A debate against left wing

Mutsuo Toi

Basically what you're saying is, instead of fighting poverty and exercising state authority over private enterprise to regulate the market, we should tolerate poverty because if we try to do something about it, the capitalists will screw it up. I don't know about you but to me, that's like the worst argument ever.

First off, there will always be poverty in some form or fashion and putting in a very large, instant increase in the minimum wage will only lead to the issue I stated earlier.  People have to understand, minimum wage jobs are not designed to be life long careers.  They are mainly designed for folks brand new to the labor force or for those in between jobs.  Do I think the gov should step in and regulate the market....hell no.  What the gov should be doing is working on setting up some free post high school education programs, weather it be though colleges/universities or trade schools so folks can attain the skills needed to get better jobs.  You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, you teach that same man HOW to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. 

The problem with todays younger workforce, is that they expect everything to be handed to them and not have to work for it.  I'll be honest, with my work experience of 30 years in the workforce (starting when I was 16), I've worked my way up to the point where I'm making in the very high 5 figures annually.  I had to work 30 years to get there though.  Now along comes this younger generation and they expect to be making what I make.....I don't think so.  Earn it, you'll appreciate what you have more!

X4EfkAB.png

First off, there will always be poverty in some form or fashion and putting in a very large, instant increase in the minimum wage will only lead to the issue I stated earlier.  People have to understand, minimum wage jobs are not designed to be life long careers.  They are mainly designed for folks brand new to the labor force or for those in between jobs.  Do I think the gov should step in and regulate the market....hell no.  What the gov should be doing is working on setting up some free post high school education programs, weather it be though colleges/universities or trade schools so folks can attain the skills needed to get better jobs.  You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, you teach that same man HOW to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. 

The problem with todays younger workforce, is that they expect everything to be handed to them and not have to work for it.  I'll be honest, with my work experience of 30 years in the workforce (starting when I was 16), I've worked my way up to the point where I'm making in the very high 5 figures annually.  I had to work 30 years to get there though.  Now along comes this younger generation and they expect to be making what I make.....I don't think so.  Earn it, you'll appreciate what you have more!

I don't believe that poverty will always exist, if the right methods of political and economic governance are applied a poverty free world could be achieved. As for the wage issue, if the government regulates the costs of the goods and services you mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't think minimum wage jobs are designed to be lifelong careers either, but that doesn't mean the wage shouldn't be at a level that ensures basic living needs are taken care of in a 21st century household. Government regulation of the economy has been and continues to be an important tool to maintain national and international economy all over the world and it can create great prosperity. In my opinion, unregulated free market capitalism is not a good idea, you need the government to step in at times. Your free post-high school education programs are a good idea, and are exactly the kind of thing you'd get from healthy government regulation.

I don't know about the younger workforce where you're from but I know a lot of people from that particular demographic and I haven't gotten the impression that they're any more lazy or entitled than any other part of the workforce. If anything, they have a hard-on for money, and they appreciate the value of a hard-earned dollar. We have one of the very highest GDPs per capita in Europe and the world here though, so you're going to make plenty of money almost no matter what you do.

Edited by Big Brother

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

If poverty isn't always exist, then how they created "poverty" word?

Because poverty has and does exist? What I said was that I believe poverty won't exist in the future, not that it hasn't existed. Poverty hasn't always existed either, like the period of time before the invention of private property.

orwell_s_1984_oceania_s_currency_by_dungsc127_d97k1zt-fullview.jpg.9994c8f495b96849443aa0defa8730be.jpg

Because poverty has and does exist? What I said was that I believe poverty won't exist in the future, not that it hasn't existed. Poverty hasn't always existed either, like the period of time before the invention of private property.

I would actually like to know what you think would be the solution to ending poverty, in detail. I am intrigued.

What I said was that I believe poverty won't exist in the future, not that it hasn't existed. Poverty hasn't always existed either, like the period of time before the invention of private property.

So there was no poverty when humans were grubbing around for enough calories from roots and berries so they could make it to another day of grubbing around for roots and berries?  Sounds fantastic.

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

Poverty will always exist for whatever percentage of people in the world, whenever it be luck, economic disaster, or exploitation. Whenever poverty rates are high or low, they EXIST.

Ending poverty is just a matter creating an abundance of goods and ensuring equal access to all required services to the entirety of the human population. The world already contains the required productive forces in form of raw & renewable materials, machinery, factories, technology and human manpower to create such an abundance. The problem right now is that they are used for divided ends, to produce meaningless consumer products, and they compete with each other. If the collective resources of the planet were coordinated and used in cooperation for the common good, it should be possible to create a society in which no one will want for anything, thus ending poverty.