Superiority & Damage

Dwynn

this seems like an interesting idea, but would this "modifier" take effect when you have superiority in all three fields (air,ground,sea) or just one? And what if you have superiority in one field and the enemy has superiority in another field will that cancel out the modifier?

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

Well the damage modifier would only apply to the field that you have superiority over. So if I had ground superiority, and you had air superiority, your air attacks would get stronger as days progressed holding superiority and my ground attacks would.

They wouldn't cancel out as air strikes do more than ground on avg, but as the modifier increased it would make it increasingly more important to try to break the superiority.

• Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

I think this could be used as a good way to get people to end wars. In this way, I think that the largest multiplier should go to ground battles.

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

maybe the ground modifier can increase how much loot you get off the nation you beiged along with a bigger loot bonus that you get from their alliance bank?

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

I think this could be used as a good way to get people to end wars. In this way, I think that the largest multiplier should go to ground battles.

maybe the ground modifier can increase how much loot you get off the nation you beiged along with a bigger loot bonus that you get from their alliance bank?

That was kind of my thought process. If loot is tied to damage (I think it is already) and you increase the damage multiplier over time of superiority held, you give them more incentive to attack the opponent with ground and beige them.

• Upvote 1

This idea is a lot fairer than taking away someones ability to fire missiles when its the only option left for them.I mean if i am losing on all 3 fronts after 2 days i might aswell not log in for the next 3 days

This idea has some merit.

I am currently in the situation where I'm getting my ass kicked but thanks to my missiles I'm able to keep up in damage caused.

I can see how that is a little unfair considering I'm by any definition losing those wars.

Though without missiles, I wouldn't be able to fight back at all, so I don't think restrictions there is the way to go.

I will eventually lose my ability to fight back even with my missiles due to being blockaded and I think that is restriction enough.

Maybe a damage modifier that adds x0.25  to the damage cap for each day you've held superiority over your enemy?

• Upvote 2

“Be your friend’s true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.”

Hávamál

When you say it gets larger the longer you hold superiority what do you mean? Do you mean the actual time you hold superiority or by the amount of immense triumphs gained? Because if it was me I'd gain superiority, try to hold it for as long as possible and then just unleash, this might be a bit op. Other than that distinction though I like the idea.

uHQTKq6.png

When you say it gets larger the longer you hold superiority what do you mean? Do you mean the actual time you hold superiority or by the amount of immense triumphs gained? Because if it was me I'd gain superiority, try to hold it for as long as possible and then just unleash, this might be a bit op. Other than that distinction though I like the idea.

Valid point.

Maybe add a small modifier pr consecutive immense triumph for ground attacks would be better?

“Be your friend’s true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.”

Hávamál

Very good idea. If you hold air superiority the entire war, maybe 2 bombing strikes towards the end of the war would do damage on par with a single missile. To address shellhounds concern make a counter like with ground attacks, this counter however never reaches a cap (except the obvious cap of how many AP there are in a single war).

scSqPGJ.gif

Yeah I had envisioned it being tied to the length of time you hold superiority. But if you held back to attack, you'd be missing out on the entire time while allowing your opponent the ability to attempt to break the superiority.

Perhaps having it tied to triumphs instead would be better. Or a combination of the two.

I was the target of Hans's missiles in that his other attacks could do nothing at all to me.  I'd hate to see his missile rate limited and I wouldn't want to see me gain even MORE advantage over him at sea/air/land.

I was winning and he couldn't do shit.  And all I'm seeing are proposals to make it harder for him to fight back.  No way, winners don't need more advantages, being the loser sucks bad enough as it is.

• Upvote 1

Duke of House Greyjoy

I was the target of Hans's missiles in that his other attacks could do nothing at all to me.  I'd hate to see his missile rate limited and I wouldn't want to see me gain even MORE advantage over him at sea/air/land.

I was winning and he couldn't do !@#$.  And all I'm seeing are proposals to make it harder for him to fight back.  No way, winners don't need more advantages, being the loser sucks bad enough as it is.

Pretty much this.

Just like with us in the UPN - TAC war, it was no fun just beating on an opponent that could not fight back.

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

I was winning and he couldn't do !@#$.  And all I'm seeing are proposals to make it harder for him to fight back.  No way, winners don't need more advantages, being the loser sucks bad enough as it is.

I'm not asking for limits on the rate of firing or anything. I'm not asking to make it harder to get superiority or to break superiority either.

I'm simply suggesting that superiority factor into damage calculations. Otherwise (though not in your case because you had missiles as well), the turtled nation takes far less damage than the nation that is "supposedly" winning. It's not a very good mechanic at that rate.

So, my suggestion is to make it that while you hold superiority, those attacks have an increasing damage modifier the longer you hold superiority. This does two things, if damage ramps up to missile-esque damage, it motivates the turlted nation to try to break superiority else the damage taken far outweighs the benefit.

As to why it's an unfair tactic is because I'm aiming for balance in a broken system. Otherwise, like other worlds, this game will simply devolve into a "who has the most missiles to launch" type of system. Which honestly, is quite unattractive.

As an example: https://politicsandwar.com/nation/war/timeline/war=25724

You'll notice in this war I had with Underlord, he was able to, in one attack, make up more than half the damage I caused to his nation. Had he launched another, he would have been on par with the damage I made, while holding superiority over his nations in all manners.

There is literally no point for me to get anything other than navy to blockade my opponent, missles to deal massive amounts of infra, and spies to take out my opponents missiles. Seems like a cheap party-trick for a war system, but the way things are currently built and implemented, that's what this game will devolve to.

• Upvote 1

-snip-

You can only build one missile a day and you can declare against five opponents. Damage can already be minimized simply due to the fact that they cannot missile you every day.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

You can only build one missile a day and you can declare against five opponents. Damage can already be minimized simply due to the fact that they cannot missile you every day.

You're absolutely right. A nation getting demolished in war is going to declare 5 offensive wars instead of turtling and only hitting those who decared on him. What was I thinking?! ... seriously.

So much this. Even when you aren't in the missle using range, once you have ground and air superiority over your opponent, the damage that they are able to inflict is basically nothing.

You're absolutely right. A nation getting demolished in war is going to declare 5 offensive wars instead of turtling and only hitting those who decared on him. What was I thinking?! ... seriously.

I meant the attacker can. I mean, I think you only took a single missile the entire war. Hardly a problem with damage.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

So much this. Even when you aren't in the missle using range, once you have ground and air superiority over your opponent, the damage that they are able to inflict is basically nothing.

i actually came to this forum to complain about the way that ground and air superiority work

it would be a lot better if they, in tandem with this suggestion, started out minor and worked their way up over time

for example...

level 1 ground control: 10% of planes are grounded; 5% more stuff is looted and 8% more damage to cities in next attack

level 2 ground control: 25% of planes are grounded; 15% more stuff is looted and 24% more damage to cities

level 3 ground control: 50% of planes are grounded; 25% more stuff is looted and 40% more damage to cities

level 1 air superiority: 10% of tanks are useless; 10% more casualties caused and 20% more damage to cities in next attack

level 2 air superiority: 25% of tanks are useless; 25% more casualties caused and 50% more damage cities

level 3 air superiority: 50% of tanks are useless; 50% more casualties caused and 100% more damage to cities

level 1 blockade: nation can no longer trade on the open market

level 2 blockade: nation can no longer receive bank aid either

level 3 blockade: the above two, in addition to gaining a bonus of some sort to your ground attacks

because land and air superiority are against each other, this makes it easier for people to break superiority, while people who are just trouncing their opponent all over the place gain some serious bonuses. even if you have missiles, you still won't want your opponent winning elsewhere if you can do anything to stop it.

• Upvote 2

i actually came to this forum to complain about the way that ground and air superiority work

it would be a lot better if they, in tandem with this suggestion, started out minor and worked their way up over time

for example...

level 1 ground control: 10% of planes are grounded; 5% more stuff is looted and 8% more damage to cities in next attack

level 2 ground control: 25% of planes are grounded; 15% more stuff is looted and 24% more damage to cities

level 3 ground control: 50% of planes are grounded; 25% more stuff is looted and 40% more damage to cities

level 1 air superiority: 10% of tanks are useless; 10% more casualties caused and 20% more damage to cities in next attack

level 2 air superiority: 25% of tanks are useless; 25% more casualties caused and 50% more damage cities

level 3 air superiority: 50% of tanks are useless; 50% more casualties caused and 100% more damage to cities

level 3 blockade: the above two, in addition to gaining a bonus of some sort to your ground attacks

because land and air superiority are against each other, this makes it easier for people to break superiority, while people who are just trouncing their opponent all over the place gain some serious bonuses. even if you have missiles, you still won't want your opponent winning elsewhere if you can do anything to stop it.

This is a genuinely solid suggestion.

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

This is a genuinely solid suggestion.

So wait a second. Ramping up superiority is ok if hereno suggests it? But not if I suggested it? 

WTF is this world coming to.

for example...

That's basically what I was suggesting, I like the addition of additional percentage of control added to it, not just damage increase.