Turkish Coup

Chapsie

I don't like to condone violence of any kind honestly, although with whatever regime the Turkish government had going on was not good for the country. I didn't read too much into it but I'm not exactly sure if the coup's replacement would be much better either. With Turkey going into the ways of religion within the state, I feel as though it might have been at the very least a wake-up call that they are not doing a very good job, and/or doing wrong. Does anyone have much information or thoughts about it?

These articles helped:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/turkey-coup-live-updates-explosion-8431256

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/world/live-blog-turkey/index.html

The Young Turks Video

Edited by Chappie
  • Upvote 1

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.

Erdogan ranting thus far is concerning if he hasn't just gone loopy. If he has then nothing to worry about, if he he hasn't and then puts down the coup then this becomes an obvious false flag. God has apparently given him an opportunity to "cleanse" the military (of the infidels?).

• Upvote 2

That pond scum Erdogan getting overthrown, well well this is nice to see. From what I know Erdogan has been trying to reduce the power of the generals (who will overthrow guys like him) for some time and as everyone knows he has been supporting Islamic terrorism, terrorism that has been killing a lot of Turkish people. It seems the generals have had enough and are removing the Islamic fanatic... nice to see, Kemal Atatürk would be proud.

America is apparently still supporting Erdogan but we'll see.

Some rumors going around that this could be seen as a "self coup", which means he could use this "coup" as false pretense for assuming "emergency" powers.

However, the coup is still ongoing, meaning the Turkish state medias attempt to label this as a failed "attempted coup" is utter garbage.

I don't know, personally, I support this coup. Some people try arguing that he was democratically elected and that "democracy must be upheld". However, to protect democracy shouldn't people overthrow an autocratic leader attempting to form a theocratic state that is also attempting to undermine Turkey's secular values? I mean, how can someone support a government that openly bombs Kurd's fighting ISIS, supplies Islamic fanatics, and intentionally tries to stir regional instability to be labeled as a "regional power". Oh, and let's not forget how the Turkish government funds mosques in the west that openly support radicalization of the youth.

Erdogan was planning to go to Ankara, but instead heads to Istanbul, meaning he doesn't even politically control nor militarily control his country as he claims.

And the U.S support for the Turkish government didn't really surprise me seeing how they're both members of NATO.

Edited by Krustev Gunther
  • Upvote 4

Some rumors going around that this could be seen as a "self coup", which means he could use as a false pretense for assuming "emergency" powers.

However, the coup is still ongoing, meaning the Turkish state media's attempt to label this as a failed "attempted coup" is utter garbage.

I don't know, personally, I support this coup. Some people try arguing that he was democratically elected and that "democracy must be upheld". However, to protect democracy shouldn't people overthrow an autocratic leader attempting to form a theocratic state that is also attempting to undermine Turkey's secular values? I mean, how can someone support a government that openly bombs Kurd's fighting ISIS, supplies Islamic fanatics, and intentionally tries to stir regional instability to be labeled as a "regional power". Oh, and let's not forget how the Turkish government funds mosques in the west that openly support radicalization of the youth.

Erdogan was planning to go to Ankara, but instead heads to Istanbul, meaning he doesn't even politically control nor militarily control his country as he claims. 

And the U.S support for the Turkish government didn't really surprise me seeing how they're both members of NATO.

Apparently some soldiers have surrendered to police already so it looks more sketchy as time goes on, hopefully just some oddities. If this really is an effort to rid himself of anyone in the military who could resist him then Turkey is finished as a secular country for certain. 

Kurdish civilians are currently erecting barricades in Diyarbakir according to friends inside Turkey. They fear that someone ErDOGan will try to turn this on them.

The PKK has been mobilized and is advising civilians to flee or hide.

Of course he will naturally. 

Oh, and never share The Young Turks again unless you want to pick apart their videos. They're genocide-denying, racist, apologist scumbags.

54fya5y.jpg?w=351&h=312

Thats always been a damaging effect on them as how can such pathetic "progressives" keep banging on about their nonsense when Cenk openly denies a genocide? From what I recall they actually did a video on Germany recognising the Armenian genocide. Cenk just so happened to be away at the time, and his new line now is that "he doesn't know enough about it" because thats a valid defense I suppose. If I said the Holocaust didn't happen and then when attacked stated, "Well I won't say it happened, but I'll don't know enough about it... thats enough to excuse me right?" it'd be fine according to dear Cenk. 

Was a terrible occurrence that needs a formal apology and possible reparations.

I love it when attempts to shame and label hypocrites are tried on people who heavily oppose the "norms". So many times I've personally had that sort of thing thrown my way, always nice how casually it can be torn apart. Soft ball. 

Edited by Rozalia
  • Upvote 2

Liveleaks been pretty disappointing, got some helicopters firing on ground targets and a tank running over people.

I wanted to see if the helicopters getting shot down or tanks getting taking out by f-16s was real.

Oh well. Mr. E will probably live through this and continue to support ISIS. shame really. thought for a second Turkey Might amount to something, but those that dared stand against his tyranny will probably get executed for treason. 

Edited by Callum
  • Upvote 3

HoloSig2017.png.afe1505c82cc3db09be025a9

Poorly planned and executed operation.

The fallout will firm up E's support and allow him significant freedom of internal and external action.

Yeah, incoming repression is just around the corner. 

With that being said, Erdogan can now fully place the military under civilian control, build a security apparatus, and slowing transform Turkey into another "Islamic Republic/State". Speculation, but highly likely to happen with the AKP (ruling party) in firm grip of control in the legislature. Victory for Islamism, loss for Secularism.

inb4 kurds are cited as the "problem"

• Upvote 1

Huh, PPK doing something would be interesting. 

update from the BBC.

'754 arrested from armed forces'
Posted at22:02

The AFP news agency is reporting that 754 members of Turkish armed forces have been arrested for involvement in the coup, citing Turkey's state-run Anatolia news agency.

It quoted a Turkish official saying that 29 colonels and five generals had been removed from their posts.

Edited by Callum

HoloSig2017.png.afe1505c82cc3db09be025a9

I would say overreach is the regime's only risk at this point. I do not think he would intentionally piss off the Kurds at this point.

He will be able to eliminate turkish threats and shore up his power.

-signature removed for rules violation-

Luckily the coup failed, I mean, Assad may be dicktator, but military wanting to create an Islam-based regime would be worst...

According to who? The military coup was done to stop an Islamist-regime, as it's prime goal was to upheld the very basis of a secular and democratic society, not go on and create an "Islam-based regime". However, Erdogan's government is far from secular, it funds Islamist organizations from Syria to abroad, while funding international mosques, and has in the past and still is trying to impose the very basis of sharia law.

Edited by Comrade Enver Hoxha
  • Upvote 3

Well it seems it was a false flag, a shame but oh well. 

Luckily the coup failed, I mean, Assad may be dicktator, but military wanting to create an Islam-based regime would be worst...

Uh... you have this backwards and I'm not all that sure where Assad comes in. The government is lead by a Islamic Fundamentalist and the army is considered the force of secularism.  

• Upvote 3

The Turkish Army (second largest in NATO) has always been the Guardian Dog of the Laicism of the Republic of Turkey and the adherence it's Goverment to Kemal Ataturk's ideals of westernization and secularism. Every single time the islamists won the elections and steered off course, the military moved in and smashed them.

This is the first time they fail. Looks like Erdogan has done a fine job taming the Army. I suppose that the pro-kurdish policy enforced by the USA in the last 15 years has forced the turkish military to choose between liberalism or nationalism. And in the end they chose Islamic Turkey before Broken Turkey.

Obama remained on the fence last night until it was clear that the coup had failed, then declared for Erdogan. The future is going to be interesting as an islamic Turkey can't be persuaded to yeld to the Kurds. And when (not "if", "when") hostilities break full (again) between the kurds and the turks, the USA will not be able to neglect a direct NATO ally like Turkey neither will be able to ignore the Kurds as the americans need them in Irak and Syria.

Edited by Ivan the Red
  • Upvote 1

So, it was most probably not a "false flag" to put that consipacy theory to rest.

I know you like to believe politians have no power and it's all state level, but this was very likely a staged event so he could remove certain people to increase his power. Thousands of judges for one who had no involvement have been purged to "deal with the treachery".

• Upvote 1

I know you like to believe politians have no power and it's all state level, but this was very likely a staged event so he could remove certain people to increase his power. Thousands of judges for one who had no involvement have been purged to "deal with the treachery".

And the most likely thing floating around at the moment is that this group heard they were going to be purge and acted to the best of their ability.

Conspiracy theories such as this false flag argument are full of holes and generally illogical.

But time may add more information.

As I said, E will have more power to act internally. This does not support a supposition that he set it up really.

-signature removed for rules violation-