Stop rewarding bad behavior

Sir Scarfalot

Guest John Q Listener
15 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Yes, because "rainbows" is worth a nation strike and the flag of Imperial Germany is worth a ban.

Your entire alliance, in fact your entire identity is predicated on nothing but making up BS arguments to shill the moderators into being your own personal army and destroying their own forum at your whim, and that should not be allowed let alone rewarded.

I'm not sure what point you think you are making here, other than outlining how upset you are that nations can't use nazi or sexualised imagery.

Guest John Q Listener

I can't really speak for my fellow Goons in any official capacity, but what I absolutely can say is that any reports that are submitted by Goons are made in good faith (and aren't part of any kind of conspiratorial plot). We are a pretty diverse community with a lot of different backgrounds, and it is frankly weird and offensive how some members of this community are really doubling down to defend the use of nazi/sexualised imagery. 

I take a lot of pride in how inclusive and respectful our community is generally. I notice that you make a comment about what is acceptable in this game, although it is interesting that the use of nazi imagery was already against the rules, so we really haven't changed anything at all.

14 minutes ago, John Q Listener said:

I can't really speak for my fellow Goons in any official capacity, but what I absolutely can say is that any reports that are submitted by Goons are made in good faith (and aren't part of any kind of conspiratorial plot). We are a pretty diverse community with a lot of different backgrounds, and it is frankly weird and offensive how some members of this community are really doubling down to defend the use of nazi/sexualised imagery. 

I take a lot of pride in how inclusive and respectful our community is generally. I notice that you make a comment about what is acceptable in this game, although it is interesting that the use of nazi imagery was already against the rules, so we really haven't changed anything at all.

No, your community is actually nowhere near "diverse", you have no inclusivity at all (quite explictly the opposite), and your idea of 'respect' is complete hypocrisy. You know perfectly well what you're doing and why. Reporting sexual/nazi content is one thing, creating a fake narrative and reporting opponents on the off chance that you can successfully BS the moderators into punishing something innocent is quite another. Keep up the strawmanning though, you'll get me warned for "supporting nazis" eventually. It won't be the first time when (not if) your alliance accuses me of the same thing you tried to accuse Nova Riata of, too.

Edited by Sir Scarfalot
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

Guest John Q Listener
2 minutes ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

No, your community is actually nowhere near "diverse", you have no inclusivity at all (quite explictly the opposite), and your idea of 'respect' is complete hypocrisy. You know perfectly well what you're doing and why. Reporting sexual/nazi content is one thing, creating a fake narrative and reporting opponents on the off chance that you can successfully BS the moderators into punishing something innocent is quite another. Keep up the strawmanning though, you'll get me warned for "supporting nazis" eventually. It won't be the first time when (not if) your alliance accuses me of the same thing you tried to accuse Nova Riata of, too.

I mean this seems like gaslighting but okay.

e: I'm unsure how anyone would be able to get your warned for supporting nazis unless you somehow were actually doing this. No-one has mind control powers here!

Edited by John Q Listener

Guest John Q Listener

I think you'll find that this is what I wrote. Could you please identify which part of the following text you believe to be an unfair characterisation given your initial post.

34 minutes ago, John Q Listener said:

I'm not sure what point you think you are making here, other than outlining how upset you are that nations can't use nazi or sexualised imagery.

2 minutes ago, John Q Listener said:

I think you'll find that this is what I wrote. Could you please identify which part of the following text you believe to be an unfair characterisation given your initial post.

If you'll read what you wrote, you'll find that it says

39 minutes ago, John Q Listener said:

which is a deliberate misrepresentation of my post, and also directly accusing me of defending nazi/sexual imagery. Could you please identify which part of this post you believe to be an unfair characterisation given the literal sentence that you wrote.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Guest John Q Listener

I've already made my point earlier regarding your use of a false equivalency. I'm not going to clog this thread up by repeating myself to soothe your ego. 

• Moderators

Hello Scarfalot. Thanks for sharing your concerns. I will try to address them below.

2 hours ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

The recent spam of reports

for ridiculously minor infractions is absurd enough, ...

Regarding the "spamming" part, this issue has been addressed, after messaging the corresponding parties and further explaining the rules of the forum and the mentality behind the reports. You can be sure that receiving 60 reports per day is something that the forum moderators do not want...

Regarding the "minor infractions" part, I guess that, if the infractions are indeed minor, then there is no need to worry. Worst case scenario, the forum moderators lose some more of their time to go through the reports.

... especially when it is explicitly being done for the sole purpose of creating a toxic and hateful environment that accomodates nobody at all.

I kinda get the feeling of what you are trying to say here.

Regarding the motivation behind reports, I would say this is irrelevant when it comes to handling a report. I mean, the forum moderators can of course realise why/when some people target others in their reports... but this has no place in our judgement. If a post is against the rules, it's against the rules. If it isn't, it isn't. It doesn't matter who or why made the report.

Regarding the creation of a "toxic and hateful environment", I am not sure what you really have in mind here. If you are talking about some kind of malice of the ones making the reports, keep in mind that the reports are only visible to the forum moderators, so any "hate" towards reporters/reportees is "filtered" through us.

At least please stop rewarding goons for spamming these reports, ...

Not sure what you mean by "rewarding" here. If a post is against the rules, it's against the rules. If it isn't, it isn't. It doesn't matter who or why made the report.

... unless you really do want a game where the whole point is to make up offending meanings to the word "lollipop".

I guess this is a remark regarding insults, "bad words", slurs, etc. I assure you that the moderators neither focus on the letter of the rules nor on the letters of the comments. Someone may get a warning for flaming/OCC attacking others without using "bad words". Someone else may use a "bad word" as a joke and with good intentions (such are most of the cases of self-sarcasm for example) and get no warnings. It really depends on how the whole picture looks like.

-----------------------------------------------

If I am wrong on any of the above parts, please correct me, since I would like to resolve any issues that may have arisen.

-----------------------------------------------

In any case, a final comment towards pretty much everyone: The answer to hate is not hate, but kindness. The answer to haters is not hating them but acting with restrain, politeness and in a civilized manner. A person that hates people with brown eyes is not that far away from a person that hates people that hate people with brown eyes.

Keep in mind that not everyone is "tough" and not everyone is patient or non short-tempered. To my eyes (and I hope to yours too), everyone should be protected and be respected in one way or another, even the offenders.

So, agree to disagree and hug each other. Waiting for your future reports with anticipation.

Peace & Love.

• Upvote 4

Lol what? Mate I've been suspended for IC attacks called 'flaming' because I told people their Alliances were shit and they sucked at running them.

The moderation here has been long regarded as a bad joke by the playerbase since well before my arrival two years ago. 

I get suspended seemingly almost Everytime I express that I think someone, in character, the context of the game, sucks, is unskilled, or otherwise incompetent, but somehow kosmo is still posting after calling anyone under the sun a "Nazi" paired with pretty much any censored expletive you can imagine dozens, if not hundreds of times? And your excuse is that some automated system bans at an easily evaded threshold?

Quit trying to pretend like the moderation in any facet of this game has ever been anything but a pathetic joke. It always has been, and while some of that's out of your control, I don't see a damned thing being done within the mods control to change that, nor do I expect it anymore.

And on your note to everyone: kindness doesn't work when the people involved, on both sides, shoot first and think later. No amount of kindness is going to stop a bullet already fired. And no amount of kindness has ever turned any ideological opponent I've had, and I suspect that's true of almost everyone here. 

It's a touching remark for a poster you'd expect to see on the cubicle wall of a middle aged white woman next to the minion memes, but it's not an accurate model of reality. If kindness changed people's minds, if it absolved hate, if it bred trust where any long since went extinct, wars would be fought with hugs, not rifles. 

The games own IC politics prove that, the current war is a skip and a hop from being an outright extinction event and there's mounting evidence to state that it's supposed to be one. There is no trust, there is no love, so there is no peace, but there's a rifle left at your door to take their place!

Anyway it's 8am and I haven't slept, I'm done waxing philosophical, may God have mercy on any poor sap who read all of that, and save their soul if they bother responding because I probably won't care enough to read it when I wake up. ?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Akuryo said:

And on your note to everyone: kindness doesn't work when the people involved, on both sides, shoot first and think later. No amount of kindness is going to stop a bullet already fired. And no amount of kindness has ever turned any ideological opponent I've had, and I suspect that's true of almost everyone here. 

It's a touching remark for a poster you'd expect to see on the cubicle wall of a middle aged white woman next to the minion memes, but it's not an accurate model of reality. If kindness changed people's minds, if it absolved hate, if it bred trust where any long since went extinct, wars would be fought with hugs, not rifles.

What can I say? I may actually be a middle aged white woman loving minion memes. Or, I may be Gandhi's reincarnation. Or a hippy. Or all of the above.

You see Akuryo, kindness may not always work, as you say, but violence, when it comes to... talking, never works.

For example, telling a mod "you are a joke" will probably never work. The mod will either get angry, defensive, sad or just use mental exercises from yoga lessons to get rid of this negativity. The same goes for calling people stupid, nazis or whatever. Once you attack someone, you cannot expect them to actually hear you and do what you want (always having talking/discussions/dialogues in mind).

But... a post like Scarfalot's, which is neutral can actually alert mods and make them think on that matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

"The answer to hate speech is more speech."

And thus we discover how alliances full of wannabe fascist children and creepy anime not-quite-pedophiles totally get to slip under the radar.

The moderation staff consistently and continually err on the side of decorum at all costs instead of removing persons who are demonstrably acting in bad faith - breaking the spirit of the rules while adhering to the letter. The moderation staff has also repeatedly used their power to shut down complaints when they misbehave.

Regardless of what one might think, goons don't have an organized reporting campaign going. We all operate individually on that aspect.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

i2FSAiF.gif

50 minutes ago, Chief Wiggum said:

No idea what you are implying here.

I'm not *implying* anything. I'm straight up stating that some members of the moderation staff misuse their power to shut down people who complain about their behavior.

i2FSAiF.gif

I agree, OP, but only with your opening statement in the thread title: Stop rewarding bad behavior.

Stop rewarding hate speech, slurs, and other abusive forms of language by allowing them to continue, and encourage moderators to tell the offenders to stop and to issue strikes if needed. There doesn't need to be a debate about this.

Even if they may seem insignificant to you, minor infractions are still rule-breakers, and they still need to be dealt with accordingly or else the game can and will truly fester into an actual toxic environment that becomes a platform for spewing hatred.

Don't act like the reporting process in PnW is rewarding process, either. I find no personal satisfaction in discovering hurtful words in this game, nor do I enjoy putting in the effort to write up a report on this forum, knowing full well that people will (for some reason) downvote me because I'm standing up against abusive language. Reporting valid infractions is not and should not be considered 'bad behavior,' like the OP would have us think.  

That said, OP: you, sir, are on the wrong side of this debate, and you should seriously reconsider your position. If you don't, then I suppose you're the biggest, stickiest, suckiest "lollipop" I've ever seen, and I hope you shatter on the asphalt someday soon.

Be nice.

•  
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Improper-Request-2.gif

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, dragonshardz said:

I'm not *implying* anything. I'm straight up stating that some members of the moderation staff misuse their power to shut down people who complain about their behavior.

Expecting some kind of proof behind those accusations.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chief Wiggum said:

Expecting some kind of proof behind those accusations.

Also, 4 goons got 2 day suspensions for Tuco insulting us all directly, but Akuryo currently can insult mods and nothing happens. I would be happy to prove this but as there is no public log of moderation actions, can't really do that now can I?

There are also entire ingame communities that simply don't engage on the forum or official Discord due to the toxic and hateful poltroons who dominate those spaces, unpunished, and then get upset when someone is finally brave enough to call them out and make them face some sort of consequence.

So yeah, stop rewarding bad behavior. Stop letting facists, bigots, and other blatantly hateful people have a platform. Stop letting members of the moderation staff defend or protect them. Put some sunlight on the outcome of infractions.

Edited by dragonshardz
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

i2FSAiF.gif

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, dragonshardz said:

Also, 4 goons got 2 day suspensions for Tuco insulting us all directly, but Akuryo currently can insult mods and nothing happens. I would be happy to prove this but as there is no public log of moderation actions, can't really do that now can I?

There are also entire ingame communities that simply don't engage on the forum or official Discord due to the toxic and hateful poltroons who dominate those spaces, unpunished, and then get upset when someone is finally brave enough to call them out and make them face some sort of consequence.

The post you linked is about a Discord moderator, not a forum one. Also, in that case, not reacting to something hardly shows that "moderation staff misuse their power to shut down people who complain about their behavior". Shutting down people implies that you are muted, banned or anything that doesn't allow you to speak your mind freely. Which is not the case.

About members from your alliance getting warned, I don't see why this is a problem if they did break rules.

Regarding Akuryo's statement, I am a middled aged white woman loving minions' memes, so I can take the hit. :v

21 minutes ago, dragonshardz said:

So yeah, stop rewarding bad behavior. Stop letting facists, bigots, and other blatantly hateful people have a platform. Stop letting members of the moderation staff defend or protect them. Put some sunlight on the outcome of infractions.

You are free to show me an occasion where a forum mod has supported/defended/protected hate speech or how they give a platform to such speech.

• Upvote 3