Polygamy/Polyandry

Rozalia

You really gonna try and call out my lackluster rebuttal after the above? And so soon? At least wait 2 pages son.

When something is so ridiculously retarded, with obvious reasoning as to which I don't even have to say why it is, then I sure can just call it retarded. I can assure you that I have many flaws, and it's not hard to pick up on them, so why don't you use those as part of your arguments against me? Mayhaps you find it not to be the easiest way if arguing in opposition to someone, but it is certainly effective. Anyway, I tire of this petty conversation, so I'll be on my leave, sir. Have a good evening, and may you construct better arguments on the next occasion in which we cross paths again.

putin-trump-sig_zps657urhx9.jpg

When something is so ridiculously retarded, with obvious reasoning as to which I don't even have to say why it is, then I sure can just call it retarded. I can assure you that I have many flaws, and it's not hard to pick up on them, so why don't you use those as part of your arguments against me? Mayhaps you find it not to be the easiest way if arguing in opposition to someone, but it is certainly effective. Anyway, I tire of this petty conversation, so I'll be on my leave, sir. Have a good evening, and may you construct better arguments on the next occasion in which we cross paths again.

You have no basis for dismissing this, and you've provided no evidence. Why do I have to reach a standard that you've clearly not willing to hold yourself to?

The entire gamut of arguments against free love are either pearl clutching Helen Lovejoy sentiments or baseless accusations that normally follow the same slippery slopes as gay marriage. Having been on this side of this argument for years, I can safely assume that almost every single one of the arguments you would bring if you didn't "tire of this petty conversation" would be tracked back to simple western social conditioning and you would not have a single concrete reason why you or your government should be allowed interfere in the lives of consenting adults.

once again, cancer

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

It does affect monogomus people, beacuse a Monogamous people could be affected when their partners cheat on them, and say "it's polgymamy, and get with the time" or some s**t

How is that different than the normal cheating that is rampant among monogamous relationships? Going behind someones back on the matter is wrong that I much I agree and the partner who finds out their partner went behind their backs on the matter is well within their rights to end the relationship on those grounds, however if everything is done correctly and all parties know of the relationship and consent to it then where is the issue? I'm sure there are plenty of men and women married to each other who would very much like another party involved, more money all round, more love, more people to enjoy your life with, and more. In regards to the bedroom who knows, perhaps the woman likes some Lesbianism, perhaps the man likes some buggery, who are we to judge? 

Still it's worth noting your point as perhaps a reason why this is more resisted. Perhaps there are a lot of people who fear that without society looking down on people having more than one partner then they won't be able to maintain their own partner? That their partner will ask to get another partner one day, they'll refuse, and then that partner will say "Ciao"? 

Well I'm sorry, but if people can't maintain their relationships without the shaming of society then thats really bad too bad for them, git gud I suppose. 

It's a judgment call, isn't it? A handful of people with a premonition of the future isn't convincing enough to act, but neither is waiting until every stick-in-the-mud dies a good reason to wait. The common sense approach is to be sceptical of fads but also try not to be a silly Cnut!

I disagree, gradual change is terrible. It can be done in the very near future if those who support Intermarriage and Homosexuality all supported it, all if people didn't take your attitude of "well we can do it in 100 years or so, no worries" (I don't see difference from what you said then the wait and see). So you see instead of being "sensible", your view is anything but.

once again, cancer

You going to make an actual comment or just post cancer over and over?

• Upvote 1

I had no clue people still cared if the State recognizes their marriage or not, except for tax purposes.

The issue is that many nations ban polygamy, and I think that all have a complete ban on polyandry. I'm on the side of no government in marriage period, other than to restrict it to legal adults. It should go back to religious authorities, who can regulate their records as they wish. Anyone who wants a civil union should have a contract drafted that is open about the obligations, rather than a simple certificate that every family judge interprets differently.

Edited by Mike Haggar

You going to make an actual comment or just post cancer over and over?

If you can find something positive to be said about this thread then you'll have found something for me to talk about.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

If you can find something positive to be said about this thread then you'll have found something for me to talk about.

A thread doesn't have to be "positive". The subject matter is polygamy/polyandry and saying the thread is "cancer" doesn't say anything, you could be for or against for all we know.

polygamy is linked to capitalism where rich business owners use money to get lots of wife. should ban with capitalism 

Polygamy was at it's strongest before capitalism so poppycock. 

Well back then you would take the female daughter of the kingdom that you had defeated and took them as a wife. The more wives you had as a ruler showed your military might.

Well lots of wives means lots of kids which means lots of monies

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

That's why countries in Africa that have it legalized are largely undeveloped and poor?

It doesn't increase income, it does the opposite. 

Countries in Africa aren't poor or undeveloped due to Polygamy, the two things aren't connected and we're talking about Polygamy in a developed nation here, not the third world.

In the first world it depends. If a person gets another partner and that partner either works or allows the other same sex partner to work/work more then it does indeed mean more money. The only time it'll result in a decrease would be if both partners of the person didn't work, which would mean adding a second would just add another mouth to feed so to speak while bringing in nothing money wise.

Of course many relations may well go even with standard relationships as such units will likely have an increased want for children as having more members in the family unit means taking care of the children becomes easier. The increased births taking away the "need" for immigration is another boon I'd say. 

Edited by Rozalia

It's worth noting that most of us are talking about consensual polyamory and Abu brought up an example of medieval forced polygamy. That's rape your referring to bro.

Edited by durmij
  • Upvote 1

Although polygamy is a practice that has been romanticized on recent television programs, I do not believe that the popular fascination with it should extend to legalization. I think that polygamy is a misogynist practice that lends itself to the abuse of small children and women. Polygamist leaders are notorious for cases of abuse.

But hey, that's my perspective.

I understand and sort of agree with this but I have to go with the government should have no role in marriage crowd.  Civil unions yes, marriage no since in most cultures it's a religious bond anyway.  Pedophiles can be dealt with by simply making it illegal for anyone under 18 getting a civil union.  On an unrelated note I am for government sponsored castration of sex offenders in exchange for a more lenient sentence.  The surgical kind and not the chemical kind.

The issue is that many nations ban polygamy, and I think that all have a complete ban on polyandry. I'm on the side of no government in marriage period, other than to restrict it to legal adults. It should go back to religious authorities, who can regulate their records as they wish. Anyone who wants a civil union should have a contract drafted that is open about the obligations, rather than a simple certificate that every family judge interprets differently.

It should be left up to the ones getting married. The only "illegal" marriages should be the forced ones which the young adults do not agree to.

• Upvote 1

polygamy could allow nations liken Japan and Germany because they both suffer from ageing populations.

When i am old and if i had 30 kids and they each earn 50k a year, they would  help mewhen i can't work and provide me with money. 600k a year my kids would earn

Caliph of The Caliphate of Arabia. Caliph of the Islamic State of Arabia. Principle of The Principality of Chechnya. Grand Emir of The Emirate of The Caucus. Emperor of the Empire of Persia. Sultan of The Sultanates of Turkey and The Crimea. Czar of the Tsardom of The Balkans. Archon of The Archonate of Greece. Supreme Consul of The Consulate of Italy. Shah of The Shahdom Of Khorason

polygamy could allow nations liken Japan and Germany because they both suffer from ageing populations.

When i am old and if i had 30 kids and they each earn 50k a year, they would  help mewhen i can't work and provide me with money. 600k a year my kids would earn

Even though you're trolling, who's going to fund your kids into them gaining an education? Feed them? House them? 

inb4hesaysallah

Even though you're trolling, who's going to fund your kids into them gaining an education? Feed them? House them? 

inb4hesaysallah

Ah, the old dependents debate. Kids are generally cheaper on upkeep than the elderly (when you take medical bills into account), but the elderly are more capable of contributing to their family unit for the most part.

Everyone seems to be really stuck on polygamy, without considering polyandry or even line marriages. There's a few scenarios where a group marriage would be more capable of caring for children than a monogamous marriage.

1. Two males, one female. The males would all be able to contribute more for the female's children than a single male.

2. Stay-at-home spouse and two working spouses. It's much easier for two partners (male or female) to support the stay-at-home partner than a monogamous stay-at-home spouse and their working partner.

3. In the event of a partner experiencing a disability or medical emergency, it's much easier to cover the expense or loss of income if you have more than one partner.

4. In the case of a line marriage, a young couple with fewer resources could join up with an older one that had more resources.

5. Housing and cooking expenses are likely to go down, especially if you are sharing them across multiple people. Anyone with roommates would appreciate this.

6. Females that don't want to have children could still experience caring (and paying) for children without the drastic sacrifices to career, health, and lifestyle that their own children would require. A career woman could easily join up with a maternal woman to assist with costs and chores. Contrast this with the current career woman and single mom scenario where this isn't a possibility for either one. Kinda sucks that a childless woman is forced to have her own children if she wants a family, while the single mom is closed off from a potential avenue of support.

• Upvote 1

inb4hesaysallah

small investment on my behalf

and allah

You sound like a 5 year old playing house.

do i

People keep saying that the slippery slope argument is wrong, but it has happened. First it was allowing inter racial marriages, the conservatives said that after this, gays would be allowed to wed and society said that was just a slippery slope. Then the gays got married and now conservatives say that would lead to polygamy. Now people are talking about polygamous relationships and whats next? Pedophilia, beastiality, incest, marrying objects. The conservatives were right, so why should I not believe them? it may not happen now, but eventually it will. What happened to marriage along the way? what does it even mean anymore?

People keep saying that the slippery slope argument is wrong, but it has happened. First it was allowing inter racial marriages, the conservatives said that after this, gays would be allowed to wed and society said that was just a slippery slope. Then the gays got married and now conservatives say that would lead to polygamy. Now people are talking about polygamous relationships and whats next? Pedophilia, beastiality, incest, marrying objects. The conservatives were right, so why should I not believe them? it may not happen now, but eventually it will. What happened to marriage along the way? what does it even mean anymore?

Because the stuff that is legal and we are asking to be made legal involves consenting adults, and the other stuff doesn't. I know being a troll is your whole shtick, but try to add some originality next time.

• Upvote 3