Books

Cow

So, what books or book series are your favorites and what book are you reading currently?

My favorite book series has to be the Master and Commander series. Currently, I'm reading Les Miserables, because it's free on Kindle.

• Administrators

ASoIF (Game of Thrones) is an amazing series I finished (of what books are out) a while back. After that I started reading the Kingkiller Chronicles (Name of the Wind is the first book, by Patrick Rothfuss)

Game of Thrones is good. Lots of characters, good dialogue, good story. But let me just say, I fell in love with Name of the Wind and it's sequel Wise Man's Fear (third book is coming out next year or something, it's a trilogy). They're both fantasy books but NotW/WMF are really, really good stories thus far and the way that Patrick Rothfuss writes those books... I can't even explain it. It's almost poetic reading it, but it's not like some books that take 10 chapters to describe how a flower looks, it all flows and keeps moving along but the story is so enticing and... I can't even explain it. They're not terribly long books, and I would highly recommend them to anyone that likes Fantasy (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.)

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Posted Image

This was a good book series. Only two books, and the sumary of what its about might sound pretty lame (especially after Twilight), but after reading it, I thought it was pretty damn good.

And no, it isnt a book about vampires. Its about Peeps. What are peeps? Hard to explain, really. Imagine combigning your typical zombie movie with your typical (non Stephanie Meyer) vampire movie to create something completely unique. :P

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Haven't read anything in a long time, but favorites I have read are all the novels in The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I also enjoyed The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown. Oh, also The Green Mile by Stephen King.

Going way back, I once read Hound of the Baskervilles, a Sherlock Holmes mystery by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Definitely one of my favorites of all time.

c3Ct0v4.png

Aquinas's books are the only ones of all the mentioned ones that I have any interest in reading.

Anyway, I started reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and if schoolwork didn't oblige me to give other, lesser books a higher priority, I would be done with it by now, because it is legitimately among the best books that I've ever read. I'm also in the process of reading The Riddle of Amish Culture by Donald Kraybill (for a school project which is due tomorrow) and The Art of War by Sun Tzu (because I happen to have bought a copy so I need to read it).

Of the books that I've already read, I would put Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card at the top of my list of favorites. It's a brilliantly-written novel and I would recommend it to anyone who isn't an utter imbecile. Late eighteenth-century and early nineteenth-century novels also tend to draw my interest. I read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad about a month or so ago and it was an intensely introspective read, without much action, to be honest; The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells was of comparable quality, with more action and less introspection but a somewhat similar theme.

Has anyone read anything of any quality (preferably non-fiction) centered around the German Freikorps during the interwar period? General European history is also interesting to me, but for some reason that interwar period has been drawing my attention lately. I'm particularly interested in Eastern Europe during that time, and how ragtag armies of demobilized German soldiers clashed with hastily-assembled Soviets over vast tracts of land which were in the end controlled by the nationalists who were struggling against both of those forces as well as each other for regional dominance. I feel like that was a really formative period in European history, and in the end defined the history of the world (Germany was forced to give up everything, Russia became a global superpower under communist rule, and nobody ever asked the rest of East Europe for its opinion on anything ever again).

CQVbTuN.png

Mein Kampf was certainly interesting. I found it to be full of facts, shrouded behind fantasy and made up BS. But Hitler was quite the thinker. I think his experience with WW1 really messed him up.

Enders game was amazing! That entire book series was amazing. It sucks that its a movie now.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

Mein Kampf was certainly interesting. I found it to be full of facts, shrouded behind fantasy and made up BS. But Hitler was quite the thinker. I think his experience with WW1 really messed him up.Enders game was amazing! That entire book series was amazing. It sucks that its a movie now.

I think that the former is a matter of opinion; war shapes a man's consciousness and reveals truths that peace and comfort can never even begin to make apparent to a man, no matter how much of a thinker he may be. I intend to read Storm of Steel by Ernst Juenger soon; have you ever come across it? I'm hoping that it will help me compensate for the lack of war in my own life by allowing me to interpret the world through the mind of a true soldier.

As for the Ender's Game movie, 2/10 would censor. The special effects were incredible and the acting can't be criticized too heavily, but the writing, casting, and directing resulted in... well, an abomination, to be frank. The one good thing that I have to say about it is that Harrison Ford really nailed Colonel Graff. I had no trouble accepting that from the moment he entered the movie.

CQVbTuN.png

I've never heard of that book actually.

As for Enters game, Haha. Harrison Ford is col. Graff? Interesting... Ill have to watch it now.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

I've never heard of that book actually.

As for Enters game, Haha. Harrison Ford is col. Graff? Interesting... Ill have to watch it now.

Yeah. It's, ah, quite the movie. My girlfriend and I went to see it a while ago and agreed that it was terrible but had great special effects. As for Storm of Steel, I'll tell you what it's like after I've read it. I've seen it highly recommended several times, but the kind of company I keep is the kind of company that would recommend such a book.

Also, what the hell happened to the quoting on this site? I'm so confused, this is awful.

CQVbTuN.png

xtbt.jpg

This was a good book series. Only two books, and the sumary of what its about might sound pretty lame (especially after Twilight), but after reading it, I thought it was pretty damn good.

And no, it isnt a book about vampires. Its about Peeps. What are peeps? Hard to explain, really. Imagine combigning your typical zombie movie with your typical (non Stephanie Meyer) vampire movie to create something completely unique. :P

Parasite Positives. :P I haven't read the second book.

I'm currently reading the Midnighters series. Which is pretty decent. Then I'll go back to re-reading the Dune series (only those by Frank Herbert, not the new shit).

dUkp0bT.gif

Presently I'm working my way through Lectures to My Students by Charles Spurgeon, Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin, and Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant. The most recent fiction book that I read was Huxley's Brave New World

xtbt.jpg

Parasite Positives. :P I haven't read the second book.

I'm currently reading the Midnighters series. Which is pretty decent. Then I'll go back to re-reading the Dune series (only those by Frank Herbert, not the new !@#$).

Oh, the second book is just as great. A little more odd, but just as good. Different characters, but Cal and Lace come into the story near the end.

Its also written a bit different. It switches back and forth between different characters narrating in each chapter, one of whom is this super awesome peep named Minerva. One of the single coolest characters of all time.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

--Foxburo Wiki--

Presently I'm working my way through Lectures to My Students by Charles Spurgeon, Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin, and Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant. The most recent fiction book that I read was Huxley's Brave New World

I really liked Brave New World. Not because I liked the world, contrary to what some people might think. It was an interesting book.

What are those second two books about, incidentally? I don't know much about either Calvin or Kant, but old German religion and philosophy have come to interest me a lot in recent years.

CQVbTuN.png

my fav. has to be ASoIF by far but I'm currently reading world-wide mind which is NF. After that I'll probably try and hit War & Peace, we'll see how that goes....

I tried reading War and Peace, twice, but never could get into it enough to keep going after 300 pages or so.

EHEqT.jpg

my fav. has to be ASoIF by far but I'm currently reading world-wide mind which is NF. After that I'll probably try and hit War & Peace, we'll see how that goes....

I tried reading War and Peace, twice, but never could get into it enough to keep going after 300 pages or so.

I do love me some classic Russian literature but, if I had a recommendation, I'd start with Dostoevsky instead of Tolstoy. The Idiot is one of the few books that I've reread twice within a 2 year time period and it's probably my single favorite book, not series. If you are really pushing for Tolstoy, expect lots of breaks in the action as the author elucidates on every topic imaginable. Dostoevsky does this, though to a lesser extent, and Victor Hugo does it without incorporating anything into the overall story. Great stories in both Les Miserables and War and Peace,  but I prefer Dostoevsky (The Idiot, The Brother's Karamazov, Crime and Punishment (ranked below the other two)).

ASoIAF

Crime and Punishment

Ender's Game first 3 books in series

Cow, what do you recommend by Dostoevsky?

king.png

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery" -- Detroit Red

Now that's who we'll call an intelligent man!

"The King" of Th e  S  e   v   e   n    K    i     n      g      d       o        m         s

ASoIAF

Crime and Punishment

Ender's Game first 3 books in series

Cow, what do you recommend by Dostoevsky?

I don't know why but I love The Idiot. It's mainly Jesus allegory, but it's amazing Jesus allegory.

Archived