Seriously fix the community discord

Raphael

This is the Nth time I've raised this topic but I feel the need once more. I finally rejoin the main server, after having left for months due to the lack of quality, and this is the first series of messages awaiting me in the general chat channel. Now I'm not ultra-sensitive liberal, but if I was a new player unfamiliar with this game or community I'd look at that and make quite a few assumptions.

1. The moderation team doesn't exist and the game is very likely dead itself as a result

2. The community is probably toxic if this is the casual discussion being had in the official discord server, I could only imagine what alliance discords are like. (again assuming as a new player)

3. This dead, unmoderated, and inactive community isn't worth my time investment. I think I'll save the trouble and delete my nation.

Not even to mention the GENERAL CHATROOM, the place where you are directed to socialize, has a freaking permanent slowmode on it. This is absolutely god awful community management 101. As you can see, I have most of these channels muted anyway, and was only poking in to tell Alex he made a typo when I saw this. This took zero effort for me to find, so imagine what I'd find if I actually used the search bar for keywords...

@Alex @Dr Rush I am pleading with you guys to make the PnW main discord a nice place where players can gather and chat. Stop letting servers like RON monopolize PnW's discord space. I volunteer to moderate if that's what it takes, I can point to other people who would be good and active moderators as well. Screenshot proof below.

image.thumb.png.785a968cfc307f064f957f32ae30cd0e.png

Edited by Roberts
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I'll save the trouble and delete my nation

you can still do this btw

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

HEADERS_CTO12.png

Inform Zigbir I have forgotten how to edit the signature field
Please remind me how to do it post haste!

• Wiki Mod

A certain irony, your evidence is some new player trying to engage with the community about his new rp article. Someone raised a question about the name of one his ship classes and he responded with a wiki article about it being a real place. If one checks further all of his ship classes are named for islands in the region he is RPing. Now I do understand the concern with the name, but at least on cursory inspection this appears to be good faith rp so its been passed to the game mods to check further.

As for the slowmode, We've had rate limiting even before slowmode existed, but it was done by a bot and wasn't obvious. When it was implemented it was 100% required and honestly a noticeable improvement in the quality of the conversations that happened. I'm not entirely opposed to removing slowmode and I certainly wish Discord offered some lighter options. But I would want to hear more convincing arguments against a barrier to spewing unfiltered gibberish into the server than offered here. Also I'll note I'm working on regaining our verified status and one of the things discord looks at is how closely we follow their 'recommendations' and they really heavily imply they want 10 second slow mode in larger servers.

• Upvote 4

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Bruh. The word the player is using isn't always derogatory. As they pointed out in the very screenshot you sent, it is the official name of an island. Further, in Spanish (one of the primary languages used in the Philippines), it quite literally means "blacks."

2 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

I recommend implementing the Grumpy Ban Hammer rule, if any post gets around 10 hammer emoji's the person that made the post gets permanently banned.  You want to be annoying or inappropriate?  Do it somewhere else.

Based Grumpy.

• Upvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

5 hours ago, Dr Rush said:

A certain irony, your evidence is some new player trying to engage with the community about his new rp article. Someone raised a question about the name of one his ship classes and he responded with a wiki article about it being a real place. If one checks further all of his ship classes are named for islands in the region he is RPing. Now I do understand the concern with the name, but at least on cursory inspection this appears to be good faith rp so its been passed to the game mods to check further.

As for the slowmode, We've had rate limiting even before slowmode existed, but it was done by a bot and wasn't obvious. When it was implemented it was 100% required and honestly a noticeable improvement in the quality of the conversations that happened. I'm not entirely opposed to removing slowmode and I certainly wish Discord offered some lighter options. But I would want to hear more convincing arguments against a barrier to spewing unfiltered gibberish into the server than offered here. Also I'll note I'm working on regaining our verified status and one of the things discord looks at is how closely we follow their 'recommendations' and they really heavily imply they want 10 second slow mode in larger servers.

I highly recommend googling "dogwhistle" the colloquial definition in the context of hate speech. Even if this new player was discussing his RP in good faith that really doesn't suddenly make it okay. I'm far from the only person not wanting to see these "gray area" exploits of the ruleset because we've seen what that leads to, consistently.

As for slowmode, I'm a big believer [ironically] that over-moderation kills discussion. Slowmode is basically the definition of over-moderation. It feels weird to even have to explain this, you're defending a pseudo-slur while advocating for slowmode to discourage "unfiltered gibberish" :v 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Roberts said:

1. The moderation team doesn't exist and the game is very likely dead itself as a result

2. The community is probably toxic if this is the casual discussion being had in the official discord server, I could only imagine what alliance discords are like. (again assuming as a new player)

3. This dead, unmoderated, and inactive community isn't worth my time investment. I think I'll save the trouble and delete my nation.

But all of these are correct

4 hours ago, Roberts said:

I highly recommend googling "dogwhistle" the colloquial definition in the context of hate speech. Even if this new player was discussing his RP in good faith that really doesn't suddenly make it okay. I'm far from the only person not wanting to see these "gray area" exploits of the ruleset because we've seen what that leads to, consistently.

As for slowmode, I'm a big believer [ironically] that over-moderation kills discussion. Slowmode is basically the definition of over-moderation. It feels weird to even have to explain this, you're defending a pseudo-slur while advocating for slowmode to discourage "unfiltered gibberish" :v 

If you look at the context of how @Miwlikot Pautway used the word, there's absolutely nothing derogatory there. There are plenty of words that could be derogatory depending on how they're used, and in this case it's not at all. If he were using it in a derogatory way (which, since he and I are friends, I know he's very, very unlikely to ever do), then yes, it should be moderated, but in this case there's nothing wrong.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello. I don't know what to put here right now.

I hope you're having a lovely day : )

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 7:55 PM, Nyx said:

If you look at the context of how @Miwlikot Pautway used the word, there's absolutely nothing derogatory there. There are plenty of words that could be derogatory depending on how they're used, and in this case it's not at all. If he were using it in a derogatory way (which, since he and I are friends, I know he's very, very unlikely to ever do), then yes, it should be moderated, but in this case there's nothing wrong.

what a lgbt+ slur?