Different Time Zones

Dan77

There is obviously a massive advantage during a battle to actually being awake just before day change.

This gives people in different parts of the world either an easy or difficult time.

How about adding time zones based on your location on the map?  You could still have a default Orbis time (OMT) and individual nations could be +/- that time (in the same way that world time is based on GMT).

Not only would this enable players to be on a level playing field but it would also introduce an extra element of strategy.  Alliances battling someone could have players from different time zones hitting the same person and gaining advantages at different times.

Yeah, I hate waking up at 6.50am for day change.  I'm sure there are others for whom it is even more inconvenient for though.

• Upvote 1

The problem with this is that it makes it even more unfair. Having a level playing field makes it fair. Sure you might have to be up at 6 am, 1 am, etc., but it means that there are no disputes about underestimating someone's military because now you have to keep track of where they live. As someone who lives in EST, I see the current system as being as fair as it can be.

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

Yeah it suck for me to be up at 6:50am too - we are in the same timezone. But if your timezone was set on actual, some would still have an advantage. If you could set it yourself, it would be abused.

Are you originally from Earth, too?

Proud owner of Harry's goat. It's mine now.

I now own MinesomeMC's goat, too. It's starting to look like a herd.

Yep, it is a herd. Aldwulf has added his goat, too, and it ain't Irish.

Yeah it suck for me to be up at 6:50am too - we are in the same timezone. But if your timezone was set on actual, some would still have an advantage. If you could set it yourself, it would be abused.

Not really.  If it was based on your location on the in game map and moves were restricted to one every 5 days or whatever.

Some people will be completely unable to be up around day change due to sleep/work/other commitments.  If they could set it to suit their routine then it would be fairer.  As it is, you generally get an advantage if you happen to live in a certain part of the world.

Unless Orbis is flat there should be time zones.  It looks very much like Earth on the map though.

Edited by Dan77
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, if this is for the six of us nerds who actually change our sleep schedules to be active at update, this suggestion is doomed.

If it was based on your location on the in game map

That detail wouldn't be such a good idea. I'm in the United States, but my nation is in Europe on the game map - that would mean my nation's "time zone" would be several hours off from what I'm actually experiencing. That would make things even more messy. Basically, the problem would be that some locations on the game map would suddenly become much more favorable than others, due to their time zone.

The only way this suggestion would really work out fairly for everyone would be if Sheepy made "time zones" and set them to each nation based on the player's physical location. I suspect that would be far too much work for Sheepy for far too little an improvement (if any, really), and many people would probably become frustrated about privacy and such.

Good intentions behind this suggestion, but I just don't think it's within the abilities of an online political sim game.

Edited by Roma
  • Upvote 1

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

As an advanced time-traveller I can tell you that time just doesn't work that way.

Edited by Buck Turgidson
  • Upvote 1

I like the idea of being able to change when your "update" is for buying military and anything else based on days rather than turns (off the top of my head only military.)

A simple restriction to prevent abuse would be to make it so you can only push an update forward, not back. So whenever you change it the period between updates has to be more than 12 turns / 24 hours.

GnWq7CW.png

As someone who lives in a part of the world where update time is at 1430... I dont think I can or should complain XD

See that would be even worse for me than 7am.  At the moment I have to get up early which is a pain in the arse but I'm unable to log on around 14:30 due to work.  The point is that everyone has different schedules and a set day change for everyone is perfect for some and terrible for others.

Being able to log in prior to day change isn't a small advantage.  It's absolutely key to the outcome of wars.  If your opponent can log in for day change and you can't you are at a massive disadvantage.

My solution might not be perfect but it would be good if a change of some description could be made to address the issue.  I don't think rebuilding on each turn is the solution either though as that just hands advantage to people who are able to be online all day long.

Having it based on in-game location is annoying and would be just as awkward. 

I would probably still have to wake up at 5 or 7 am and Americans will have the same problem too now.

IpHGyGc.png

How about being able to set your reset time yourself?  Can't be that hard to code. surely.  A drop down box in the nation edit that allows you to choose a time which best suites you and your life.  Also gives you the added fun of not knowing what time your enemy can rebuild!  As Dan says, it gives a massive advantage the way it is now, to those players in a favourable timezone.

☾☆

Warrior of Dio

Can we do away with the reset time entirely?  Just have military purchasing tied to turns, like income is (and have it stack up to 12 worth turns max).  It would take some tweaking of the number of units you can buy per day, but it might make things easier.  So for soldiers, increase the amount of soldiers you can buy per barracks per day to 1200.  Each turn, you can buy 100 soldiers/barracks.  The amount you can buy stacks each turn, capped at 1200/barracks.  Once you buy soldiers, the amount you can buy decreases, until the next turn, when it goes up by 100/barracks again.

• Upvote 3

Can we do away with the reset time entirely?  Just have military purchasing tied to turns, like income is (and have it stack up to 12 worth turns max).  It would take some tweaking of the number of units you can buy per day, but it might make things easier.  So for soldiers, increase the amount of soldiers you can buy per barracks per day to 1200.  Each turn, you can buy 100 soldiers/barracks.  The amount you can buy stacks each turn, capped at 1200/barracks.  Once you buy soldiers, the amount you can buy decreases, until the next turn, when it goes up by 100/barracks again.

It's the most reasonable solution.

YkvbNCA.jpg

You're no longer protecting the II? We have still teamed with II and TAC (and others) to rival The Covenants. This is getting complex.

#FA_Problems

Big problems for TSG. Really, not kidding.

If Casey and Cyradis are King and Queen does that mean they're married?

So far one reasonable solution, but not too late for a second (maybe): have several instances (ie separate servers for Americas, Europe and Africa, and Asia and Australia) running worlds of PW simultaneously, but with different reset times. It could make for some interesting language issues too, which can be cool. Alliances can't really scale beyond a certain point anyhow, and it could introduce a new dimension to alliances. Boy am I high.

Edited by Buck Turgidson

I guess the question then would become how to manage daily allotments of soldier purchases, spy purchases, etc....not to mention potential to abuse the $10,000 log-in bonuses...I guess you could make your time reflect on screen as your time, but game mechanics need to be running on a synchronized time for date rollover and such.  I don't see how rolling date changes would work when you are at war with someone who was on a different 'time zone'.  Too many issues and a few potential abuses in my opinion.

Ok...sorry didn't see updated suggestion before posting.  Only remaining issue I guess is how to handle daily login bonus.  Although I'm not sure I like separating the max soldier purchases by turn unless you can stack up 5-10 consecutive turns and still purchase a daily amount all at once?!

Edited by Yukon Don