College Help?

Alexander

So I am lowkey vomiting at the moment.

I will be going into my Junior year of high school as an IB student. My unweighted is a 3.68 and I am not proud of that. I will definitely be trying a lot better the next couple of years so I am expecting it to go up. I'll do some dual enrollment classes soon, so that will raise my weighted (4.01). It's not great but it is what it is.

I guess I was counting on a scholarship to an in-state school like University of Florida but I don't think I will get in, but I won't be able to afford it anyway.

My parents have about $4,000 saved up for me and they are doing the best they can. On top of that, I probably won't be able to get in to a good US school with my GPA so low. I refuse to go to a community college.

I've have always been held to very high expectations, and I haven't really disappointed my family academically my whole life so I don't know what my parents will say if I don't get into a good school like UF (let alone afford it).

So I have given up hoping for UF (I will probably still apply, but I am trying to get over the denial early so I am not miserable) and I want to pursue an education elsewhere.

As a result I am considering going overseas to places where college is free and simply pay for the cost of living. I want to major in engineering, not sure what type yet, probably electrical, renewable, or mechanical.

I have been specifically looking at the University of São Paulo in Brazil. Apparently it is a good school and all you have to pay is a small registration fee and the cost of living. I do speak a good amount of Portuguese, I am not fluent but I have the basics down. (I am also semi-fluent in Spanish). I love the culture, I love the language, I love the music, but to be honest, I am terrified.

I have also looked at the University of Munich in Germany. It is a great school and I have always wanted to go to Europe, but I don't know a lick of German. I don't have the safety fears I have in Brazil, but what use is Germany if I can't talk to anyone.

Anyways, to sum it up, I am terrified about college; not so much about college but about being alone in Germany or Brazil and standing in a street intersection looking for an ATM or something and I can't ask anyone for help.

I am looking for some insight from people who are more knowledgeable than me, especially because there are a lot of international people here.

I can't afford a domestic education so an international one is the next step. I guess my question is, where do you think I should go, Brazil, Germany, or somewhere else? What do you think is the best course for me?

Thanks so much for your response.

• Upvote 1

-- Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. --

e6Iegl7.jpg

First off, I feel your pain when it comes to never pleasing your parents academically. They even found something to !@#$ about during my graduation, which is supposed to be this big, happy event...but I digress. 

Anyway, my friend is also looking abroad, and after he goes through his two years of community college, he plans on transferring out to Germany. I think that may be your best option, no matter where you end up going. Take some electives in Portuguese/German (if they're offered), take two years to get the basics down, and transfer out. 

If it helps you out, my weighted was a 3.8, so you're already looking to do better than I did. :P

• Upvote 1
On 3/16/2016 at 9:54 PM, Lykos said:

Our next move is obviously rolling LordStrum. 

''...so that will raise my weighted (4.01). It's not great but it is what it is.''

Isn't a 4.0 G.P.A. like, great?

I refuse to go to a community college.

Beggars can't be choosers.

As a result I am considering going overseas to places where college is free and simply pay for the cost of living.

I suppose that's a fair idea, but going to a foreign country by, as you detailed further in your post, it won't be the simplest of experiences.

I want to major in engineering, not sure what type yet, probably electrical, renewable, or mechanical.

Smart move, there will always be a demand for those kind of jobs.

Anyways, my piece of advice is that for financial help, you just go into your state's National Guard for a few years. Not just do you get your college paid for, but you learn how to use and maintain a firearm and learn good discipline.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

First off, I feel your pain when it comes to never pleasing your parents academically. They even found something to !@#$ about during my graduation, which is supposed to be this big, happy event...but I digress. 

Anyway, my friend is also looking abroad, and after he goes through his two years of community college, he plans on transferring out to Germany. I think that may be your best option, no matter where you end up going. Take some electives in Portuguese/German (if they're offered), take two years to get the basics down, and transfer out. 

If it helps you out, my weighted was a 3.8, so you're already looking to do better than I did.  :P

Parents can be crazy, but what can you do.

Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, the unfortunate thing is my school doesn't offer German or Portuguese and my one slot for an elective is filled by an engineering program at my school (it is called Project Lead the Way if anyone is wondering). I guess I could take Portuguese or German at the community college for free, via dual enrollment, but it could damage my weighted GPA if for some reason I don't do okay. 

Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isn't a 4.0 G.P.A. like, great?

If it is unweighted it is fantastic.

Edited by Alex

-- Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. --

e6Iegl7.jpg

Beggars can't be choosers.

I suppose but then that begs the question, why am I putting myself through Hell in the IB program?

Here is some info by the way http://www.ibo.org

IB is comprable to AICE, or AP, but your entire high school core courses are predetermined and it's a lot of flipping work.

I could do regular classes and get a 4.0 unweighted GPA, but competition is so crazy now with colleges, that they are going to accept the 3.9 GPA in IB over you.

Edited by Alex

e6Iegl7.jpg

I suppose but then that begs the question, why am I putting myself through Hell in the IB program?

Here is some info by the way http://www.ibo.org

IB is comprable to AICE, or AP, but your entire high school core courses are predetermined and it's a lot of flipping work.

I could do regular classes and get a 4.0 unweighted GPA, but competition is so crazy now with colleges, that they are going to accept the 3.9 GPA in IB over you.

Alright, I see what you're saying.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

Guest hawkeye

Colleges are nothing more then places of indoctrination in order to keep you complacent for when the Illuminati bring forth the New World Order.

Here's my suggestion: reconsider your feelings about community college.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with knocking out a lot of prerequisite courses for a lot cheaper and then transferring into a 4-year college (you just have to make sure all your credits transfer which, since you are starting so early, would be easy to verify for whatever program you want to get into).

As for foreign schools, I couldn't recommend more strongly against it, especially since you aren't fluent in the language.  College is hard and it will be significantly harder if you can not understand everything your professor is saying (hell, even in US colleges it can be hard to understand professors and I can only begin to fathom how hard it would be to understand Portuguese spoken with a strong French accent).  In addition, you'll experience the massiveness of culture shock, along with all the issues that come along with being a freshman.  

So, once again, you should reconsider community college.  In my honors introductory course (in my major), two students had completed most of their prereqs at a community college and I was jealous because of how much money they saved for what is essentially the same courses (because at those low levels, they are, essentially, the same courses). 

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 6

So I am lowkey vomiting at the moment.

I will be going into my Junior year of high school as an IB student. My unweighted is a 3.68 and I am not proud of that. I will definitely be trying a lot better the next couple of years so I am expecting it to go up. I'll do some dual enrollment classes soon, so that will raise my weighted (4.01). It's not great but it is what it is.

I guess I was counting on a scholarship to an in-state school like University of Florida but I don't think I will get in, but I won't be able to afford it anyway.

My parents have about $4,000 saved up for me and they are doing the best they can. On top of that, I probably won't be able to get in to a good US school with my GPA so low. I refuse to go to a community college.

I've have always been held to very high expectations, and I haven't really disappointed my family academically my whole life so I don't know what my parents will say if I don't get into a good school like UF (let alone afford it).

So I have given up hoping for UF (I will probably still apply, but I am trying to get over the denial early so I am not miserable) and I want to pursue an education elsewhere.

As a result I am considering going overseas to places where college is free and simply pay for the cost of living. I want to major in engineering, not sure what type yet, probably electrical, renewable, or mechanical.

I have been specifically looking at the University of São Paulo in Brazil. Apparently it is a good school and all you have to pay is a small registration fee and the cost of living. I do speak a good amount of Portuguese, I am not fluent but I have the basics down. (I am also semi-fluent in Spanish). I love the culture, I love the language, I love the music, but to be honest, I am terrified.

I have also looked at the University of Munich in Germany. It is a great school and I have always wanted to go to Europe, but I don't know a lick of German. I don't have the safety fears I have in Brazil, but what use is Germany if I can't talk to anyone.

Anyways, to sum it up, I am terrified about college; not so much about college but about being alone in Germany or Brazil and standing in a street intersection looking for an ATM or something and I can't ask anyone for help.

I am looking for some insight from people who are more knowledgeable than me, especially because there are a lot of international people here.

I can't afford a domestic education so an international one is the next step. I guess my question is, where do you think I should go, Brazil, Germany, or somewhere else? What do you think is the best course for me?

Thanks so much for your response.

Wow - you and I are very similar. My situation was different - I did excellent in high school, class valedictorian (I just graduated on May 29th ^_^ ) and a 4.45 weighted GPA, but I didn't even get enough scholarship money to go to college at ALL this year. I applied to MIT, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Ohio State and Kentucky; I was accepted to the latter three, but none of them gave me enough financial aid to afford it. I too didn't want to go to a community college (mainly because I won't be eligible for freshman scholarships when I reapply in a couple months), so this year I am working and doing some studying on my own. In fact, today is my birthday and I got Rosetta Stone for German.

In addition, I actually thought about going international myself, to Germany no less; however, I was looking at the Technische Universitat in Berlin (in the end I did not apply there, though). I don't know much about international school or anything like that, but I would really encourage you to give it a shot! It gives you a great opportunity to learn a lot about other languages and cultures, and that gives you a huge advantage when you graduate from college and enter the workforce - more job opportunity and higher pay. Especially in the engineering field, and for yet another similarity, I too am doing engineering (robotics, and I plan to minor in world language - Spanish, Latin and German. I have already had four years of Spanish and one of Latin, and I am starting German on my own).

However, just to encourage you, if you take wise classes and work hard for your last two years of high school, you'll probably have better luck than you think when getting into state schools (and you're sure to have better luck than I did, haha); it is definitely good that you are trying hard to improve your GPA, but don't be discouraged if it isn't quite what you hoped for, because chances are you will still end up well above the average. Not to mention that there are other ways than grades of demonstrating that you are a hard worker and a determined student. When you reach application season next year, I would advise you to 1) start your applications super early (like in August or September, whenever your schools' applications become available) and 2) use every bit of free time to apply for scholarships, including ones offered from your local community (I didn't get much out of that because the ones offered around here are all for agriculture students, haha). And don't be afraid of interviews or other additional things in order to qualify for scholarships or schools - the more chances you have, the better. It will be very stressful, that's a given - but it will be a lot more satisfying for you to take the stress and do well, rather than just skim by and get hit with stress later when you don't succeed on your applications.

In short, work hard and keep yourself set on getting accepted to state schools and any other places you want to go - and likewise, don't be afraid of studying international. It's a new and strange experience, but you will thank yourself immensely if you go through with it. :)

• Upvote 1

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

Here's my suggestion: reconsider your feelings about community college.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with knocking out a lot of prerequisite courses for a lot cheaper and then transferring into a 4-year college (you just have to make sure all your credits transfer which, since you are starting so early, would be easy to verify for whatever program you want to get into).

As for foreign schools, I couldn't recommend more strongly against it, especially since you aren't fluent in the language.  College is hard and it will be significantly harder if you can not understand everything your professor is saying (hell, even in US colleges it can be hard to understand professors and I can only begin to fathom how hard it would be to understand Portuguese spoken with a strong French accent).  In addition, you'll experience the massiveness of culture shock, along with all the issues that come along with being a freshman.  

(still directed to Alex, but quoting Cow) He is very correct that you should not be afraid of going to community college if you have to. The reason I didn't go in my situation is because it would void my eligibility for most of the scholarships, and given that I have two siblings in college and a parent who has begun studying for nursing, I need scholarships very badly. If that problem does not apply so directly to you, then by all means leave community college as an option for yourself. It certainly isn't top-notch, but it is a great way to start and it demonstrates that you are willing to do what it takes to learn.

About foreign schools, no no - they are very good opportunities. They don't just throw you in a classroom and start shouting at you in an unfamiliar language. Most foreign schools have programs for students who do not know the local language - often you can spend a year or more in these programs before you start your more focused education. Sometimes these programs are purely language-learning through total immersion, and sometimes they are more gradual and they involve either basic other subjects OR courses taught in English. If fluency was required for anyone desiring to study internationally then far fewer people would be open to the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying international schooling is a milk run - it can be, and almost certainly will be, very demanding and stressful at first - but it will pay off very well. And in any case, the best thing you can do is learn more about it; talk to people, read about the international schools you want to consider, find out what their programs are for international students, etc. The more you know, the more comfortable you may feel, or you may decide it just isn't for you. But don't give up on it because it seems too hard or stressful.

• Upvote 1

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

3.68 unweighted, with AP and IB? UF is a good school, but with a good SAT score and good extra-curriculars you should have a solid chance. I got into the University of Washington, a very similarly ranked school, with these attributes.

3.5 GPA unweighted

2110 SAT

School ASB President, Captain of Water Polo Team, State-Qualifying wrestler

This makes me sound a whole lot more competent than I was/am, but you get the point. 

UF is not impossible for you, and even if you don't get in, FSU and FIU are absolute locks. 

As far as money, if you dont mind me asking, what ethnicity are you? There are oftentimes scholarships for ethnic groups, from Italians, to black people, to Hispanic people. There are looots of scholarships available.

As far as going foreign, it's very possible, but I highly suggest using language learners to learn Protuagese/German if you do go overseas.

Here's data on UF acceptance: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/GPA-SAT-ACT-Graphs/ss/university-of-florida-admission-gpa-sat-act.htm

As you can see, a decent SAT will take you a long way.

Edited by MRBOOTY
  • Upvote 2

MR BOOTY IN DA HOUSE

Here's data on UF acceptance: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/GPA-SAT-ACT-Graphs/ss/university-of-florida-admission-gpa-sat-act.htm

^You (Alex) can also help yourself by taking SAT Subject Tests, if your ACT/SAT score is lower. In my area we take the ACT, but if you intend to do engineering, you can take the SAT Subject Tests for Math I or II or Physics. If you do well on them and send the scores to UF or another similar school, it will help you get accepted and it will also help you get additional scholarships. In my case, I used SAT Subject Tests to help get engineering department scholarships from Ohio State (although MIT and Princeton required me to take several as well).

Edited by Roma
  • Upvote 1

Is it actually true that anyone from anywhere can hop over to Germany and get an extensive education for free? Are you sure international students don't have some tuition obligation that resident/citizen students don't? 

Edited by Avruch
  • Upvote 1

Is it actually true that anyone from anywhere can hop over to Germany and get an extensive education for free? Are you sure international students don't have some tuition obligation that resident/citizen students don't? 

It's not that they don't have to pay anything, or that they pay less than citizen students. It's chiefly that the United States is very poorly developed when it comes to educational funding; in other countries, especially Germany, the government pays for a large portion of tuition, including for international students.

For example, going to a decent in-state school in the US can cost around $18,000 per year, including room and board and other fees. Now take the Technische Universitat Berlin, where I was considering applying; it would only have cost me about $5,000 total per year to attend. That's only a little bit more expensive than community college here.

EDIT: Correction, a decent in-state public school. Private schools vary.

Edited by Roma
  • Upvote 2

Fees are very low even for international students.  But Munich has a very high cost of living.

//////

What did you get on your SAT mate?  Do you do any sports or any activities?

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

So, once again, you should reconsider community college.  In my honors introductory course (in my major), two students had completed most of their prereqs at a community college and I was jealous because of how much money they saved for what is essentially the same courses (because at those low levels, they are, essentially, the same courses). 

Hope this helps.

I guess I am not completely excusing community college, it is just all of the essays, getting 4 hours of sleep a day, all the homework,and  all of the IB work for feels like it was nothing. University of Florida's in-state tuition isn't too bad in comparison to other colleges, and it's comparable to community colleges in my area. Although, I have been told with IB, at least at most American schools, I can pretty much skip freshman year as the IB diploma will cover that and a little more (language for one, because I am taking 4 years of it.)

As far as what your are saying with the language barrier, from research, University of São Paulo mainly offers their courses in Portuguese, but they offer free classes to learn it, so it helps a little. University of Munich has plenty of classes in English, and if i end up in Germany, I will probably end up learning German.

With the culture shock part, Brazil won't be too bad because I have been immersed in Latin American culture my entire life. What I am worried about is the standard of living because I obviously can't afford much. I will be able to communicate barely enough to get by though. On the other hand, Germany is the complete opposite: I've never been exposed to anything German, except I don't know, bratwursts; does that even count? Standard of living there won't be an issue I think, but again I can't speak a lick of German.

Wow - you and I are very similar. My situation was different - I did excellent in high school, class valedictorian (I just graduated on May 29th  ^_^ ) and a 4.45 weighted GPA, but I didn't even get enough scholarship money to go to college at ALL this year. I applied to MIT, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Ohio State and Kentucky; I was accepted to the latter three, but none of them gave me enough financial aid to afford it. I too didn't want to go to a community college (mainly because I won't be eligible for freshman scholarships when I reapply in a couple months), so this year I am working and doing some studying on my own. In fact, today is my birthday and I got Rosetta Stone for German.

In addition, I actually thought about going international myself, to Germany no less; however, I was looking at the Technische Universitat in Berlin (in the end I did not apply there, though). I don't know much about international school or anything like that, but I would really encourage you to give it a shot! It gives you a great opportunity to learn a lot about other languages and cultures, and that gives you a huge advantage when you graduate from college and enter the workforce - more job opportunity and higher pay. Especially in the engineering field, and for yet another similarity, I too am doing engineering (robotics, and I plan to minor in world language - Spanish, Latin and German. I have already had four years of Spanish and one of Latin, and I am starting German on my own).

However, just to encourage you, if you take wise classes and work hard for your last two years of high school, you'll probably have better luck than you think when getting into state schools (and you're sure to have better luck than I did, haha); it is definitely good that you are trying hard to improve your GPA, but don't be discouraged if it isn't quite what you hoped for, because chances are you will still end up well above the average. Not to mention that there are other ways than grades of demonstrating that you are a hard worker and a determined student. When you reach application season next year, I would advise you to 1) start your applications super early (like in August or September, whenever your schools' applications become available) and 2) use every bit of free time to apply for scholarships, including ones offered from your local community (I didn't get much out of that because the ones offered around here are all for agriculture students, haha). And don't be afraid of interviews or other additional things in order to qualify for scholarships or schools - the more chances you have, the better. It will be very stressful, that's a given - but it will be a lot more satisfying for you to take the stress and do well, rather than just skim by and get hit with stress later when you don't succeed on your applications.

In short, work hard and keep yourself set on getting accepted to state schools and any other places you want to go - and likewise, don't be afraid of studying international. It's a new and strange experience, but you will thank yourself immensely if you go through with it.  :)

Thanks for the advice :). I am not completely dismissing American colleges. I mean, if money wasn't an issue, I'd rather stay here. The sucky thing is at my high school, I can't choose any of my classes when I am in IB. I get to choose an elective (engineering) so the only classes I can take are at the local community college. I am fine with this, as it will boost my weighted GPA. (a couple of friends took a few classes and boosted their weighted like .4 points, which is worth it). I took pre-calc sophomore year, and junior year I am taking IB Statistics; senior year will be IB Math. At the college I am planning on taking physics, calculus, and perhaps Portuguese or German.

(still directed to Alex, but quoting Cow) He is very correct that you should not be afraid of going to community college if you have to. The reason I didn't go in my situation is because it would void my eligibility for most of the scholarships, and given that I have two siblings in college and a parent who has begun studying for nursing, I need scholarships very badly. If that problem does not apply so directly to you, then by all means leave community college as an option for yourself. It certainly isn't top-notch, but it is a great way to start and it demonstrates that you are willing to do what it takes to learn.

About foreign schools, no no - they are very good opportunities. They don't just throw you in a classroom and start shouting at you in an unfamiliar language. Most foreign schools have programs for students who do not know the local language - often you can spend a year or more in these programs before you start your more focused education. Sometimes these programs are purely language-learning through total immersion, and sometimes they are more gradual and they involve either basic other subjects OR courses taught in English. If fluency was required for anyone desiring to study internationally then far fewer people would be open to the experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying international schooling is a milk run - it can be, and almost certainly will be, very demanding and stressful at first - but it will pay off very well. And in any case, the best thing you can do is learn more about it; talk to people, read about the international schools you want to consider, find out what their programs are for international students, etc. The more you know, the more comfortable you may feel, or you may decide it just isn't for you. But don't give up on it because it seems too hard or stressful.

Again, I am open to community college but I really don't want student loan debt when I am 45 like my mother and again, thanks :).

3.68 unweighted, with AP and IB? UF is a good school, but with a good SAT score and good extra-curriculars you should have a solid chance. I got into the University of Washington, a very similarly ranked school, with these attributes.

3.5 GPA unweighted

2110 SAT

School ASB President, Captain of Water Polo Team, State-Qualifying wrestler

This makes me sound a whole lot more competent than I was/am, but you get the point. 

UF is not impossible for you, and even if you don't get in, FSU and FIU are absolute locks. 

As far as money, if you dont mind me asking, what ethnicity are you? There are oftentimes scholarships for ethnic groups, from Italians, to black people, to Hispanic people. There are looots of scholarships available.

As far as going foreign, it's very possible, but I highly suggest using language learners to learn Protuagese/German if you do go overseas.

AP, IB, and Dual Enrollment. Dual Enrollment is a big thing in Florida for some reason. I took the PSAT like the second week of freshman year and got a 1650 equivalent. I think I'll get in the 2100 range on my SAT for sure. As far as stats, student council, NEXUS (webmaster for school), National Honor Society and a sh** ton of volunteer hours (200+ so far).

FSU is out simply because of all of the FSU bashing I have done in my day. With ethnicity, I am half hispanic, and 1/8 Chinese (that may not count).

In all seriousness, if I get into UF but don't get enough financial aid, I probably won't go to an American university. That is probably bad thinking but I don't want to be halfway though my life and still be paying off student loans; that is probably one of my main concerns.

^You (Alex) can also help yourself by taking SAT Subject Tests, if your ACT/SAT score is lower. In my area we take the ACT, but if you intend to do engineering, you can take the SAT Subject Tests for Math I or II or Physics. If you do well on them and send the scores to UF or another similar school, it will help you get accepted and it will also help you get additional scholarships. In my case, I used SAT Subject Tests to help get engineering department scholarships from Ohio State (although MIT and Princeton required me to take several as well).

Thanks. Do you recommend taking SAT or ACT or both?

• Upvote 1

e6Iegl7.jpg

Fees are very low even for international students.  But Munich has a very high cost of living.

//////

What did you get on your SAT mate?  Do you do any sports or any activities?

Haven't taken SAT yet. I think I do that late Junior year which would be in like 6-8 months. I mentioned extra-curriculurs on my other post but as far as sports, I am pretty good at soccer and played it in elementary and middle school but especially this upcoming school year, it will be much more involved because I will be out of Pre-IB and into the full IB program and I will be starting Dual Enrollment at the college.

My commute to school is pretty long too so I have to wake up pretty early and I get home later than most. The only reason I mention that is because it really sucks up my time.

How high is Munich's cost of living? I am not looking for a number, but I mean in comparison to a semi-urban town in the US? 

Edited by Alex

e6Iegl7.jpg

I feel like I haven't really asked any question, probably because I have no idea what I am asking but I'll try to formulate a question.

What college do you recommend (domestic, international)? I am simply looking for a cheap (free? :)) quality engineering education and I will honestly travel anywhere to get it. How did you/are you going to pay for it? Are you still paying for student loans? What are you opinions on traveling abroad for education?

Edited by Alex

e6Iegl7.jpg

Haven't taken SAT yet. I think I do that late Junior year which would be in like 6-8 months. I mentioned extra-curriculurs on my other post but as far as sports, I am pretty good at soccer and played it in elementary and middle school but especially this upcoming school year, it will be much more involved because I will be out of Pre-IB and into the full IB program and I will be starting Dual Enrollment at the college.

My commute to school is pretty long too so I have to wake up pretty early and I get home later than most. The only reason I mention that is because it really sucks up my time.

How high is Munich's cost of living? I am not looking for a number, but I mean in comparison to a semi-urban town in the US? 

I took the SAT the first time early my junior year.  You need one soonish to get your early application in.

You NEED to do something outside of school work.  Chess club, soccer, drama club, whatever.  This will be a strong discriminator.

Munich's cost of living is quite high.  Particularly considering the conversion rate.  Having lived in Bavaria without speaking German when I went...you can survive.  Donno about school.  What language do they teach in?

• Upvote 1

-signature removed for rules violation-

First Question, Why are you going to College at all? What area are you looking to study?

Step back for a second and take a look at the big picture and if you can't see it ask someone.

Thanks for the advice :). I am not completely dismissing American colleges. I mean, if money wasn't an issue, I'd rather stay here. The sucky thing is at my high school, I can't choose any of my classes when I am in IB. I get to choose an elective (engineering) so the only classes I can take are at the local community college. I am fine with this, as it will boost my weighted GPA. (a couple of friends took a few classes and boosted their weighted like .4 points, which is worth it). I took pre-calc sophomore year, and junior year I am taking IB Statistics; senior year will be IB Math. At the college I am planning on taking physics, calculus, and perhaps Portuguese or German.

The best thing to do is simply know your options very thoroughly. You still have a comfortable amount of time; it may help you to do college visits at UF and other state schools you might consider. Some colleges offer small little extras for students that have done visits, interviews, etc. International schooling is, in many ways, even better than staying in the US; however, I would advise that you do your best with some schools here in the US, as you may need to fall back on them. Even if you don't like the schools that end up being options for you, it is good to at least start there and try to transfer or find opportunities to study abroad and the like.

I'm not familiar with IB classes - we only do AP classes in my area. However, if it boosts your GPA and IB classes are more demanding than ordinary courses, then it would be wise to take as many as you can within reason. It can be stressful and difficult, but you tend to learn a lot more and they certainly showcase your skills as a student. In my senior year, five of my seven classes were AP, and the other two were Latin and physics; it gave me a lot of pressure, but even with my bad luck on applications last year, I am still in an excellent position for college applications thanks to my transcript.

Again, I am open to community college but I really don't want student loan debt when I am 45 like my mother and again, thanks :).

If you know what you're doing, community college can really help cut down on college costs. Obviously they are far cheaper than ordinary schools, but in addition to that, if you are willing to stay at the community college for two years or so, you can shave off a lot of college courses that would have been much more expensive at a larger college. In other words, when you do move to a bigger and better school, you won't have to pay for the classes you've already taken care of. Again, community college isn't glamorous, but it will do the trick if it's the only feasible option you have.

Thanks. Do you recommend taking SAT or ACT or both?

The ACT was really easy for me - I got a 35, which is one point away from a perfect score (I took it six times though, haha) - but for most other people, I think the SAT is a better test. The ACT is more focused on the ability to answer quickly, while the SAT's timing and format gives much greater focus to accuracy (for example, you lose points on the SAT for wrong answers, while on the ACT you are encouraged to guess if you're low on time). Depending on which test is administered in your area - the SAT or ACT - I would advise you to take that test multiple times if you can (you can pay to go to a testing session on set dates). Most people can significantly improve their scores by repeating testing, and the experience is much more valuable than buying method books for those tests.

And if the cost is within reason for you, I would definitely recommend the SAT Subject Tests for math and physics when you start your senior year (a year from now, of course). They won't mean much if you're going with an international school, but they'll help a great deal with any schools to which you apply in the US, as long as you stick with engineering.

Also, this is a bit more random, but as this is your junior year, I would strongly urge you to join National Honor Society, if your school does it. That's a big badge on your college applications especially if you have plenty of volunteer hours.

I feel like I haven't really asked any question, probably because I have no idea what I am asking but I'll try to formulate a question.

What college do you recommend (domestic, international)? I am simply looking for a cheap (free? :)) quality engineering education and I will honestly travel anywhere to get it. How did you/are you going to pay for it? Are you still paying for student loans? What are you opinions on traveling abroad for education?

1). As long as you mean domestic vs. international and not a specific school, put your focus on domestic schools, as they are much more likely to be within reason for you. But if you decide you don't really like the schools available to you in the US, or you think you're up to the challenge, international schooling is certainly no mistake. In case you meant specific schools, Ohio State (I'm a buckeye fan B) ). Lots of resources, a good reputation for helping individual students (at least by the standards of schools as huge as OSU), a nice campus, and it's very well-known for its engineering department. It also offers some pretty big out-of-state scholarships that aren't too difficult to qualify for, like the National Buckeye Scholarship.

2). About paying for college, like I said, try to use as much time as possible applying to different scholarships you can find. Even if they are small scholarships, they'll add up, and a couple days of work on an essay is certainly worth a couple thousand dollars each time. In addition, since you're doing engineering, it is extremely wise for you to find co-op or internship work near the college you attend. Often they will pay very good money (sometimes $25 an hour, which is outstanding for intern work), and it provides some valuable skills that you often don't learn much in classes.

3). N/A for student loans - but my advice is, avoid them if you can. They are useful mainly for paying off what the colleges require out-of-pocket, but you don't want to use them for any more than that. They can produce a great deal of trouble after you leave college and start your first job.

4). As for traveling abroad, you know my opinion on that, haha. Definitely go for if you think you're up to it. Tough, but worth it.

• Upvote 1

I took the SAT the first time early my junior year.  You need one soonish to get your early application in.

You NEED to do something outside of school work.  Chess club, soccer, drama club, whatever.  This will be a strong discriminator.

Munich's cost of living is quite high.  Particularly considering the conversion rate.  Having lived in Bavaria without speaking German when I went...you can survive.  Donno about school.  What language do they teach in?

You're right, I do. I am currently involved in student council, NEXUS (webmaster for school), National Honor Society and I have a sh** ton of volunteer hours (200+ so far). I a, planning on Beta club this school year.

University of Munich has a significant majority of classes in English :).

First Question, Why are you going to College at all? What area are you looking to study?

Step back for a second and take a look at the big picture and if you can't see it ask someone.

I am going to college to be Engineer.

The best thing to do is simply know your options very thoroughly. You still have a comfortable amount of time; it may help you to do college visits at UF and other state schools you might consider. Some colleges offer small little extras for students that have done visits, interviews, etc. International schooling is, in many ways, even better than staying in the US; however, I would advise that you do your best with some schools here in the US, as you may need to fall back on them. Even if you don't like the schools that end up being options for you, it is good to at least start there and try to transfer or find opportunities to study abroad and the like.

I'm not familiar with IB classes - we only do AP classes in my area. However, if it boosts your GPA and IB classes are more demanding than ordinary courses, then it would be wise to take as many as you can within reason. It can be stressful and difficult, but you tend to learn a lot more and they certainly showcase your skills as a student. In my senior year, five of my seven classes were AP, and the other two were Latin and physics; it gave me a lot of pressure, but even with my bad luck on applications last year, I am still in an excellent position for college applications thanks to my transcript.

If you know what you're doing, community college can really help cut down on college costs. Obviously they are far cheaper than ordinary schools, but in addition to that, if you are willing to stay at the community college for two years or so, you can shave off a lot of college courses that would have been much more expensive at a larger college. In other words, when you do move to a bigger and better school, you won't have to pay for the classes you've already taken care of. Again, community college isn't glamorous, but it will do the trick if it's the only feasible option you have.

The ACT was really easy for me - I got a 35, which is one point away from a perfect score (I took it six times though, haha) - but for most other people, I think the SAT is a better test. The ACT is more focused on the ability to answer quickly, while the SAT's timing and format gives much greater focus to accuracy (for example, you lose points on the SAT for wrong answers, while on the ACT you are encouraged to guess if you're low on time). Depending on which test is administered in your area - the SAT or ACT - I would advise you to take that test multiple times if you can (you can pay to go to a testing session on set dates). Most people can significantly improve their scores by repeating testing, and the experience is much more valuable than buying method books for those tests.

And if the cost is within reason for you, I would definitely recommend the SAT Subject Tests for math and physics when you start your senior year (a year from now, of course). They won't mean much if you're going with an international school, but they'll help a great deal with any schools to which you apply in the US, as long as you stick with engineering.

Also, this is a bit more random, but as this is your junior year, I would strongly urge you to join National Honor Society, if your school does it. That's a big badge on your college applications especially if you have plenty of volunteer hours.

1). As long as you mean domestic vs. international and not a specific school, put your focus on domestic schools, as they are much more likely to be within reason for you. But if you decide you don't really like the schools available to you in the US, or you think you're up to the challenge, international schooling is certainly no mistake. In case you meant specific schools, Ohio State (I'm a buckeye fan B) ). Lots of resources, a good reputation for helping individual students (at least by the standards of schools as huge as OSU), a nice campus, and it's very well-known for its engineering department. It also offers some pretty big out-of-state scholarships that aren't too difficult to qualify for, like the National Buckeye Scholarship.

2). About paying for college, like I said, try to use as much time as possible applying to different scholarships you can find. Even if they are small scholarships, they'll add up, and a couple days of work on an essay is certainly worth a couple thousand dollars each time. In addition, since you're doing engineering, it is extremely wise for you to find co-op or internship work near the college you attend. Often they will pay very good money (sometimes $25 an hour, which is outstanding for intern work), and it provides some valuable skills that you often don't learn much in classes.

3). N/A for student loans - but my advice is, avoid them if you can. They are useful mainly for paying off what the colleges require out-of-pocket, but you don't want to use them for any more than that. They can produce a great deal of trouble after you leave college and start your first job.

4). As for traveling abroad, you know my opinion on that, haha. Definitely go for if you think you're up to it. Tough, but worth it.

Luckily I am a part of NHS and currently have a little over 200 hours.

And thanks for everything else you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

e6Iegl7.jpg

A sincere thanks to everyone who replied. It calmed my nerves a bit and it was very informative.

But a little more info in case anyone was curious:

It is almost like I want to get out of the US and start over. I want to experience the world as soon as I can, and if that means going to college (for free) then it is worth it, to me. I guess what I wanted to get out of this thread is for a bunch of people to be like, "Hey, come to Germany. College is free, the cost of living is cheap, and the University is taught in English. You don't even have to know German because everyone speaks English!".

Yet, I am not looking for something easy.  I am looking for something cheap, quality, and new. If I have to learn Phoenician by the time high school is up, I will.

And for those offering insight on domestic colleges, I certainly held that information to great value because I might not get to go abroad.

Edited by Alex

e6Iegl7.jpg