The Line between spam and shitposting

greatkitteh

Alright, fair question. This is not an apppeal.

I was warned for posting "FOR STEVE" everywhere in AA, because it was apperently spam or something. I was also told that I can never post "for steve' again.

How did I spam though?

With exception to the Forum Games & Spam forum, topics or posts within topics which do not pertain to the forum or topic it is in.

One word posts and images are allowed as long as they convey a message, relate to the topic, and do not violate any other forum rule.

Posts which include solely a quote from another player in the thread, with no additional content. The "like" button should be used instead.

"For steve" conveys a message. It is a warcry, and is also a reference to NPO making Steveism official. It is no different from "Za Warudo" or "X for the X person"; "For Steve" is saying that 'we are in war. Here is one for our creator!'

"For Steve" relates to the topic. A delcaration of war DOES relate to a warcry. 'We're declaring war. This is for what you did before! STEVE WILLS IT'

Lastly, "For Steve" does not violate any rule.

Now, if I broke a new rule for shitposting, yes. However, there was nothing that said I cant post the same thing over and over in different variations and topics. Also, there was never a rule that said I needed Roquentin long posts.

What constitues soamming and shitposting? Why is "FOR STEVE" going to be banned for eternity?

• Upvote 2

:sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:               :sheepy:              :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy:

Greatkitteh was here.-

Wait you were warned for that? :lol:

So it's okay to post "no" for pages and pages, but this isn't okay.

I'm alright with moderation, but these forums have gotten so out of control with shitposting that many players refuse to use them.  If you are going to warn for thinks like, "For Steve", which is fine, you have to also warn for most one word shitpost replies like "no" along with the metric tons of shitposts that spam up these forums now.

Edited by Placentica
  • Upvote 3

I'm alright with moderation, but these forums have gotten so out of control with shitposting that many players refuse to use them.  If you are going to warn for thinks like, "For Steve", which is fine, you have to also warn for most one word shitpost replies like "no" along with the metric tons of shitposts that spam up these forums now.

no

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

For once, I support the mod's decision here.

Shit, we even removed his access to the NPO embassy on our forums because !@#$ing BK OF ALL PEOPLE was tired of his spam.

• Upvote 5

[22:37:51] <&Yosodog> Problem is, everyone is too busy deciding which top gun character they are that no decision has been made

BK in a nutshell

I'm alright with moderation, but these forums have gotten so out of control with shitposting that many players refuse to use them. If you are going to warn for thinks like, "For Steve", which is fine, you have to also warn for most one word shitpost replies like "no" along with the metric tons of shitposts that spam up these forums now.

The Line is blurry, but let's put it this way:

1. Off the top of your head, name someone who posts "no" unnecessarily.

2. And then name someone who posts "For Steve" unnecessarily.

Chances are that few can answer the first one, but everyone knows the answer to 2. So the "for Steve" responses have clearly crossed The Line.

Something like "Ayy lmao" does play along the line, but it's not overdone on the forums, just elsewhere.

I can't believe I am even replying to this post, but here goes.

You are right - there is a difference between shit posting and spam, but what you don't realize is that your shit posting has turned to spam. You have commented multiple times on almost every single thread that has been created in reference to the current global conflict with 'steve' or 'for steve' or the like. You crossed the line from shit posting to spam and the community called you out for it.

You deliberately go to every single thread you see and reply with your steve comments. You are not contributing to the post and more than half the time "steve" has no relation to the current flow of the topic. Hence the spam warning.

People who comment "no" or other one word answers generally fly under the radar because they are primarily commenting on one thread. You have gone from shit post, to spam, to general community annoyance.

All you have to do is stop. Contribute to the post in a more constructive way and you should be fine.

Good luck.

Well, I dont care if I was warned or not, because honestly, alot of us in NPO was expecting it too. I'm more concerned as too why "FOR STEVE" is banned for life. Your reasoning in that warn was that alot of people reported it, but considering the politics of that ideology that really makes sense. There are about fiveish Stevists including me on this forum - at which only 2 (Roquentin and I) check in regularly. I guess you can include Placentica, but she didn't endorse Stevism yet. No other Oaraconevant alliance is active on the OWF expect Alpha, but TS has chracter assisnated them so much we dont take anything Placentica says seriously anymore. Add to the fact TEST (the other one on "our side" that is active) has issues with Steve and of course Stevism will be opressed by the majority. It's political nature, as well as it's vocal followers, is bound to attract critism - and maybe they are right. But just because one Stevist said "FOR STEVE" multiple times on war declarations and it got flagged by multiple ayyslamist/blood??ists/Dioists/Dragonists doesn't justify the mods singling out Stevism and banning it FOREVER.

Also, "no" is in multiple threads that Steve posts in - which is close to both OOC attacks AND spam. You can just say Steve should stop posting, but that's basically a member induced ban. You could also be truthful and say "We dont want to hear all the whining by TS for banning it, and they spend all the money on our credits, so it's okay for them!", and it'll be more sastifying to hear.

Edited by greatkitteh

:sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:  :sheepy:               :sheepy:              :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy: :sheepy:

Greatkitteh was here.-

I don't think they are saying "for steve" is banned for life - I think they are saying that....like, stop using it so much to the point where you're annoying as !@#$ and its considered spam?

I mean, I get it, thats just who you are - I've seen your posts, like every one of them and then all of your other posts where you basically beg for people to get threads to 20 pages with worthless shit posts and spam. Its not like you're targeted out of the crowd for some unknown reason.

Also, basically when I read you're post it looks like a complaint generator. Why are you trying so hard? You spammed. lol

Correct me if I'm wrong oh all mighty powerful moderators. 

Edited by Mad Max

k

Your posts hold no actual logical bounds, but feel free to keep replying - I like to have an active dialogue with the community.

Let me break this down so that even a kitty can understand.

1. There are many words and sayings that forum members uses that hold true to be IC. For a while "Steve" and "For Steve" and anything associated with that particular, dare I say movement, was considered appropriate and would still be considered (and is still) to be used today. So, did nobody say - anywhere - that the use of the steve phrases was banned for life. The only thing I told you that was even close to "ban" was that it takes 7 warn points to get banned from this community.
  2. You are right people do say "no" and other one word answers in threads that are active. Some people even posts images, memes, movies, and links. The major and highlighted difference is they are repetitious with the postings so that it becomes a nuisance or annoyance to the general active community that uses these forums. It is quite clear by reading through the threads, which I do, people get annoyed with your constant steve postings and even more so - to the point of reporting your posts to moderators. So, if you're still with me, your posts begin to take the form of spam. Why? Because your posts do not contribute to the topic or general flow of the topic AND, my friend, they are made in repetitious nature which would classify them as being spam....regardless of what you would consider spam yourself.
  3. You can trust in the fact that I knew your posts were becoming a problem and I was just waiting for the community to report it. I generally do not bother with going on a witch hunt every day on the forums. I find the more vulgar posts/topics and make sure they are routed out before actual harm is done in the community. Dealing with a shit poster who wants to argue what spam is and what spam isn't and then try to figure out who reported what based off the political spectrum of the game isn't a path I usually take, but I'm taking it, son, because you are wrong here....but feel free to justify actions by staying the course of what you believe to be true.
  4.  Although I am an anonymous mod here and I do have a personal account and I am in an alliance in this game with that account - I never play towards a certain side when it comes down to handing out warns or contacting players notifying them to change certain posts they made. Not to mention, the mod team is comprised of individuals from all political spectrums of this game - we work together to form a basis of discipline for each report...so you can just check that one right off your list. 
  5. What it comes down to is this: you crossed the line from commenting just like everyone else, to forming your own spam campaign on every DoW/war related thread that has occurred since the beginning of the global conflict - in fact, I have even seen you post that you're only allowed to comment during war times aaaaand basically that your main goal is to spam it up with your steve comments.
  6. In conclusion...and I do hope you're still following...you got warned for spamming. There isn't going to be a removal of the warn until it expires in 60 days. All you have to do is be more constructive with your posts for them to not count as spam and you'll be a golden kitty.

How hard can it be?

It was a pleasure serving this community - Stay Frosty!

Forum Rules ☆ Game Rules ☆ Terms of Service ☆ PW Wiki ☆ IRC

Your posts hold no actual logical bounds, but feel free to keep replying - I like to have an active dialogue with the community.

Let me break this down so that even a kitty can understand.

• There are many words and sayings that forum members uses that hold true to be IC. For a while "Steve" and "For Steve" and anything associated with that particular, dare I say movement, was considered appropriate and would still be considered (and is still) to be used today. So, did nobody say - anywhere - that the use of the steve phrases was banned for life. The only thing I told you that was even close to "ban" was that it takes 7 warn points to get banned from this community.
  • You are right people do say "no" and other one word answers in threads that are active. Some people even posts images, memes, movies, and links. The major and highlighted difference is they are repetitious with the postings so that it becomes a nuisance or annoyance to the general active community that uses these forums. It is quite clear by reading through the threads, which I do, people get annoyed with your constant steve postings and even more so - to the point of reporting your posts to moderators. So, if you're still with me, your posts begin to take the form of spam. Why? Because your posts do not contribute to the topic or general flow of the topic AND, my friend, they are made in repetitious nature which would classify them as being spam....regardless of what you would consider spam yourself.
  • You can trust in the fact that I knew your posts were becoming a problem and I was just waiting for the community to report it. I generally do not bother with going on a witch hunt every day on the forums. I find the more vulgar posts/topics and make sure they are routed out before actual harm is done in the community. Dealing with a shit poster who wants to argue what spam is and what spam isn't and then try to figure out who reported what based off the political spectrum of the game isn't a path I usually take, but I'm taking it, son, because you are wrong here....but feel free to justify actions by staying the course of what you believe to be true.
  • Although I am an anonymous mod here and I do have a personal account and I am in an alliance in this game with that account - I never play towards a certain side when it comes down to handing out warns or contacting players notifying them to change certain posts they made. Not to mention, the mod team is comprised of individuals from all political spectrums of this game - we work together to form a basis of discipline for each report...so you can just check that one right off your list.
  • What it comes down to is this: you crossed the line from commenting just like everyone else, to forming your own spam campaign on every DoW/war related thread that has occurred since the beginning of the global conflict - in fact, I have even seen you post that you're only allowed to comment during war times aaaaand basically that your main goal is to spam it up with your steve comments.
  • In conclusion...and I do hope you're still following...you got warned for spamming. There isn't going to be a removal of the warn until it expires in 60 days. All you have to do is be more constructive with your posts for them to not count as spam and you'll be a golden kitty.

How hard can it be?

1. You told me in the warn that any "For Steve" I post will result in an instany warning, which I thing is over the top and inappropiate. You could just say any spam will result in a war, yes, but there is no denying banning all "For steve" is unreasonable.

2.This I conceed that I posted more than I should have, although from what I saw "no" was just as annoying to Alpha members.

3. This, I also conceed that I was going to run in trouble sometime.

4.You misunderstand my post, and I trust that you are not biased. What I am skeptical of is when you justified banning "For Steve" because alot of people reported me. As a minority and political group, it was clear Steveists were going to be persecuted on the OWF. What I'm not happy about is that you used the bandwagon facally to justify an over-the-top warning. "Za Warudo", "Ay Lmao", or "Deus Vult" are all allowed and have the exact same maximum damage to the forums, yet they arent banned. Partially because they arent over the top (expect maybe Ay Lmao, but Sheepy is favorable and imo a bit biased towards BK. Plus, it was a good meme.) with posting, yes, but I wouldn't have been pubished this harshly (not the warn point, but being banned from ever posting about for Steve again. Why? Because "alot" of players approve of the other side's religons, while Steveism is naturally going to be hated. Because "alot" of players reporting something doesn't, and shouldn't, be any different from what one person does. Yes, I understand Sheepy isn't Steve. (Plz no ban for Steveism reference) a robot, and frankly I would have given my self a warn as well, but me getting a harsh punishment of never being able to say "For Steve" again is not fair because it was due to a bandwagon.

5.Yes, I admit to taking over the AA more than once/ posting excessively. No, it isnt a grand Roquentin plot to ruin war DOWs by letting me post, or a NPO plot to make the OWF shit as a revenge for "winning." (Which I guess). It isn't even my plot to shitpost for the sake of being an ass.

6. Yes, I will limit the spam from now on.

7. I still think banning "For Steve" together is over the top. Steveists by nature are mature enough, and even I'm not some 9 yr old basement dweller. Why don't you allow Steveism posts in moderation? Thanks.

Greatkitteh was here.-

7. I still think banning "For Steve" together is over the top. Steveists by nature are mature enough, and even I'm not some 9 yr old basement dweller. Why don't you allow Steveism posts in moderation? Thanks.

For Steve.

XLL3z4T.gif

For Steve.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win