Bloc vs Alliance

Arln

Bloc vs Alliance  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the bloc based politics of modern era are more interesting than the old alliance based politics of pre-NPOLT?

• yes
    • no

I am curious. I personally am interested in alliance-based politics and think it would be more fun, but I joined the game right after NPOLT so I never really saw it. I have nothing to go off of. What does everyone else think?

Votes are anonymous btw

Is there much of a difference from now and Pre-NPOLT? There were blocs before NPOLT and alliances still do their own FA now (HoF and Cata tried to do something together). Even with IQ, the war directly before NPOLT was a war between KETOGG and Chaos Bloc, which then teamed up to fight BK. If you wanted to say bi-polar world vs multi-polar world as has been argued many times I understand, but you say Alliance vs Bloc. I would also vote "Yes, but also no."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nukey6 said:

It's always interesting as a relatively new player/nation to see veterans talk about that era and get stories from that time.

100% agree. I joined a couple of months post-NPOLT and it's crazy to hear some of the stories.

• Upvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

I wouldn't describe pre-NPOLT as alliance-based in the sense that you're probably thinking. Politics were and are determined by the powerplayers of the game. In the past we called them spheres of influence and they were much less codified - but everyone was still part of a large grouping in the treaty web.

I guess one upside of this is that alliances were more agile diplomatically. Alliances could, within reason, be free to sign or drop treaties as they pleased. There wasn't as much as an obsession with tiering and numbers as there is today. On the flip side though, you couldn't really make anything happen on your own without triggering a world war. Even a raid-gone-wrong could escalate into a great war with the whole web getting into conflict over something unrelated to them.

As this period dragged on, we also saw the pretense of treaties/chains dropping entirely. People four chains away from the point of conflict would pre-empt in the initial blitz. So in essence, the world was simply two giant spheres with very little changing over years in the game

In short I thought it was lame.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2022 at 5:32 PM, JamieGamie said:

What the flip is NPOLT my guys

NPO's Last Time (NPOLT) was the longest war in the game's history, which lasted for about 9 months and came to a conclusion when the game admin (Alex) disbanded NPO and banned multiple government members of one coalition due to evidence of extensive cheating on their part. It ravaged the game and led to many people outright quitting.

You can read the wiki article on it here: https://politicsandwar.fandom.com/wiki/NPO's_Last_Time

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team