Underwhelming Spy Result

Saopha Calas Vaduum

I just used 9 spies against the soldiers of a nation with one spy. The wiki said I could kill up to 3,000 soldiers.

You successfully detonated an explosive in a barracks in Federation of the Americas. Your spies killed 441 soldiers. Your agents were able to operate undetected. The operation cost you $90,000.00 and 0 of your spies were captured and executed. Save this information somewhere safe; after you leave this page you will not be able to see this intelligence report again without executing another operation.

Is this a possible bug? Because otherwise that "up to" needs to be revised as it is seriously misleading. I would have been happy killing 1500 or so, as it's within an order of magnitude, but damn that just felt like a massive waste of money.

- Saopha Legatus Calas Vaduum, Lord General Big Shots of Charming Friends

We are the c h a̼̻Í̖͇ r m i̇͡ n g f r i e n d s and we are t͙̙̹͎̻͓̭͢͜͢h̢̘͕̪̹͓̟͉̰̀̕Ì̯͎̫͈̬͓eÌ¡ÍžÌ™Ì¬Í‰Ì²ÌœÍ Í҉̥̖̮̠͇͔̙͓͠c̀͜͢Í̟͖̳̠̕r̲͚͖̩͜͞͞ự̡̲̳̖̀̕͠ÌÍ̞̠̪͙Í̤̠e̢̡̜̗̬̩̭͇̟͉̱̜l̛͟Í͎͔̲̫͇̜̙͚eÍÍ̟̱̭͎͎̖̗͚͚̦̼̕sÍœÍ̵̡͕̙̬̹͈̺̯̣̱̱̗̩̼͟Ì̯̺͈t̀͠͞͞Ì̜̫̩̟̙͔ ̡̛҉̙̘̼͚̙̀͟ÍÍ͓̱̲͓̻̗oÍ̸Í̸͔̤̼̩̳͎͔͈͢f̶̴̢̬̺͔̮̱̫͓̘͟ ̢͉̞̪̦̣̼͓͞Í̫̻̹͖͉̮͇͙ͅf͘̕ÍÍ¢Í͕̻̱Ì̞̫͖̹̫͔̳oÍ̴̘̣̟̪̞̱͙̣̭̞̭̥̘͕͜ÌeÍ̢̯̪̙̪͜͜͞s̸͟Í͙̲̣̜̲̞̜͇̲̤̮̗͔͇͈̺̯

Qc9CHg7.png

The amount of spies to reach the full limit hasn't been really calculated. By my estimations, the number for destroying the full amount of tanks (250) was around 55-60 spies, assuming the enemy has zero. I'm sure there are others who have more direct combat experience, if anyone else would like to weigh in. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

Then perhaps the wiki should be more clear. We don't need a direct formula, but "up to" is very ambiguous language to use.

We are the c h a̼̻Í̖͇ r m i̇͡ n g f r i e n d s and we are t͙̙̹͎̻͓̭͢͜͢h̢̘͕̪̹͓̟͉̰̀̕Ì̯͎̫͈̬͓eÌ¡ÍžÌ™Ì¬Í‰Ì²ÌœÍ Í҉̥̖̮̠͇͔̙͓͠c̀͜͢Í̟͖̳̠̕r̲͚͖̩͜͞͞ự̡̲̳̖̀̕͠ÌÍ̞̠̪͙Í̤̠e̢̡̜̗̬̩̭͇̟͉̱̜l̛͟Í͎͔̲̫͇̜̙͚eÍÍ̟̱̭͎͎̖̗͚͚̦̼̕sÍœÍ̵̡͕̙̬̹͈̺̯̣̱̱̗̩̼͟Ì̯̺͈t̀͠͞͞Ì̜̫̩̟̙͔ ̡̛҉̙̘̼͚̙̀͟ÍÍ͓̱̲͓̻̗oÍ̸Í̸͔̤̼̩̳͎͔͈͢f̶̴̢̬̺͔̮̱̫͓̘͟ ̢͉̞̪̦̣̼͓͞Í̫̻̹͖͉̮͇͙ͅf͘̕ÍÍ¢Í͕̻̱Ì̞̫͖̹̫͔̳oÍ̴̘̣̟̪̞̱͙̣̭̞̭̥̘͕͜ÌeÍ̢̯̪̙̪͜͜͞s̸͟Í͙̲̣̜̲̞̜͇̲̤̮̗͔͇͈̺̯

Qc9CHg7.png

Admittedly, there isn't a very good spy guide out there for the public. I think I wrote one briefly, but it was specific to my alliance. Perhaps a very generous individual would like to contribute to a guide for spies. 

It's a useful mental exercise. Through the years, many thinkers have been fascinated by it. But I don't enjoy playing. It was a game that was born during a brutal age when life counted for little. Everyone believed that some people were worth more than others. Kings. Pawns. I don't think that anyone is worth more than anyone else. Chess is just a game. Real people are not pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them and not others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is, if anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess, deserves to lose.

• Administrators

Then perhaps the wiki should be more clear. We don't need a direct formula, but "up to" is very ambiguous language to use.

"up to" implies a maximum cap of 3,000, which is exactly how it works. It doesn't say "you will, definitely" kill 3,000 soldiers. It says you can kill up to that many.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

It's just that "up to" is a vague term. It implies it will be somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000. Perhaps if it said something like, each spy will kill between 35-50 soldiers, with a maximum cap of 3,000. Or even simpler, "A spy mission sabotaging soldiers is capped at 3,000, depending on the quantity of spies." As it stands, the wiki offers no suggestion that the quantity of spies actually matters regarding the effect of the mission, only the success of it. You might think it's intuitive, but espionage missions aren't (at least in real life) numbers games the way tanks and soldiers are. It is completely reasonable that one spy could poison the food supply of an entire detachment of soldiers, killing or at least rendering ineffective several hundred or maybe even a thousand soldiers. I'm only speaking for myself but I didn't realise it was just a straight numbers game.

Qc9CHg7.png

It's just that "up to" is a vague term. It implies it will be somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000. Perhaps if it said something like, each spy will kill between 35-50 soldiers, with a maximum cap of 3,000. Or even simpler, "A spy mission sabotaging soldiers is capped at 3,000, depending on the quantity of spies." As it stands, the wiki offers no suggestion that the quantity of spies actually matters regarding the effect of the mission, only the success of it. You might think it's intuitive, but espionage missions aren't (at least in real life) numbers games the way tanks and soldiers are. It is completely reasonable that one spy could poison the food supply of an entire detachment of soldiers, killing or at least rendering ineffective several hundred or maybe even a thousand soldiers. I'm only speaking for myself but I didn't realise it was just a straight numbers game.

Well, if we are going to talk realistically here, if soldiers start dropping like flies due to poison in the food, soldiers would probably stop eating the food. Plus, the flavor text says bomb detonation in soldier barracks. 

You are entirely right though. Killing 3000 soldiers with spies costs around 5-600k, which is around 300 times more expensive than just recruiting soldiers and go for a ground attack. Likewise, that number is the same (roughly) for tanks and aircraft. That being said, there cost-efficiency ratio to killing conventional military can range from 40 to 3000 times less effective than a conventional military battle. 

The only spy missions that actually net a battle efficiency are ships (if the enemy has less than ~5 spies), missiles (if the enemy has less than ~5 spies), spies (but practically if you have enough spies for 99% Q&D), and nuclear weapons (if the enemy has less than ~40 spies). Spying tanks is roughly 40 times less efficient, but depending on market prices, it can fluctuate back down to around 5-6 times. 

Nobody in their right minds would use spies for anything other than ships, missiles, nuclear weapons and other spies. Spies, generally speaking, are an expensive force that, when utilized right, can save you millions in the long run. The number of spies necessary to destroy a nuclear weapon when an enemy has less than 5 spies is roughly 95. Rounding that up, the costs for destroying a nuclear weapon is $1m, while the costs for building the nuclear weapon is ~$6-7m, depending on market prices. That is a cost efficiency ratio of roughly 6 times. That is entirely excluding the possible damages taken from eating that nuke (which, JHH can vouch for, is well over $10m). 

My recommendation to you is start using spies against enemies with missiles, or (god help you) enemies with nukes. Using spies at a tier below 400NS is more or less pointless, though it can help in breaking blockades should that ever happen. 

I've been using them against ships, and they've been very effective as I do not have a navy yet, but I was in the situation where an alliance mate was at war with another nation in beige, and required assistance in any way possible.

Qc9CHg7.png

Well, there are times where you can't help the cost-efficiency, if it means helping your ally, that's understandable. Hell, the reason why I know these numbers is because I did the exact same thing.