Suggestion: More Politics!

Spyro

Not sure if anyone else has brought this up. Or if anyone else feels the same.

But as I see many suggestions go towards the catagory of War, and Military, we seem to have forgot the Politics part.

Someone mentioned the game NationStates, and so I signed up to test it out, the game mainly deals with you setting up policies and laws for your Nation. And whatever laws you choose to go with when an issue pops up, it effects your countries title, from a harsh dictatorship, to complete anarchy, or a humble democracy and so on, it effects economy status, civil rights status, and political freedoms status as well.

I would like to see something small added to the game that would give us a better feel of control of our Nation like so. Maybe have a small area on our Nation's Profile which shows what laws were recently passed, how our population or economy was effected by it, something other than relating to War.

If anything it can just be for roleplaying purposes.

What do you guys think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would also like to note, to help Sheepy with adding what types of issues can be added to this improvement, we the community could make a thread and add issues with choices to solve that issue, for Sheepy to look at and decide if it's good enough to use for the improvement.

Example:

Issue: Same-Sex Marriage

Description: Several Gay Rights groups are demanding that the government recognize their union, they have taken to the streets in front of many government buildings demanding a resolution to this issue.

Choices:

(Choice 1.) "We demand Equal Rights." says Joan Murphy, a leader of the Gay Rights movement. "We are human beings just like the rest, we deserve the same rights and dignity as everyone else. We ask that you legalize our marriages and bring us one step closer to full equality!"

(Choice 2.) "Outrageous, legalizing Gay Marriage will only bring more issues." says Conservative Buddy Cullen, leader of the far right group Christians for Traditional Marriage. "If you legalize Gay Marriage, what's stopping someone from wanting to marry a family member, or a dog, or a marriage made up of more than two people, let alone what about our religious rights?"

(Choice 3.) "This issue can be solved all together pretty easily, Sir." comments one of your advisers. "Take government our of marriage all together, Civil Unions for everyone is the route we should go with."

If Sheepy thinks the issue and choices are good enough, he can add them to the improvement. There should only be up to 2 or 3 choices for an issue.

Edited by Spyro F Dragon
  • Upvote 5

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Being a small-alliance person and not really much for inter-alliance politics, I personally would like to be able to spend time messing with my nation's people some instead of them just being a glorified vehicle for building tanks and planes, when I'm not throwing my soldiers at random people. It doesn't have to be Nation Simulator Online, but it'd be nice to have some domestic issues to worry about that have an impact on how I play.

I'm glad you brought this up again since I think it deserves more merit than many people seem to give it. There's plenty of grandstanding to go around between major alliances, but the game's not a whole lot of fun outside of that, IMO.

Edited by Erin

I personally would like to be able to spend time messing with my nation's people some instead of them just being a glorified vehicle for building tanks and planes, when I'm not throwing my soldiers at random people.

So you're not a blood-thirty tyrant?

I don't even know who you are anymore. 

• Upvote 1

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

I would also like to add, to help Sheepy with adding what types of issues can be added to this improvement, we the community could make a thread and add Issues with choices to solve that issue, for Sheepy to look at and decide if it's good enoug to use for the improvement.

Example:

Issue: Same-Sex Marriage

Description: Several Gay Rights groups are demanding that the government recognise their union, they have taken to the streets in front of many government buildings demanding a resolution to this issue.

Choices:

(Choice 1.) "We demand Equal Rights." says Joan Murphy, a leader of the Gay Rights movement. "We are human beings just like the rest, we deserve the same rights and diginity as everyone else. We ask that you legalize our marriages and bring us one sttep closer to full equality!"

(Choice 2.) "Outragous, legalizing Gay Marriage will only bring more issues." says Conservative Buddy Cullen, leader of the far right group Christians for Traditional Marriage. "If you legalize Gay Marriage, what's stopping someone from wanting to marry a family member, or a dog, or a marriage made up of more than two people, let alone what about our religious rights?"

(Choice 3.) "This issue can be solved all together pretty easily, Sir." comments one of your advisors. "Take government our of marriage all together, Civil Unions for everyone is the route we should go with."

If Sheepy thinks the issue and choices are good enough, he can add them to the improvement. There should only be up to 2 or 3 choices for an issue.

Edited by Spyro F Dragon

So you're not a blood-thirty tyrant?

I don't even know who you are anymore. 

Who says I'm not? The current gameplay just doesn't give me many chances to exercise it on a more explicit level. :)

Also, yay for confirmed feature! Thanks, Sheepy.

So basically the game is going to be like Nationstates with actual war, and not some gay region raiding? Cool.

• Upvote 1

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also I

I certainly like this idea, and it's sort of something on my to-do list. I've planned on adding nation factbooks and newspaper for internal roleplay, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Sheepy it should be noted that NationStates allow users to add their own issues as well through kind of an suggestion box. There are MANY issues in NationStates.

Also they have something in NS called NS++: https://nationstatesplusplus.net/install

You should have a look at it if you are going down the roleplay, factbooks area. You install this app, and the site is updated to be more modern and have more features.

Of course NS has nation factbooks and dispatches, but the NS++ has regional, national, global newspapers and everything is regularly updated. The chats, thumbs up and down, messages, data collection, NSeconomy is integrated now. They also have (both in NS++ and regular) graphs and charts showing the progress of your nation over times through these issues and actions.

Also: To whoever said region raiding was gay obviously hadn't been a very big part of it. I agree that it was not a great supplement for war however has been used to establish dominance over non-founder regions which in it's own adds conflict to a game where it was never intended. It is an original concept which is unique on it's own which is great. Invading regions requires many members, coordinated attacks or defense, and instant communication. It has been fun.

Anyways Just some suggestions!

Events similar to what happens throughout the paradox grand strategy games could be interesting.

Maybe once every few days you have to decide whether you'll subsidise the farmers during a foot and mouth outbreak, which could reduce tax income but prevent a food production debuff being applied. Or disaster relief if a volcano erupts, so you may have to pay an outright cost scaled to your nation size, or suffer a population size debuff. A third option on disaster events could even be to open up donations for other players to provide relief?

I'm thinking the debuff durations would be until the next event, so that people aren't bombarded. The numbers should probably be quite small, but its an interesting way to put forward scenarios for players to RP to, and its a few more gruelling political decisions to make.

• Upvote 2

Events similar to what happens throughout the paradox grand strategy games could be interesting.

Maybe once every few days you have to decide whether you'll subsidise the farmers during a foot and mouth outbreak, which could reduce tax income but prevent a food production debuff being applied. Or disaster relief if a volcano erupts, so you may have to pay an outright cost scaled to your nation size, or suffer a population size debuff. A third option on disaster events could even be to open up donations for other players to provide relief?

I'm thinking the debuff durations would be until the next event, so that people aren't bombarded. The numbers should probably be quite small, but its an interesting way to put forward scenarios for players to RP to, and its a few more gruelling political decisions to make.

I like that idea also.

If you do decide to go down the issues route I also HIGHLY encourage you to check out this game: http://www.ars-regendi.com/

It is like NS but less about creating your own nation but ruling a nation template as a regent. The games are shorter and you can be voted out of office if unpopular enough; they also have reforms and stuff. But it is more simulation than casual.

Some events could be activated by your government, social and economic policies, eg economic right may like to engage in some union busting, and social left may have to decide whether to legalise substances.

Also events for the types of buildings you have. Like nuclear meltdown :3

If you want more politics, try to claim a color sphere.

"In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto." - Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts

Green Enforcement Agency will rise again!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this idea comes to fruit soon, because this game is getting boring rather quickly now days.

Too many updates on little things, and too many worthless updates like the trophies.

Come on Sheepy, give us something to bring more enjoyment and pleasure. :(

Edited by Spyro F Dragon