New Project: Greenhouse

Shakyr

This is certainly an interesting suggestion, but I wonder how it will benefit anyone besides whales who produce food. The only affect on the greater game, that I could see, would be reducing or limiting food inflation during war time. However, that has never been too severe—at least, that I have seen in my time here. For example, since November 28th the lowest average ppu was 115 and the highest was 148 (according to in-game average chart), even during two global wars where the radiation caused 100% reduction in food production. Of course, correct me if I am wrong here and feel free to provide counter examples lol.

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

11 hours ago, Sweeeeet Ronny D said:

That's no fun, drop the nukes, kill the farms.

War is PAIN!!!

I can always post my suggestion for radiation to affect the production of all Raw Resources (can't produce stuff if your workers are dying). Not a topic for discussion here though.

10 hours ago, Jacob Knox said:

This is certainly an interesting suggestion, but I wonder how it will benefit anyone besides whales who produce food. The only affect on the greater game, that I could see, would be reducing or limiting food inflation during war time. However, that has never been too severe—at least, that I have seen in my time here. For example, since November 28th the lowest average ppu was 115 and the highest was 148 (according to in-game average chart), even during two global wars where the radiation caused 100% reduction in food production. Of course, correct me if I am wrong here and feel free to provide counter examples lol.

It'll benefit any nation who produces Food, but restricted to only a small subset of your farms, it's not going to seriously impact a larger nation's deficit. I mean my nation in particular, I'd only have 1800 (3 Farms/City) to 3000 (5 Farms/City) Food per day, protected. I have a deficit of 20k (not even running full military).

My aim was to provide the general player base with the ability to offset their loses due to two or more unrelated alliances deciding to go to war. The addition of losing the Summer/Winter variations on those farms was added because it made logical sense.

The current situation only benefits the whales who produce Food, as they're the main ones with massive stockpiles that can be sold off. I'm actually shooting myself in the foot somewhat, by posting this.

I'm happy to drop the requirements to one degree or another, open it up to players more easily. The lowest I'd go would be Mass Irrigation and 2-3x the cost. I also don't know whether 3-5 Farms is too few or not.

• Upvote 1

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

1 hour ago, Shakyr said:

I'm happy to drop the requirements to one degree or another, open it up to players more easily.

Yeah, I think one of my main complaints with the requirements, which is part of the reason I said it only benefits whales, was the requirement of Green Technologies. Because that requires Space Program and Urban Planning, both of which are fairly expensive in their own right. But then add on that Space Program requires Missile Launch Pad and Urban Planning requires C11, and this project suddenly has a lot of road blocks to getting it. The only thing about opening it up for non-whales to get easier would be moderately encouraging new players to get farms, and as someone who has seen all too many new players with awful builds and farms—and having been one for some time at the beginning of my time playing here—I don't necessarily want that haha.

1 hour ago, Shakyr said:

I mean my nation in particular, I'd only have 1800 (3 Farms/City) to 3000 (5 Farms/City) Food per day, protected. I have a deficit of 20k (not even running full military).

Hm... I hadn't thought about that. I, personally, used only roughly 5K food per day at max military. But I am also half your size haha. I suppose it can be all to easy in this game to go "whales bad, why help whales?" But sometimes we have to consider things from different perspectives, and I like to think that I at least try to do that.

Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing this get more attention and having more people discuss the pros and cons of it as we are. And some suggestions for the game, regardless of what they are, is always better than having no suggestions at all.

• Upvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

1 hour ago, Jacob Knox said:

The only thing about opening it up for non-whales to get easier would be moderately encouraging new players to get farms, and as someone who has seen all too many new players with awful builds and farms—and having been one for some time at the beginning of my time playing here—I don't necessarily want that haha.

I've been running Farms for years, outside of a few times in the year when I've been forced to change by wars. Stockpiling and selling off Food, got me through to C40, almost entirely self-funded.

So long as you prioritize your Civil/Commerce improvements, so you're running minimal Disease/Crime and maximum Commerce, the rest of your improvements don't matter.

1 hour ago, Jacob Knox said:

Hm... I hadn't thought about that. I, personally, used only roughly 5K food per day at max military. But I am also half your size haha. I suppose it can be all to easy in this game to go "whales bad, why help whales?" But sometimes we have to consider things from different perspectives, and I like to think that I at least try to do that.

Overall, I wouldn't mind seeing this get more attention and having more people discuss the pros and cons of it as we are. And some suggestions for the game, regardless of what they are, is always better than having no suggestions at all.

Too many are shot down by people who just want to maintain the status quo. I don't think the suggestion forum gets enough traffic either.

• Upvote 1

sig_cybernations.PNG.8d49a01423f488a0f1b846927f5acc7e.PNG

On 1/27/2022 at 11:45 PM, Shakyr said:

Quite simple, allows up to x Farms (I reckon 3-5) per city to be protected from the elements. They always produce Food at a constant rate, regardless of the season or the radiation levels.

Requires: Arable Land Agency, Green Technologies, Mass Irrigation

Cost: Same resources, but about 10x to 15x what is required for Mass Irrigation

This is a really interesting project, though I might suggest a different name instead of 'greenhouse'. Going with 'Seed Vault' I feel fits better as they are specifically designed to allow the repopulation of plant life in the event of a global catastrophe. 300-400 nukes exploding in a few days, like what happens in Orbis more or less every global war, certainly fits that description. 

On 1/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, katashimon13 said:

yes please

rawr

Ditto this as well...

It might even be interesting to see latent radiation not only affect raw and refined production but even city population via increased disease.