Books

Cow

I just started Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell, about his time fighting alongside the anarchist/communist militias in the Spanish Civil War. I also started reading Work by crimethinc, which is a criticism of capitalist economy. 

“There was no boss-class, no menial-class, no beggars, no prostitutes, no lawyers, no priests, no boot-licking, no cap-touching ... Human beings were behaving as human beings and not as cogs in the capitalist machine.â€

― George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia

• 4 weeks later...

my fav. has to be ASoIF by far but I'm currently reading world-wide mind which is NF. After that I'll probably try and hit War & Peace, we'll see how that goes....

I tried reading War and Peace, twice, but never could get into it enough to keep going after 300 pages or so.

War and Peace is [word edited out for nice posting] fantastic. Leo Tolstoy's blend with history and fiction [and not just that] makes it a hugely satisfying read. I finished that [word edited out for nice posting] in two weeks because of how good it was. On another note, If you like Historical Fiction, Read Ragtime by E.L Doctorow. I have a few books I plan to start this year. They are as Follows: The Road by Cormac Mcarthy, For Whom The Bell Tolls by Hemingway, First two Books of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, and The Portrait of the Artist as a young man by James Joyce.

I don't know why but I love The Idiot. It's mainly Jesus allegory, but it's amazing Jesus allegory.

The Idiot is all well and good, but my personal favorite remains Notes From the Underground. 

The only book I need is the bible.

"A templar knight is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel. He is thus doubly-armed, and need not fear neither demons nor men."

Z7v67aD.jpg

http://politicsandwar.com/alliance/id=120

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read anything recently but the Master and Commander books are awesome. I only got up to book four or five but I will go back and finish them some time. Or at least read a few more.

The Idiot is freakin' AMAZING it made me smile from ear to ear when i first picked it up. I only got halfway through though. I kept having to look up the names and would always accidentally read spoilers. FFS people! just because its a classic doesn't mean you can throw spoilers all over everything! But yeah.. Prince Myshkin (the protagonist) is easily the best character in any book I have ever read.

I would count Nabokov as another favorite and I couldn't even finish Lolita. I'm useless at finishing books.

If anyone has any recommendations for poetry that an angsty young guy might enjoy that would be rad. I like TS Eliot but haven't been able to find much else. That or some really stylized prose. I might give Burroughs a go, I've heard nobody finishes The Naked Lunch anyway.

Also this is my first post so hi.

Reading "Behold A Pale Horse" right now, tiny font with huge page size and page amount makes this thing monstrous. Probably going to get "The Nature of Man", "Why Does the World Exist?", "On Liberty and Other Essays",  "An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding", and "The Selected Works of Cicero" in one purchase for the free shipping of them together.

Archived