Revisiting the idea of having multiple tax levels

Greene

As I see it, there are 5 permission levels in the alliance, and there are two tax levels. For purposes of discussion, an applicant is a sorta member, with 0% taxation. That means that to a certain degree, having multiple tax rates is possible.

What I'd like to see if the ability to break up taxes by permission level, with each level being able to have different rate. If I had my way, in my alliance Leader and Heirs would pay 100% taxes, Officers would pay 25% taxes, and Members would pay 15% (or something like that). I've always believed that gov should also be putting the alliance before themselves, and the tax rates would follow that. Ignoring the merits of my leadership style, what problems exist by having group-level taxation?

• Upvote 5

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Well the obvious issue would be people doing the opposite and setting up tax farms. The tax rates would need to be visible (at least to members) to avoid people being exploited.

• Upvote 3

Dec 26 18:48:22 <JacobH[Arrgh]>    God your worse the grealind >.>

The problems with this have been brought up repeatedly, quit beating a dead horse and let the idea die already.

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

The problems with this have been brought up repeatedly, quit beating a dead horse and let the idea die already.

I don't disagree that the problems have been brought up already, I'm merely restarting dialogue in the hopes that we can figure out a way to mitigate the problems.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Well the obvious issue would be people doing the opposite and setting up tax farms. The tax rates would need to be visible (at least to members) to avoid people being exploited.

If people are exploited, it's their own fault for allowing it. If this suggestion is added, all members (other than applicants) should be able to see the different tax rates.

I don't really see any. Other than the fact that this game has enough bugs already.

• Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Its less allowing people to be exploited, more that people will keep inactives around and file them under the 100% tax group

That is a good point.

So? the new update should prevent that right?

What do you mean?

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

It is a great idea for a growing alliance. May be we can set up some restrictions for higher tax, like the activity level. We can go for higher tax only if the nation satisfies certain online time, which the inactive nations cannot.

it can be beneficial for bigger alliances, they can raise the tax of their already developed nations and lower the tax of smaller nations, an incentive to promote their growth.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps it would be better to be able to set tax brackets depending on a nations income rather than their alliance rank, this way even if a smaller nation is in gov they can benefit form lower taxes like small non government nations, and vise-versa 

• Upvote 1

"LMFAO nazi Goomy is the best Goomy" - Kyubey  "Goomy is Perfect" - Ripper

Some sort of gov for CoS

#RollBezzers2k18

Its less allowing people to be exploited, more that people will keep inactives around and file them under the 100% tax group

Actually, now that we have vacation mode, you could tie the two together. Anyone who doesn't log in for X days is removed from their alliance, unless they are in vacation mode. Obviously you set that number high, 30 days or something.

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

Actually, now that we have vacation mode, you could tie the two together. Anyone who doesn't log in for X days is removed from their alliance, unless they are in vacation mode. Obviously you set that number high, 30 days or something.

But what if someone does not want to activate vacation mode while they are away? Removing them from an alliance increases their chance of getting raided.

And why would anyone avoid vacation mode? because it is fixed for certain number of days (cannot use the nation before the day ends) and we don't get the revenue after every turns.

Edited by Oppilan

But what if someone does not want to activate vacation mode while they are away? Removing them from an alliance increases their chance of getting raided.

And why would anyone avoid vacation mode? because it is fixed for certain number of days (cannot use the nation before the day ends) and we don't get the revenue after every turns.

That's why it's called vacation mode. I'm not checking in here if I'm off on a cruise, honeymoon, opium den tour, etc.

• Upvote 1

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

That's why it's called vacation mode. I'm not checking in here if I'm off on a cruise, honeymoon, opium den tour, etc.

In case you don't activate vacation mode when you are on cruise, by the time you get back your nation would be filled with cash. For this reason, I think setting up tax brackets based on nations income or setting up tax brackets based on nation's online time is better.

Edited by Oppilan

In case you don't activate vacation mode when you are on cruise, by the time you get back your nation would be filled with cash. For this reason, I think setting up tax brackets based on nations income or setting up tax brackets based on nation's online time is better.

This is the exact reason brackets are BAD. You'd just put your inactive people in a 100% bracket for a couple weeks and milk them dry while not really having any obligation to defend as they'll just lose some infra you can easily rebuild with literally all of their money.

iMZejv3.gif

This is the exact reason brackets are BAD. You'd just put your inactive people in a 100% bracket for a couple weeks and milk them dry while not really having any obligation to defend as they'll just lose some infra you can easily rebuild with literally all of their money.

You missed the point. 100% tax is not possible if the nation is inactive. Tax bracket, if based on a nation's online time, would require that nation to be online for more than 'x' hours per day. On the other hand, if they are based on income, you cannot set 100% tax on smaller nations, smaller nation would automatically mean lower tax rate.

Edited by Oppilan

You missed the point. 100% tax is not possible if the nation is inactive. Tax bracket, if based on a nation's online time, would require that nation to be online for more than 'x' hours per day. On the other hand, if they are based on income, you cannot set 100% tax on smaller nations, smaller nation would automatically mean lower tax rate.

You're setting hypothetical restrictions on hypothetical brackets using metrics you have devised for a hypothetical scenario.

Cool story bro.

• Upvote 1

iMZejv3.gif

would require that nation to be online for more than 'x' hours per day.

Most players are casuals and likely aren't on more than an hour over the course of several days
  • Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

You're setting hypothetical restrictions on hypothetical brackets using metrics you have devised for a hypothetical scenario.

Cool story bro.

lol :D May be hypothetical, but everything here is hypothetical till Sheepy thinks its a good idea.

Most players are casuals and likely aren't on more than an hour over the course of several days

Ok then how about number of log-ins in a day or any way of measuring the activity, you name it.

If the problem is potential abuse by taxing inactive nations, we can just add a logic to differentiate active nations from inactive nations.

Edited by Oppilan

That'd be mitigated by it being by rank rather than just generic tax brackets, wouldn't it? I mean, you could make your inactives officers or something, but that'd be weird.

I suppose you could make it so that nations have to accept the new tax rate or something so you can't just shove people into a 100% tax group when they go inactive. Alternatively it could take effect whenever they log in again?

Dec 26 18:48:22 <JacobH[Arrgh]>    God your worse the grealind >.>

There's no abuse by taxing them, it would simply by a way to avoid raiding ever being a real issue.

>Set taxes to 100%

>Members log in and request their money (up to whatever amount they're allotted

>Raiders get nothing unless they beige

So all that any decently large/strong alliance has to do is have people ready to smack down anyone who attempts a raid. Nothing will be gained in the first 2/3 hits that happen before a response can be made.

iMZejv3.gif

I've always believed that gov should also be putting the alliance before themselves, and the tax rates would follow that. Ignoring the merits of my leadership style, what problems exist by having group-level taxation?

That's a very principled stand, and I salute you for it.

There's nothing preventing you from simply dumping all your funds into the bank, though. Do it right now! Or you can send it via my nation, so I can confirm. For your member's sake, I mean, I'd be pleased to assist.

• Upvote 1

Slaughter the shits of the world. They poison the air you breathe.

~ William S. Burroughs