Proposed Spy System Enhancements Discussion

Dwynn

So over the course of the last couple of months, the spy system has come under some heavy critique, and rightfully so in many aspects. There have also been quite a few suggestions to fix the system, and to enhance it making an even more interesting and viable use.

Spy damage is unbalanced. Currently, spy attacks are completely unbalanced. Spy attacks against ships & planes far outweigh the damage against soldiers & tanks. One sucessful spy attack against ships can destroy 5 ships, a full drydock worth. That's $250k damage right there. Compare the damage to that against soldiers, one full barrack of soldiers is only $6k. The balance is tilted heavily in favor of use against ships, missiles, etc.

To combat this unbalance, on the radio show we discussed a possible idea. When targeting things like soldiers and tanks, a sucessful spy op would create a deficiency in their fighting ability. Something like "You successfully attacked the soldier's supply lines. For the next two days, fighting efficiency for soldiers is reduce by X% while they recover from the losses." Or something like, "You successfully sabotaged your target's tanks. For the next X days, your opponents tanks available for attacks will be halved due to repairs."

Also there could be other forms of spy attacks added. Destruction of land due to poisoning/scorched earth to reduce food outputs. Attacks on commerce efficiency, production efficiency, revenue generation, etc. The spy system is literally limitless for the ways it can be creatively implemented. For every facet of the game mechanics where some sort of roll/chance can be encountered, a spy attack could be created to sabotage this.

Another major gripe that has been brought up time and again, is that spy actions should not be readily available. It makes it simply too easy to scrape for data and find out who killed who's units with spies. Another idea that was brought up on the show was hiding all successful spy attack results. The only way the information would be available would be by a successful spy op against a nation targeting spy intel.

This would create another avenue and layer to the spy system. I could target XYZ's nation witha spy intel op, and learn the attacks, targets, and results of his last three spy ops.

Edit: Forgot this point.

Spy range is currently unlimited. There should be some fashion in place that limits it, or discourages top tier nations from spy attacks against lower tier nations. While I'm not in favor of a hard spy range (hell, the current hard war range is broken as hell), I am highly in favor of a monetary increase for spy operations from top tier nations against lower tier nations.

i.e. A gather spy intel against a similar tier level nation could cost $250k (just using as example, not actual costs). The same spy attack from the same nation, but against a nation 3x smaller than him could have an increase of say 3x as much making that same gather intel cost $750k, simply because of the smaller target. In-game wise, it could be said that because of the smaller size of the target the more subterfuge necessary to have the successful operation. Out of game, it's simply a good mechanic to have in place. This way, as an alliance member, I can still help my alliance mates, but I'm much less likely to go willy nilly spying newbs.

Edited by Micheal Malone
  • Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

So over the course of the last couple of months, the spy system has come under some heavy critique, and rightfully so in many aspects. There have also been quite a few suggestions to fix the system, and to enhance it making an even more interesting and viable use.

Spy damage is unbalanced. Currently, spy attacks are completely unbalanced. Spy attacks against ships & planes far outweigh the damage against soldiers & tanks. One sucessful spy attack against ships can destroy 5 ships, a full drydock worth. That's $250k damage right there. Compare the damage to that against soldiers, one full barrack of soldiers is only $6k. The balance is tilted heavily in favor of use against ships, missiles, etc.

To combat this unbalance, on the radio show we discussed a possible idea. When targeting things like soldiers and tanks, a sucessful spy op would create a deficiency in their fighting ability. Something like "You successfully attacked the soldier's supply lines. For the next two days, fighting efficiency for soldiers is reduce by X% while they recover from the losses." Or something like, "You successfully sabotaged your target's tanks. For the next X days, your opponents tanks available for attacks will be halved due to repairs."

Also there could be other forms of spy attacks added. Destruction of land due to poisoning/scorched earth to reduce food outputs. Attacks on commerce efficiency, production efficiency, revenue generation, etc. The spy system is literally limitless for the ways it can be creatively implemented. For every facet of the game mechanics where some sort of roll/chance can be encountered, a spy attack could be created to sabotage this.

Another major gripe that has been brought up time and again, is that spy actions should not be readily available. It makes it simply too easy to scrape for data and find out who killed who's units with spies. Another idea that was brought up on the show was hiding all successful spy attack results. The only way the information would be available would be by a successful spy op against a nation targeting spy intel.

This would create another avenue and layer to the spy system. I could target XYZ's nation witha spy intel op, and learn the attacks, targets, and results of his last three spy ops.

Liking this. But I don't think spy attacks should target effecienty, it just creates too many problems. But I don't have a problem with them taking out...say 3/15 ships for repairs.

"That ain't Cologne, that's the smell of success."

17:00 <•Sheepy> I don't want you to leave the game

19:20 <•Pubstomber>:

Man, I really wish Rose had allied BoC a couple months ago when we had the chance instead of picking Vanguard.

Liking this. But I don't think spy attacks should target effecienty, it just creates too many problems. But I don't have a problem with them taking out...say 3/15 ships for repairs.

What problems occur from taking out efficiency? I mean any spy attack you do creates a problem for the nation spied upon they are not meant to help another nation :P

• Administrators

There is a soft-cap on big nations spying on small nations.

Big nations only have 1 attack per day, it's the opportunity cost. Instead of attacking a nation of similar size (that a smaller nation couldn't successfully target) they are wasting it on a small nation, while they can still be spied on themselves by a large nation.

I'd be open to an increase in cost based on the score discrepancy between the nations, though.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

The spy system as it stands now allows any single person to prevent any other single person who joined after they did from ever having any ability to conduct spy operations.

That seems broken to me.

☾☆ Chairman Emeritus of Mensa HQ ☾☆

"It's not about the actual fish, themselves. Fish are not important in this context. It's about fish-ing, the act of fishing itself." -Jack O'Neill

iMZejv3.gif

I'm all for hiding the spy kill count o/

I'd be open to an increase in cost based on the score discrepancy between the nations, though.

This could work. Perhaps a 10% cost increase for every 50 score lower the target has, after 200 points? Like if you're 800 NS, then spying on a nation with 550 NS will take 110% of the normal cost, and spying on a nation with 200 NS will take 180%. Just a random idea I have

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png