Rogue nation response ideas

Jodo

Seems like Orbis has had an increasing trend of rogue nations. While it does in some ways promote activity, it also hurts gameplay as they are dealt with: they get blown up, shit post, and rage quit. It is not in the best interest to of the game to push players out of it.

So, I thought I'd open up a topic to address the idea of doing something different. Feel free to post your own ideas, or change mine. My intention here is not to dictate other alliances policies, but to simply hear out ideas.

I define a rogue nation as a player (in an alliance, or not) that attacks another nation in an alliance, while no public declaration of war is established.

My thought is that a lot of these players are simply young, or new. Many of us have established ways of doing things and unwritten rules or codes of conduct that came from other places. However, this new generation of players have no clue what is frowned upon, taboo, or considered grounds for a declaration of war. In some ways they are walking a minefield with even knowing it.

How do we change that? As a community, it benefits us to have more alliances and players. The politics and meta game side of things needs it to stay alive, active, and interesting. Otherwise we slide into a rut of two massive sides that mean mug each other. That gets boring.

Do we teach these new players the ways of Orbis? If so, how?

My idea: Protectorate treaties are a good way to teach and alliance, and keep them safe as they figure out how they would like to play. But it can also bite you in the ass if they screw up.

So, I'd like to see a sort of mentor program. A simple system that we as a community can do. Have a thread with a list of volunteers that are willing to answer questions, give advice, and basically hold a players hand until they feel comfortable doing their own thing. No alliance changes, or special rules, just simple advice from senior players.

It won't stop the rogue problem. Nothing will. But at least this way we can retain more players, and still have our fun.

Thoughts?

Forgive my typos, I'm on mobile and multi tasking.

• Upvote 4

q8nfyvc.gif

I think this is a wonderful idea and would be glad to be a mentor. Most of these people are just getting unlucky with their decision making not knowing our unspoken ethical code.

This could really improve the quality of the game.

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

This seems very sensible, +1 from me.

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.

Personally I think it should have its own sub-forum or w/e you want to call it and when you make your nation it should be included in the welcome message from Sheepy. Relatively easy to set up and most newer players aren't going to know about it unless they're told about it.

uHQTKq6.png

I really like this idea too. It was not that long ago my alliance was nothing but dirty raiders, then SK mentored us and was a huge reason why we are what we are today.

• Upvote 1

[17:17:58] <&Ashland> I will give you hops if you say this phrase:

[17:18:13] <&Ashland> "Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard."

[17:20:16] Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

3fHp1YR.gif

Personally I think it should have its own sub-forum or w/e you want to call it and when you make your nation it should be included in the welcome message from Sheepy. Relatively easy to set up and most newer players aren't going to know about it unless they're told about it.

That would be a good idea. Hopefully Sheepy or a mod sees this. I'd also like to see a pinned list of mentors they can contact.

I'd like this to be an individual thing, and not some cluster&#33;@#&#036; of a treaty or whatever.

• Upvote 1

q8nfyvc.gif

Yeah it should be a game thing, not an alliance thing.

Include it in the welcome message and mention it in the tutorial I say, once the sub forum(if) is set up.

rsz_1g7q_ak91409798280.jpg

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a roll.

There is one you will follow. One who is the shining star, and he will lead you to beautiful places in the search of his own vanity. And when there is no more vanity to be found, he will leave you in darkness, as a fading memory of his own creation.

I was all ready to call this a shit idea, but this is a fantastic idea. I'd be interested in seeing how different mentors influence different players.

• Upvote 1

BbWk4MB.jpg

I was all ready to call this a !@#$ idea, but this is a fantastic idea. I'd be interested in seeing how different mentors influence different players.

Ideally, the new player would choose their mentor/mentors based on their preferred play style. That is how I personally envision it.

Perhaps the mentors could write up a brief summery of their play style and specialty if/when we have a sub forum and pinned list?

q8nfyvc.gif

One question. Is this applicable for the members of The Raiders Return and also the breakaway Red Guards?, I mean if it is maybe someone might be in touch with them, let them know if they are willing to give up their current dirty raids then they will be given a chance to integrate into the rest of the community.

Edited by vincentsum8

One question. Is this applicable for the members of The Raiders Return and also the breakaway Red Guards?

It's not mandatory, so we can't force them. This will simply be a resource for new players to learn if they choose.

If they asked for advice, I see no reason not to give it. In theory it would make them into a functional group that isn't trying to murder everything (and failing hilariously).

q8nfyvc.gif

I was against this until I realized that this was a pretty good way to get sheepy to build a recruiting tool into the forums so we can divvy up the active players (or more active than the ones that don't bother using it).

I mean, I've been answering random players questions anyways, may as well try and recruit them too.

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

United Nations. Yes, my old suggestion again. Collectively commend those who obey the rules and lead their nations and alliances with dignity, collectively condemn those who act aggressive against peaceful players and alliances, and underline the decisions (commendations and condemnations) by e.g. a bonus-malus system (could be used for World Bank and loans). Security Council anyone? ;)

Seriously, this would not be mandatory as it'd be an informal organization. It would not interfere in alliance affairs but simply overlook the gameplay. The more alliances join, the heavier its words will be. Just a voluntary group of alliances, perhaps helping each other (Security Council!) and democratically deciding over commendations, condemnations and policies of the UN and the member alliances (+nations).

I LOVE this idea I know I could have used it!  I would defently be willing to be a mentor.  I would also like to add that the mentor program should be seperate from alliances.  There should be a rule that if you are a mentor, until they are done mentoring that nation, they cannot attempt to recruite that nation to their alliance.  I say this because I can see this backfireing from being a thing to help young naitons to being a thing for alliances to gain members.  I would also like to call on Sheepy to, in the welcome email, include a list of APPROVED mentor nations and their naition link so its easy for them to have.

United Nations. Yes, my old suggestion again. Collectively commend those who obey the rules and lead their nations and alliances with dignity, collectively condemn those who act aggressive against peaceful players and alliances, and underline the decisions (commendations and condemnations) by e.g. a bonus-malus system (could be used for World Bank and loans). Security Council anyone? ;)

Seriously, this would not be mandatory as it'd be an informal organization. It would not interfere in alliance affairs but simply overlook the gameplay. The more alliances join, the heavier its words will be. Just a voluntary group of alliances, perhaps helping each other (Security Council!) and democratically deciding over commendations, condemnations and policies of the UN and the member alliances (+nations).

Personally I don't care for this at all, lets keep this relatively simple and not try and force politics into it.

• Upvote 1

uHQTKq6.png

Personally I don't care for this at all, lets keep this relatively simple and not try and force politics into it.

-_- POLITICS and war.

Well, a liiiiitle international politics...  :rolleyes:

What'd be your suggestion?

Said idea would be a delight, for some.  Ambitious leaders play this game to experience the thrill of politics & leadership as your word gives effect, said collective would harm minorities and give restrictions, overcomplication & bureaucracy on Politics & War and that is never efficient.

I like the idea of a team set up with recognizeably good Nation Roleplayers who try to raise the standard. But instead of placing the cake directly on the table, the founders should give us the incentive to bake that cake. Aka, form coalitions with good alliances and try to make good roleplay for nations to be involved in. We can do this I am sure.

-_- POLITICS and war.

Well, a liiiiitle international politics...  :rolleyes:

What'd be your suggestion?

To not !@#$ up Jodo's suggestion.

Because the name has politics in it doesn't mean we have to shove politics down people's throat at every opportunity we get. This is something to help new players and is something that will hopefully help us with better players and what not. If you want to try and start up a UN, go ahead. But this isn't the thread for that.

Edited by Shellhound
  • Upvote 2

uHQTKq6.png