You in 2000BC

Alice Lune

You keep your dog in your pocket? How big is your pocket?

My dog is sitting on me. I can't image this would take my clothes but not my couch or dog. They all in contact with me

But would the etruscans have already developed the mortar that spurred on the Roman Empire's success?

And some rapin' fun, I bet :D

Actually, we are pretty well protected against older diseases.  It is a fact that your ancestors survived at least long enough to procreate so your natural immunities are not particularly weak.

However, survival required teamwork.  Since the OP implied that we would be alone our chance of survival despite all our advanced survival training in boy scouts.

Speaking from experience, trying to survive alone, especially in colder climates during the winter, is a death wish. I once decided I wanted to try actually living in the wild. Then I realized how !@#$ing deadly winter.

You speak and write ancient dead languages that did not actually have writing (unless you live in the Indus valley and nobody alive knows how to read that)?  Yeah, no.  Your opinion that you know more about how to survive than those folks is almost certainly wrong.  My reasoning for this is that they have a lifetime of practice surviving and you do not.

You are not going to 'recruit' anyone friend - they will just kill you.

I suppose this would highly depend on who exactly you ran into. Many native Americans were friendly enough until we decided they were evulz. In fact, it was a native American who was captured and sold into European slavery (who later escaped and found his way back home) who taught the "pilgrims" of the Plymouth Colony how to survive and grow corn. But of course, he also spoke English.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

first thing I'd do is make weapons and bag a mammoth for food, clothes and shelter. 

I'm not sure if they're still alive in 2000AD, but the same thing can be done to african elephants, sure.

How would you make a weapon when you don't have any tools with you, though? I've tried making flint axes, they're hard and takes time to make, very heavy and breaks after only a few uses against an evergreentree.

I'm not sure if they're still alive in 2000AD, but the same thing can be done to african elephants, sure.

How would you make a weapon when you don't have any tools with you, though? I've tried making flint axes, they're hard and takes time to make, very heavy and breaks after only a few uses against an evergreentree.

You, and everything on your person goes man, I have a swiss army knife in my back pocket :P

Also I'd be sure to grab hold of my ax before said grey alien hit the switch. 

Edited by Six of Ten

Well then I am set :P

nHvbDzt.png

Art by Faroreswind159

I am positive that they did not exist in 2000 AD.  According to the internet there was a population of them on alive in 2000 BC though.

-signature removed for rules violation-

You speak and write ancient dead languages that did not actually have writing (unless you live in the Indus valley and nobody alive knows how to read that)? Yeah, no. Your opinion that you know more about how to survive than those folks is almost certainly wrong. My reasoning for this is that they have a lifetime of practice surviving and you do not.

You are not going to 'recruit' anyone friend - they will just kill you.

No, we wouldn't know more about their environment. But, I know enough to survive long term. My knowledge of science and geography would give me the ability to go far beyond survival. And, I strike my lighter and show them videos and they will worship me. Or kill me. No middle ground. But, I think they'd be impressed and follow me.

No, we wouldn't know more about their environment. But, I know enough to survive long term. My knowledge of science and geography would give me the ability to go far beyond survival. And, I strike my lighter and show them videos and they will worship me. Or kill me. No middle ground. But, I think they'd be impressed and follow me.

That is highly improbable.  It would be far safer to kill the funny outsider (witch) who has little to contribute.  It might be fun to think that you know these things and they would give you an advantage but in reality they would not.

That is highly improbable.  It would be far safer to kill the funny outsider (witch) who has little to contribute.  It might be fun to think that you know these things and they would give you an advantage but in reality they would not.

that's before Christianity man, if you were in a part of the world that is tribal religion and shaamanism, you have better medicine which means you run the place. 

that's before Christianity man, if you were in a part of the world that is tribal religion and shaamanism, you have better medicine which means you run the place. 

Not really, no.  Don't get wrapped up in the word witch.  Fear of the new/unknown/scary predates monotheism.  In fact it is strongly hardwired into our psyche.

Not really, no.  Don't get wrapped up in the word witch.  Fear of the new/unknown/scary predates monotheism.  In fact it is strongly hardwired into our psyche.

except that doesn't apply even today, I mean a armed robber is pretty scary and you don't see a store full of people ganging up on em. the first response is retreat, the second is compliance, when those don't work, you could possibly attack, if the assailant is better armed you lose. if you have a gun on you, you could shoot a couple of em, they see you with a thing shooting fire and their friends unexplainably falling they're gonna back off real quick.. not to mention the diseases we carry may be deadly to them (Europeans in the new world kinda thing) you could even use your own body to wage a biological war on them. 

Edited by Six of Ten

except that doesn't apply even today, I mean a armed robber is pretty scary and you don't see a store full of people ganging up on em. the first response is retreat, the second is compliance, when those don't work, you could possibly attack, if the assailant is better armed you lose. 

Fight or flight is for an immediate threat.  The leader of whatever tribe you encounter, assuming you do, would not be subject to that.  He would identify that you are unusual at the very least and a potential threat.  Being risk adverse was a critical trait for leaders.  Far safer to eliminate the threat.

The discussion is interesting but the bottom line is that we grew up to survive in this world and frankly lack the skills and connections to survive in that world.

Fight or flight is for an immediate threat.  The leader of whatever tribe you encounter, assuming you do, would not be subject to that.  He would identify that you are unusual at the very least and a potential threat.  Being risk adverse was a critical trait for leaders.  Far safer to eliminate the threat.

The discussion is interesting but the bottom line is that we grew up to survive in this world and frankly lack the skills and connections to survive in that world.

well using our own history as a guide, columbus was in the same situation when he landed in the carribean, the outcome however is he scared the hell out of them, that and the cloud of germs around his body and those of his crew made the natives immediately sick. one person (We have so many pathogens inside us) could potentially wipe the population from most of a region rather quickly, given that most things have an incubation time of 7-10 days, you could simply infect them without making direct contact, and let time do the work for you. while avoiding direct contact yourself. when confronting a disease it has no experience with an immune system can make it worse. you show up with your modern and highly evolved pathogens, the natives are gonna start getting sick real quick. since the disease contains your genetic material and your immune system is evolved to deal with it, you'd survive while thousands and millions of them die. killing you is the worst thing they could do. 

my body is ready

1d5b9a6490a6057ea7fa8c5b3674ecab.500x212

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

That is highly improbable. It would be far safer to kill the funny outsider (witch) who has little to contribute. It might be fun to think that you know these things and they would give you an advantage but in reality they would not.

You don't know what I know. I know plenty. I can trap animals. I've done it. I can build shelter. I can preserve foods. I can make a bow. I've done it. I'd be just fine. Especially since we're going into spring now.

People were few and far apart in those days. Chances are I could choose my moment to meet them. By that time I would have made superior weapons. A shield would be enough to confound them and their arrows.

More importantly, I'd be doing interesting things like building stone arches and drinking beer. They would want to know my ways.

using the body as a biological weapon isn't a new concept, it was done in europe and the Americas to weaken and wipe out local populations. it worked than, it could work in 2,000 BCE using your body's pathogens. 

Columbus arrived with a band of armed men, things to trade, and a method to return home.  I am not sure that you have these things in your pockets.

Your disease line of thinking is a bit off.  From this tribe's persepctive, if they have allowed you to live: 'Look a strange outsider arrived a few days ago and now we are getting sick.  Lets kill this dude.'

You don't know what I know. I know plenty. I can trap animals. I've done it. I can build shelter. I can preserve foods. I can make a bow. I've done it. I'd be just fine. Especially since we're going into spring now.

People were few and far apart in those days. Chances are I could choose my moment to meet them. By that time I would have made superior weapons. A shield would be enough to confound them and their arrows.

More importantly, I'd be doing interesting things like building stone arches and drinking beer. They would want to know my ways.

I am sure your boy scout skills are most advanced.  Your advanced metallurgy skills using stone and wood skills to build your shield of awesomeness would be a sight to behold.  Please instruct us.

Columbus arrived with a band of armed men, things to trade, and a method to return home.  I am not sure that you have these things in your pockets.

Your disease line of thinking is a bit off.  From this tribe's persepctive, if they have allowed you to live: 'Look a strange outsider arrived a few days ago and now we are getting sick.  Lets kill this dude.'

You're also forgetting that I'm in North america. archery was invented in Europe and didn't arrive here until much later. by the time they found me I'd of made a weapon they don't posses. and plenty of arrows. Bow and Arrows vs spears. I'd have the range advantage. I could off a tribe before they got close enough to do shit with a spear. ofcourse by than I'd of compounded some gun powder. mines are also nice attention getters :)

You should all join MENSA.  It is clear you have the baseline skills and IQ.

6of10, without using the internet, can you tell me the correct proportions for mixing the three ingredients (I am sure you know them) for gunpowder - further where and or how you would acquire the necessary ingredients?  Also, how would you go about defeating 100(whatever) warriors with your bow/arrows?

I am sure your boy scout skills are most advanced. Your advanced metallurgy skills using stone and wood skills to build your shield of awesomeness would be a sight to behold. Please instruct us.

Shields can be constructed with wood and skins. Stone tipped arrows aren't too hard to stop. I'd also make a composite bow.

Yes.  Your hide shield and advanced stone tipped arrows will surely overcome vast numerical advantages.  No doubt.

Can you, again without the internet, provide instructions for composite bow making given available tools.?