Over-Moderation?

Foltest

• Wiki Mod

Obviously there is some frustration here, but understand a delicate balance must be struck between maintaining quality forum discussions and not stifling conversation.

I and the moderators would like to promote as much worthwhile discussion on the forums as possible. However, quite often the topic of a thread changes significantly from the OP, sometimes to the point where there is really no relation whatsoever. In these cases, where discussion about the original topic is over, we lock threads -- with the intention that you move the otherwise unrelated convo to a new thread, related to it's original topic post.

Often times locking a thread isn't so much about stopping the conversation as it is directing it elsewhere, where it is relevant.

Then might I suggest splitting the thread then?

• Upvote 1

23:38 Skable that's why we don't want Rose involved, so we can take the m all for ourselves

23:39 [] but Mensa is the cute girl at the school dance and she's only dancing with us right now to get our friend jealous

23:39 [] If Rose comes in and gives Mensa what she wants, she'll just toss us aside and forget we ever existed

23:39 zombie_lanae yeah I do hope we can keep having them all to ourselves

23:40 zombie_lanae I know it's selfish but I want all their love

6:55 PM <+Isolatar> Praise Dio

Pubstomper|BNC [20:01:55] Rose wouldn't plan a hit on Mensa because it would be &#33;@#&#036;ing stupid

Obviously there is some frustration here, but understand a delicate balance must be struck between maintaining quality forum discussions and not stifling conversation.

I and the moderators would like to promote as much worthwhile discussion on the forums as possible. However, quite often the topic of a thread changes significantly from the OP, sometimes to the point where there is really no relation whatsoever. In these cases, where discussion about the original topic is over, we lock threads -- with the intention that you move the otherwise unrelated convo to a new thread, related to it's original topic post.

Often times locking a thread isn't so much about stopping the conversation as it is directing it elsewhere, where it is relevant.

Are you not able to split threads? Or remove specific off topic posts? If a thread has entirely moved off topic, is there value in "moving" the ongoing off-topic discussion even if it will not have the effect of allowing discussion on the original topic to proceed? Honestly, these are not difficult problems to confront. Moderating a forum is not rocket surgery, and literally all of the problems you encounter have been resolved decisively by ten thousand prior forums. 

• Upvote 3

Are you not able to split threads? Or remove specific off topic posts? If a thread has entirely moved off topic, is there value in "moving" the ongoing off-topic discussion even if it will not have the effect of allowing discussion on the original topic to proceed? Honestly, these are not difficult problems to confront. Moderating a forum is not rocket surgery, and literally all of the problems you encounter have been resolved decisively by ten thousand prior forums. 

I know from my permissions here, I have no option to split a thread.

I wanted to apologize about my original post - It wasn't meant to carry the tone that was conveyed. Put simply, I follow the rules given to me by Alex, I work my best to find the most lenient route to distrubte any type of discipline to members and more times you will see me personally contacting members of the community to give them a headsup on what they should do to avoid a violation.

I understand that I'm not in a position to be loved 100% of the time, I don't get upset when that happens. What upsets me tho is you guys will complain, but most don't offer up a way that we could change to benefit the community any further. Mods/Admin get dragged through the mud and then we are here the next day.

I don't believe we should have less moderation, but I do believe in proper moderation. Some rules are contridictary, I agree, some threads have weird rules that maybe were set up at the games inception, I agree. 

I'm just looking to you guys - for a serious inquiry on what we can do better. Shoot me a message or reply below - I know I'll get shit on for posting this. I just want you guys to know that although we are seen as the "internet" cops and we get the stigma that follows - I truly care about your online experience here. 

Anything you suggest I will bring to the rest of moderation and Alex to see what we can do.

• Upvote 3

It was a pleasure serving this community - Stay Frosty!

Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC

I know from my permissions here, I have no option to split a thread.

I wanted to apologize about my original post - It wasn't meant to carry the tone that was conveyed. Put simply, I follow the rules given to me by Alex, I work my best to find the most lenient route to distrubte any type of discipline to members and more times you will see me personally contacting members of the community to give them a headsup on what they should do to avoid a violation.

I understand that I'm not in a position to be loved 100% of the time, I don't get upset when that happens. What upsets me tho is you guys will complain, but most don't offer up a way that we could change to benefit the community any further. Mods/Admin get dragged through the mud and then we are here the next day.

I don't believe we should have less moderation, but I do believe in proper moderation. Some rules are contridictary, I agree, some threads have weird rules that maybe were set up at the games inception, I agree. 

I'm just looking to you guys - for a serious inquiry on what we can do better. Shoot me a message or reply below - I know I'll get shit on for posting this. I just want you guys to know that although we are seen as the "internet" cops and we get the stigma that follows - I truly care about your online experience here. 

Anything you suggest I will bring to the rest of moderation and Alex to see what we can do.

First off, thanks for taking the time to actually respond instead of simply getting angry. I know it's tough being a mod.

As for suggestions, mainly all I have to offer is repeating what my OP said or repeating what Odin said. A simple mod post saying "this is drifting off topic, correct course" will suffice in either stopping the discussion or correctly back to the topic.

But basically the point I wanted to bring up was that the discussion doesn't need to strictly pertain to the OP in the IC forums. As long as the conversation is about the political meta-game then the purpose of the public forums is being fulfilled. Quashing pertinent game discussion is overmoderation, in my opinion. Even if the discussion has drifted away from the original post's topic.

• Upvote 2

A few things:

1) If you can't split threads, you should set up some demo copies of the forum using different forum software and experiment with mod tools. 

2) If you find you are running into moderation issues that you struggle to resolve (i.e. when to warn, when to lock, etc.) then perhaps you should consider adding experienced forum mods / admins from elsewhere to a "mod advisory group" to weigh difficult decisions. 

3) Discuss, discuss, discuss. If a problem isn't an emergency (and few are), then discuss it with mods in a mod forum before making a decision. 

4) Explain - even if you don't post it, go through the work of developing a fairly detailed explanation for a decision that might be controversial. Having that will make sure you have thought it through and are ready to defend it if challenged. 

5) Be open to being challenged - it has been not unusual on this forum to see extremely defensive and emotional reactions to being challenged on a moderation decision. This is, to be blunt, bad and wrong. If you resort to issuing demands that your authority be acknowledged, you have screwed up already. Enforcing the fiction that you are beyond reproach and punishing criticism may give the illusion of calm waters, but in reality it turns all the fish into sharks just waiting for the smallest sign of blood to frenzy. 

Lastly, like I said - there are zillions of forums out there, many of them decades old. All of these problems have been solved before. You should have a lead mod, and look for someone who has a lot of experience moderating forums for both that lead mod and your other mods. 

Edited by Avruch
  • Upvote 1

Temporarily close threads

Bad idea. Once the thread will be reopened, the topic will either be irrelevant (during wars, times of tension, etc.) or was a shitpost to begin with (peace time).

• Upvote 2

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

Bad idea. Once the thread will be reopened, the topic will either be irrelevant (during wars, times of tension, etc.) or was a shitpost to begin with (peace time).

Edit: Not if it's done quick enough. Edited by Hooves

Update. 

Just wanted you guys to know that I listened to what serious changes you recommended and I put a post together and shared it with Admin/Moderation team to work out a better way to handle the community. I'm hoping that we can make some changes for the better, for you guys, so that we can co-exist more peacefully.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

It was a pleasure serving this community - Stay Frosty!

Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC