The 6th Mass Extinction.

Quasar

I can possibly see this becoming a rather heated debate.

Most modern scientists are now in agreement that Humans have created their own epoch, which is now coined the Anthropocene epoch.
The new epoch started around the first atomic bomb was launched, to around possibly when the industrial revolution begun.

The epoch is supposed to be different from all the others because it starts in from the recent past, to the ongoing present. 

It is claimed that this epoch is different than all the others because it is a time in history where Humans have sped up extinction and the downfall of Earth such a quick period.

Now onto the juicy stuff.
The doomsday clock was moved to 3 minutes before midnight, sometime in 2015.
This has not happened since 1984 when the cold war was happening. Now the threat is:

"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernization's, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth.â€

Several scientists claim that most of our damage on the world is irreversible and that we were doomed from the start.
They claim that we will be extinct within 100 years, or that Earth will be uninhabitable by humans.

So the question is:
Do you think we are going extinct?
Do you think technology will save us from extinction, either by colonization of other planets, etc?

Do you care about the future of humanity even if you die before the mass extinction (it is currently ongoing), but suffer from some of the possible climate changes of the Earth?

Is it possible for us to stop the extinction?

Sources: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/anthropocene-earth-is-already-in-a-new-epoch-has-been-since-july-16-1945-scientists-claim-9981042.html

(Anthropocene era)

http://thebulletin.org/timeline

(Doomsday clock timeline)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3131160/Will-child-witness-end-humanity-Mankind-extinct-100-years-climate-change-warns-expert.html

(sixth mass extinction.)

• Upvote 1

"what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

Life goes on, the multiple previous extinction events have proved that. Humans have unparalleled control over their environment. Gradual climate change is certainly a big challenge but I don't think it's one we can't overcome

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

Humans are ridiculously adaptable to just about any situation. You have at least one instance of human civilization in just about every environment you can imagine- no matter how extreme.

Along with that, scientists have been constantly predicating our own demise for decades now. Each time, they have been wrong, or we just invented new technologies so that it doesn't matter.

Humans are going to be here for a long time. It would take something very dramatic and very quick to even wipe out only most of us.

new_forum_sig_2.png

Humans are ridiculously adaptable to just about any situation. You have at least one instance of human civilization in just about every environment you can imagine- no matter how extreme.

Along with that, scientists have been constantly predicating our own demise for decades now. Each time, they have been wrong, or we just invented new technologies so that it doesn't matter.

Humans are going to be here for a long time. It would take something very dramatic and very quick to even wipe out only most of us.

Enough of those corporate lies, kid.

<insert signature here>

Enough of those corporate lies, kid.

No lies there.  It's true.  We're arguably the most adaptable species to any hostile environment.

I do not think Ho-mo Sapiens will go to extinction any time soon.  Especially not within 100 years.  The only way how to remove our species is by complete obliteration of our planet.

I do think, however, our civilized life will take a punch to the dick though.

( Ho-mo is censored?  wtf )

Edited by Buorhann
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do somewhat agree to the previous statements.

Humans are extremely adaptable, but the fact isn't that we are just going to go extinct, it's the fact that most animals are as well.

We are not just killing ourselves off, we are killing off everything else along with us.

The advancement in technology is our benefit and downfall.

It could prove to be the thing that saves us from our own extinction, but in the present it is proving to be ruining us in so many ways.

Human beings will live on, the enviroment and animal life might take a toil, but humans are as people have pointed ot, adaptable.

Even if Putin goes nuts and starts a nuclear war, I imagine human beings will live. Our way of life won't be the same, but knowing us, we'll carry on. The only way I see us dying out if some type of super disease turned up and killed us all off.

Most modern scientists are now in agreement that Humans have created their own epoch, which is now coined the Anthropocene epoch.

The new epoch started around the first atomic bomb was launched, to around possibly when the industrial revolution begun.

The epoch is supposed to be different from all the others because it starts in from the recent past, to the ongoing present. 

It is claimed that this epoch is different than all the others because it is a time in history where Humans have sped up extinction and the downfall of Earth such a quick period.

This has not happened since 1984 when the cold war was happening. Now the threat is:

"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernization's, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats to the continued existence of humanity, and world leaders have failed to act with the speed or on the scale required to protect citizens from potential catastrophe. These failures of political leadership endanger every person on Earth.â€

Several scientists claim that most of our damage on the world is irreversible and that we were doomed from the start.

They claim that we will be extinct within 100 years, or that Earth will be uninhabitable by humans.

So the question is:

Do you think technology will save us from extinction, either by colonization of other planets, etc?

Do you care about the future of humanity even if you die before the mass extinction (it is currently ongoing), but suffer from some of the possible climate changes of the Earth?

Sources: 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/anthropocene-earth-is-already-in-a-new-epoch-has-been-since-july-16-1945-scientists-claim-9981042.html

(Anthropocene era)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3131160/Will-child-witness-end-humanity-Mankind-extinct-100-years-climate-change-warns-expert.html

(sixth mass extinction.)

This is an issue I'm quite passionate about. I think if you look at the much bigger picture and connect all the dots, you'll see that everything you've mentioned here all comes down to one particular issue. Human overpopulation. There is absolutely no shortage of optimists out there who deny that this is an issue, or that human overpopulation has yet occurred, but the facts are very clear. We are destroying our own ecosystem on a global scale and using more natural resources in numerous areas considerably faster than the earth can replenish them. We are also destroying forests and even the oceans at a completely ridiculous rate. that nature cannot cope with. As a species, we have economically relied on constant, never ending growth. Unfortunately, the earth is finite and we have reached a tipping point where growth is no longer sustainable. What we have right now is not sustainable. The situation in Syria can be partially attributed to human effects on the earth. The people flooding into Europe aren't just fleeing a war. They're also fleeing a dried up nation. And that's just the beginning. Most of the world is running out of water. We'll see what people do when the tap no longer works and stores are being sold out on bottled water every day. When farmers can no longer water their crops. That happened in Syria just before the war broke out. 

I've put a lot of thought and research into this issue and I find it considerably hard to believe that human society will survive another 100 years. I like to put faith in technology, but people are vastly underestimating the speed at which things are changing. I think the biggest issue of this topic is that this disaster is a slow process. It's not an issue that people are experiencing in a direct or even linear manner, but a cyclical one on a scale that overshadows a human lifetime. Thus they will continue ignoring the issue until they experience a swift, direct personal connection to the issue, or unless they accept the hard facts for what they quite clearly point to.

If the world would actually address this issue in a serious manner before the world continues to fall apart and we end up killing ourselves, I'll be amazed. However, even if we do, we've already reached the tipping point on earths climate. It's changing at an ever increasing rate and there is no way of stopping this reaction. Whether we can survive it or not is debatable, but most likely not. These fluctuations in earths climate over the last 2 billion years shows a pattern that seems to correlate with mass extinctions. 

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Life goes on, the multiple previous extinction events have proved that. Humans have unparalleled control over their environment. Gradual climate change is certainly a big challenge but I don't think it's one we can't overcome

You remind me of pretty every person who talks about this issue. For one, climate change is only a small factor in the bigger issue. Second, we don't have absolute control over our environment. We can't control the forces of nature. The earth is currently heating up at an ever increasing rate. As the permafrost in the arctic melts, as people continue reproducing, as we destroy forests, and as we pollute the air, the effects of climate change are constantly speeding up. 

You put too much faith on mere existence. The issue we're facing now isn't an adaptable situation. Nor is it anything that any living creature on this planet has ever faced. When any species overpopulates it's habitat, it suffers and dies. However in our case, it's on a global scale. In case you didn't read the OP, the sixth mass extinction is happening right now. Not tomorrow or yesterday, but right now, as you're reading this. Everything is dying and humans, like everything else, rely on biodiversity to survive. 

No lies there.  It's true.  We're arguably the most adaptable species to any hostile environment.

I do not think Ho-mo Sapiens will go to extinction any time soon.  Especially not within 100 years.  The only way how to remove our species is by complete obliteration of our planet.

I do think, however, our civilized life will take a punch to the dick though.

( Ho-mo is censored?  wtf )

Which is exactly what we're talking about, sir....

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

This is an issue I'm quite passionate about. I think if you look at the much bigger picture and connect all the dots, you'll see that everything you've mentioned here all comes down to one particular issue. Human overpopulation. There is absolutely no shortage of optimists out there who deny that this is an issue, or that human overpopulation has yet occurred, but the facts are very clear. We are destroying our own ecosystem on a global scale and using more natural resources in numerous areas considerably faster than the earth can replenish them. We are also destroying forests and even the oceans at a completely ridiculous rate. that nature cannot cope with. As a species, we have economically relied on constant, never ending growth. Unfortunately, the earth is finite and we have reached a tipping point where growth is no longer sustainable. What we have right now is not sustainable. The situation in Syria can be partially attributed to human effects on the earth. The people flooding into Europe aren't just fleeing a war. They're also fleeing a dried up nation. And that's just the beginning. Most of the world is running out of water. We'll see what people do when the tap no longer works and stores are being sold out on bottled water every day. When farmers can no longer water their crops. That happened in Syria just before the war broke out. 

I personally don't believe in overpopulation, and I am quite the pessimist.

I just think that overcrowding â‰  overpopulation.

We have plenty of land, food and water to sustain everyone in the world tenfold. It just comes down to a government level.

The government doesn't want to give free land, water and food to people if they don't pay.

Here is a few quotes from an article:

"Today, there is approximately 7,268,730,000 people on earth. The landmass of Texas is 268,820 square miles (7,494,271,488,000 square feet). If we divide 7,494,271,488,000 square feet by 7,268,730,000 people, we get 1031 square feet per person. This is enough space for everyone on earth to live in a townhouse while altogether fitting on a landmass the size of Texas. And we’re not even accounting for the average four-person family who would most likely share a home!"

"–Abundance, not scarcity, best describes the world’s current food supply. Enough grains are produced to provide every human being with 3,500 calories per day – 1,500 more calories per day than recommended by the Food and Drug Administration."

"All the world’s nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnourishment on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe"

We actually have enough water to sustain humans as well. Here is another quote:

"There is not enough fresh water for everyone!† There is! Since 1900, freshwater withdrawals (i.e. production of usable water) have increased much faster than the human population has increased. Freshwater withdrawals have increased seven-fold since 1900 while the world population has increased only four-fold"

Sources: 

(1) https://www.pop.org/content/debunking-myth-overpopulation#_ftn2

(2) http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014/10/25/overpopulation-a-fact-or-myth/

I've put a lot of thought and research into this issue and I find it considerably hard to believe that human society will survive another 100 years. I like to put faith in technology, but people are vastly underestimating the speed at which things are changing. I think the biggest issue of this topic is that this disaster is a slow process. It's not an issue that people are experiencing in a direct or even linear manner, but a cyclical one on a scale that overshadows a human lifetime. Thus they will continue ignoring the issue until they experience a swift, direct personal connection to the issue, or unless they accept the hard facts for what they quite clearly point to.

If the world would actually address this issue in a serious manner before the world continues to fall apart and we end up killing ourselves, I'll be amazed. However, even if we do, we've already reached the tipping point on earths climate. It's changing at an ever increasing rate and there is no way of stopping this reaction. Whether we can survive it or not is debatable, but most likely not. These fluctuations in earths climate over the last 2 billion years shows a pattern that seems to correlate with mass extinctions. 

I completely agree. People cannot face the fact that we are most likely doomed. 

It would take a MASSIVE change in the way people think, to be able to possibly save Earth and everything on it. Even then it might still be irreversible.

We started a chain reaction with the start of the industrial revolution and it isn't going to stop until we are gone, that is why I say that technology is our benefit and downfall.

Was it really worth getting these advancements in technology, just to cause all living things to perish? It's a rather selfish thing to do, and it shows how despicable humanity can be.

I do remember reading a somewhat troll topic about how we should return to tribalism. Although it wouldn't make much sense now since we are already in the information era, if we didn't advance, it begs the question on whether it would have been better for every living thing or just as bad.

The fact remains that we are wiping every living thing on the planet out and we are most likely going to perish along with them.

Interstellar was a rather good movie in demonstrating what our future will most likely come to (except with the happy ending.)

We have plenty of land, food and water to sustain everyone in the world tenfold.

But we actually don't We are pretty well out of land. What many people don't understand is that although human habitation only accounts for less than 1% of the earths surface, human use of land is considerably larger, maybe even mind blowing. Would it surprise you to know that more land is being used by humans for something than there is untouched land on the planet? And that the vast majority of that untouched land is uninhabitable desert, which is why it's untouched? 

NASA has proven that nearly the entire planet is indeed running out of water. More specifically, that humans are consuming fresh ground water sources from aquifers faster than they replenish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070630131304/http://www.globio.info/impacts/

Landusepiechart.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation#Land

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation#Fresh_water

http://web.archive.org/web/20090314104500/http://www.worldwatch.org/node/1661

https://books.google.com/books?id=C0_q-90H1aAC

Nobody knows how much water these things contain, but what we do know is the one supporting Syria is drying up, and that Syria is in a drought. We also know the one in California is drying up and California is in a drought. It spreads to my neck of the woods next, which experts predict, will in fact spread. 

The rest of what you've said in that piece seems to be covered in this response^

I think you should know that studying climate change is what eventually brought me to the conclusion of overpopulation. The factor you mention in this thread, mass extinction, is the one major thing that completely solidified this belief for me. Although I came to this conclusion before the results of the study this post is mentioning were released, before I had a chance to even read the data they found, I had already concluded that we were overpopulated. 

So now we have not just resources being consumed at unreplenishable rates, not only do we have climate change that correlates with overpopulation and die offs (a natural cycle of earth), but we actually have proof of a mass extinction happening as we speak. I'm not really sure what more evidence could possibly be needed for people to accept the horrible truth. Does it suck? Obviously. Should we ignore it because it sucks so bad? IDC. Do what you do. But I for one am not fond of the idea that we are destroying the only thing we know of that can support life.

I would have children right now if I were not so convinced of this seemingly obvious fact. Knowing this has kept me from pursuing personal interests because I have a very real concern for the future of humanity, which overpowers my personal desires. 

Edited by Fox Fire

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

I completely agree. People cannot face the fact that we are most likely doomed. 

It would take a MASSIVE change in the way people think, to be able to possibly save Earth and everything on it. Even then it might still be irreversible.

We started a chain reaction with the start of the industrial revolution and it isn't going to stop until we are gone, that is why I say that technology is our benefit and downfall.

Was it really worth getting these advancements in technology, just to cause all living things to perish? It's a rather selfish thing to do, and it shows how despicable humanity can be.

I do remember reading a somewhat troll topic about how we should return to tribalism. Although it wouldn't make much sense now since we are already in the information era, if we didn't advance, it begs the question on whether it would have been better for every living thing or just as bad.

The fact remains that we are wiping every living thing on the planet out and we are most likely going to perish along with them.

Interstellar was a rather good movie in demonstrating what our future will most likely come to (except with the happy ending.)

On one hand, I actually agree with primitivism. It's how people should live. I tried living off the land once myself, and realized that for entire modern societies, it would be impossible. There is simply no way you're ever going to feed 7 billion people with primitive methods. I can barely find food when I go on a survival trek. It's almost always fish or rabbit and that's only if I can even manage that. Even primitive agriculture wouldn't be nearly enough for the modern population. 

Technology would actually be the only thing to save us. Take a look at this:

http://www.futuretimeline.net/

Now I'm not going to say this thing is accurate by any means, or even that their methodology makes sense, but I will give them an A for effort and say that it's at least some interesting speculation. It basically predicts that humans will become so infused with technology, that in the distant future, biology entirely, will be phased out. The type of future presented in this timeline, although extremely optimistic, may be the only way humanity truly does live on forever.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

I bought a book recently for my cousin as a gift. I'm reading it since it will be a while before I see him. Anyways, the book claims that total nuclear war in the 21 century is highly unlikely (compared to the Cold War). It goes on to say that there is a significant chance of a limited nuclear exchange, such as India and Pakistan use lower-yield nuclear devices against each other's military. 

Edit: I should probably add the book is called On Limited Nuclear War in the 21 Century

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

So the question is:

Sources: 

(Anthropocene era)

(sixth mass extinction.)

Human won't be extinct since we have high technology to keep us adapt on every kind of enviroment. But the White race will all thanks to multiculturalism program

census-minority1.jpg