • Upvote 1

tenor (1).gif

1 hour ago, Zim said:

You don't have a lot of friends i take it. 

Unlike the other Paradox titles, in CK2 it so easy to screw over other players(even thought in Victoria 2 one can crash the world economy, but atleast that take effort) Specially in the first start of the game, when people don't have alot of heirs. With a bit of luck you can cause a gameover within a few minutes after the start of the game. 
It why "an heir and a spare" rule, have been adopted by every organzied community for multiplayers in ck2. 

You need some bacis rules to make MP last long enough to be worth the set up time. Else you might aswell be playing alone. 
Which is something you do seem to prefer.
I do feel kinda sad for you, that you need ruin other people game to have fun. 

Screwing over != ending the game early, those are two completly different things. Multiplayer hijinks with friends is what makes mp games the most fun. 

Ck2 is the most broken game as it's super easy to amass power quickly and most people have it down pat. Helping each other is generally a rare occurance beyond the very start since it's so difficult to actually be defeated by the AI unless you go out of your way to roleplay. For example, something as basic as having someone else in the game throw a wrench in your conquests by sending a bunch of money to an AI character so they can afford more mercs presents an actual challenge beyond setting the difficulty to the highest setting. 

The only interesting coop scenario available in ck2 is playing as patricians in a merchant republic and jockeying for influence over the republic. It also provides a great drain on all the funds you normally acquire as now you're playing with actual humans who are competent enough to both grow and maintain their trading cities and who also know when to outbid you for control rather than the AI who always throw away their paltry finances.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

27 minutes ago, Malal said:

Snip

But all the rules Robert suggested was to prevent players from setting them up others for game ending events, that you are against.
Some screwing is expected, specially if their competion over the same territory. 
And while it easy to amass power, personally i normally go from count to king in one or two generation, RNG have a far greater effect on the outcome in CK2, you can hit game over extremely fast, with just a few wrong events. 
My previous game in after the end, i had a dynasti of 300 people, be cut down to 25, in less then 5 years. 

tenor (1).gif

22 hours ago, Bartholomew Roberts said:

Yes, that is why people play historical grand strategies.

I think you miss the appeal of Paradox in general but I'm glad you enjoy CK2 in your own way nonetheless.

People play historical grand strategies because they're the only GSG's that exist. And by roleplay I mean pretend that since your character has 0 martial that you should go out of your way to lose every war on purpose.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win