Just a general curiosity, what is the general consensus on the size of a recognized alliance

Greene

I've asked this of some folks on IRC, but I'm really curious what the general community at large thinks. At what point do you recognize an alliance? For me (and by extension CU), we do less than 5 members aren't recognized, but 5 or more are.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

It depends, officially we consider it to be 5 bit personally I consider relevancy more than anything. In alpha there were a few alliances with pretty large membership (25+) but no one ever heard of them or interacted with them in any way. While they were very much an alliance they served about the most basic needs for their nations and that was it.

uHQTKq6.png

3+ and a DoE on the forums.

So you wouldn't consider the CU an alliance then since we haven't DoE'd (or have we... dang I don't even know anymore)

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

So you wouldn't consider the CU an alliance then since we haven't DoE'd (or have we... dang I don't even know anymore)

Since I don't even know what CU stands for, you'd be right.

Don't feel bad though. I'm not a legit alliance by my own standards.

q8nfyvc.gif

Tbf to you, your alliance is puppeteer of all other alliances so....

You have that backwards. I'm President of everything, remember?

Someone sack Shelly for me. Your President demands it.

Edit: I'm dumb. Reading comprehension during a double shift is hard.

Edited by Jodo

q8nfyvc.gif

5+ members with an active government member/leader

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I consider alliances with 5+ members along with a doe as a legit alliance.

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

I consider any alliance with 5+ to be diplomatically viable. In terms of strength and whether I would consider raiding them, I would say always less than 10.

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

I meant legitimate in just general terms, all of the different ways that an alliance would be considered legitimate (eligible for treaties, trade deals, not being raided, not getting recruitment messages sent, etc.)

greene.png

I meant legitimate in just general terms, all of the different ways that an alliance would be considered legitimate (eligible for treaties, trade deals, not being raided, not getting recruitment messages sent, etc.)

Well unfortunately there's no clear answer there. For posterity sake though, I'll address each.

#1 Eligible for Treaties: You could be a 1-man alliance and still be eligible for treaties. That's all about foreign affairs and likability of the party at hand (i.e. Jodo would easily get a treaty from me, however if someone like underlordgc asked for one I'd deny.)

#2 Trade Deals: Again, you could be eligible as a 1-man alliance. The key here is having the necessary goods to provide the other alliance.

#3 Not Being Raided: Unfortunately there is no guarantee that an alliance will never be raided. However, to help your case, being active on the forums (you are) would lead you more to something for the #1 option, which would often sway people away from attacking. The likelihood of being retaliated against is the major force in the decision of whether to raid an alliance or not.

#4 Not getting recruitment messages: Unfortunately no guarantee here too other than being in an alliance of size or being recognized. Even then, recruitment messages are often sent out by trained monkeys. They look at simple things like "how many in alliance?" if there's an alliance tag. Monkey's don't always have recollection of forum accounts and reknown, and often times don't have forum accounts of their own.

Hope that helps!

#brothermaloneisalwaysright #exceptwhenhashtaging

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

To me what defines a legitimate alliance is if they show ambition to actually be something. Like if you only have two people and you post a doe I consider you a legit alliance because you show you care. If you're IRC active as well, basically, just reaching out. But for alliances that aren't id say 5 members with the "gov" being active as legitimate.

• Upvote 1

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

Not to speak for my alliance as a whole, but I, personally, think it depends on the alliance in question.

If the two top nations in the whole of Orbis decided to create an alliance of just them two, they would already surpass half of all alliances in score. They are active and well established around the community and really know what they are doing. However, most of the lower tier alliances, which would be the ones in question, are inactive or few membered. Even the active ones, sometimes are unrecognized on the inter-alliance level of politics because no one knows who they are since they are not active on the forum.

So, it really boils down to, for me, (1) being active and (2) having the ability to assert yourself.

Edited by TsarNicholasII
  • Upvote 1

His Imperial Majesty, Tsar Nicholas II

The Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias

politicsandwar.com/nation/id=4918

ehhEjM9.jpg

If we were getting technical...

al·li·ance
a union or association formed for mutual benefit, especially between countries or organizations.

a relationship based on an affinity in interests, nature, or qualities.

a state of being joined or associated.

By definition, you would need at least two people.  Can't be joined, have anything mutual, or have a relationship with just one person involved. From there, you really have to set your own premise.  Over the years, I've seen many alliances set their bar of recognizing other alliances (in terms of raiding, etc) at 5 members.  That's typically what I go with as well.  On the other hand, I don't really like to attack people simply because they're small and I can.  Could be a decent little group trying to get established.  They deserve the opportunity and, often times, attacking players in micros can drive them out of the game and that's not really good for anyone.

c3Ct0v4.png