Game Development Discussion: Expanded Updeclare Range and Expanded City Timer Grace Period

Village

Game Development Discussion: Expanded Updeclare Range and Expanded City Timer Grace Period (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Updeclare Range Change (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• No change (you can declare on nations up to 1.75x your score)
    • 2.5x
    • 3x
    • 3.5x
    • No cap
  2. 2. City Timer Grace Period Change (PLEASE READ THE POST FIRST)

• No change (no city timers until you reach C10)
    • C15
    • C20

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/17/23 at 04:00 PM

3 hours ago, Vice said:

I’ve always wondered if there was anything left for the dev team to do that could annoy their longest playing and most loyal player base. Surely there was nothing left  but here I stand surprised! 

As an avid updeclaring enthusiast, with a 21 updeclare on the Hollywood retaliation war (c20s on a c40s) and usually not a single war goes by without me doing at least 15+ cities, I still find this change useless. Slots for larger nations are already impossible to find once wars break out. the enemy  group of nations we can fight are tiny leaving us only defensive boring ass type wars making use of vds while we ground roll with no tanks or ammo.  Spend more time actually implementing ideas you have then continuing to find new ones that you will only implement 10% of. 

The updeclare range change isn't designed to help people people on the winning side, it's designed to help people on the losing side while making it harder for the largest nations on the winning side to sit out of the losing sides' nuke range.

Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 3

I am of the view that all cities above 20 should mandatorily need credits to be built. 21 needs 5 credits, 22 needs 7 and so on with increments of 2 credits. Ofc, you'll also need to spend 4 credits to reset the timer. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, KindaEpicMoah said:

The updeclare range change isn't designed to help people people on the winning side, it's designed to help people on the losing side while making it harder for the largest nations on the winning side to sit out of the losing sides' nuke range.

Hope that helps. 

Sorry i forgot some people can’t handle losing because they got a participation trophy in middle school. We should introduce a “swat the fruit fly” style mechanic on players who have been around long enough to grow, all in the name of mutually assured destruction. 

im on the side of the fence that if you lose, tough tits. I don’t know why tf we need to make the game even for both sides. Go play animal crossing if you can’t handle losing infra for a couple of weeks. 

Edited by Vice

I love you guys but… yet again you are solving a problem that doesn’t worth solving… so much energy for worthless problems…

I have 30 rose nations that can (up)declare me during this global, NONE did after the first round. You change the modifier, still no one will updeclare… the problem is the war system, not all these random improvements you are making. 

I still love you guys though :) please don’t solve worthless problems!

• Developer
3 hours ago, im317 said:

so this is already over and implemented? why such a rush? especially when you acknowledged that the poll options for the declare change were poorly thought out?

It's on the test server because it took a literal two minutes for me to add (and takes seconds for me to change again) so it's better to do it and have it than let it get lost (but apparently I take flack whether I do things quickly or slowly so that was pointless). It's not 100% decided yet since it's not on the main server not has been in an update post, at the moment we're planning to move forward with the poll results, that might still change.

On 8/16/2023 at 5:55 PM, Exalts said:

I'd love to say that removing city timers up to c20 is a good thing, but the realist in me knows better.

This would lead to players being held at low city counts to raid until they can build up to city 20 all at once, which is not ideal for player retention.

It's probably a good thing, but I'm not sure whether the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

That's what everyone is already doing - alliances require raiding until you can go to c20, and alliance helps with grants/loans. As far as I can agree that it may hurt player retention, it's worth keeping in mind that PnW is not Call of Duty, it's not flashy shooter, one would impartially call it boring, so if someone doesn't enjoy going through raiding phase, which is probably the most involving mechanic that new player can understand then it's likely not type of game that person would play in long term either way.

2 hours ago, Village said:

It's on the test server because it took a literal two minutes for me to add (and takes seconds for me to change again) so it's better to do it and have it than let it get lost (but apparently I take flack whether I do things quickly or slowly so that was pointless). It's not 100% decided yet since it's not on the main server not has been in an update post, at the moment we're planning to move forward with the poll results, that might still change.

But test server doesn't really allow to test such change, almost all nations sit at c10 and are either 0'ed or still have max units, almost nothing in between. It only changes raiding on test server in current shape.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, Borg said:

It's a problem in war because the losing side loses their infra and units. Having to rebuy infra/military just to missile spam is costly. 

Is nuke/missile spam really something that we should be encouraging? This seems like exactly the opposite of what we should be trying to do. 

Hey Krampus, the signature edit is under account settings. Actually, here's the link.

https://forum.politicsandwar.com/index.php?/settings/signature/

• Developer
22 hours ago, kbommer said:

But test server doesn't really allow to test such change, almost all nations sit at c10 and are either 0'ed or still have max units, almost nothing in between. It only changes raiding on test server in current shape.

That was not the intention nor what's happening, it was a simple change so I got it ready to go, and now it's on the test server so people are able to report mechanical issues with it, not meta ones.

Honestly my biggest issue with this poll is I didn't even notice it existed and by the time I had it was already closed ;-;

Also I feel like the approach to these polls should be a little different. It would be worth splitting the options into "Do you want this to be changed; yes - no" and "If it was changed which option would you prefer", would save a lot of effort.

In regards to balancing, doubling the up-declare range seems like a very heavy handed approach to a rather minor issue, especially when it creates a rather large amount of problems. 

For the city timer I am a tad skeptical of that feature since it will eliminate basically all tiering below c20 which is a rather large portion of the game.

It feels like way to much focus is on getting everyone to c30+ instead of creating content for all tiers of the game.

• Village unpinned this topic