Change to Donations

Alex

• Administrators

Before I roll out a pretty substantial change, I wanted to preview it by the community. I don't expect any negative feedback here, but I'd like to run it through the mill just in case.

I'd like to change donations form a manual processing system to an automatic one. What this would entail is a similar paypal donation page where you bought credits. These credits would be automatically added to your account through a script that verifies your donation, and then would be added to your nation. Once you had the credits, you could spend them at any time you chose on nation bonuses, flags, avatars, etc.

This would make things a lot faster, no more waiting around for your donations, and keep you from potentially losing a bunch of your money from a donation due to an attack because you weren't logged in when I got on and processed the donation, etc.

Now the only slight change I'd like to make is bumping the donation increments from $5 to $6. I'm looking at making some more significant server improvements and actually opening up another server for something like a Politics & War: Turbo game that resets every X days and is faster pace (something like the speed round), but something like that won't be "donateable" for. To be able to start an endeavor like that, I'll need to be able to cover additional server costs, and I thought that a $1 change would be small enough that its impact would be negligible.

So, here's what I'm proposing for the new, automated system:

Each credit costs $6, or you can buy them in bulk for cheaper.

1 Credit: $6

3 Credits: $17

6 Credits: $33.50

12 Credits: $66.50

24 Credits: $132.50

Each nation would still be capped to 6 credits worth of nation bonuses. 1 Credit would be the $750,000 (5 USD) nation bonus that we have now, and so for $33.50 you could get the equivalent of what's a $30 USD donation now. The higher end options, like 12 or 24 credits would be for anyone who's planning on donating for multiple nations and wants to save by getting the credits in bulk (it's $11.50 in savings getting 24 credits together instead of one at a time, which I'm encouraging because it saves me money from PayPal.)

Pretty straightforward, and will need some testing before it's rolled out and ready to go on it's own, but I just wanted it screened so there isn't anything obviously horrible about this that I'm overlooking. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Also, will we be able to take in game cash, and instead convert them to credits?

That might cause for some confusion with a person wanting to be that guy by switching his name drastically, frequently, and causing drama. There'd need to be a limiter if the cash could be turned into credits.

Also, that'd allow people to hide money.

Edited by fistofdoom

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I like the idea of transferring them. I don't like the idea of buying them with in-game cash. Use resources for that. The point of donations is to generate funds for Sheepy to continue to work on the game. Allowing in-game cash to be used to purchase credits would simply eliminate that.

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

I like the idea of transferring them. I don't like the idea of buying them with in-game cash. Use resources for that. The point of donations is to generate funds for Sheepy to continue to work on the game. Allowing in-game cash to be used to purchase credits would simply eliminate that.

Good point.

Transferable would still be interesting. That way people can buy them, Sheepy gets paid, and broke people can still have a chance to "buy" them off the people donating.

Plus it creates a sort of market. Sure, you can trade credits in for 750k. Or I can sell them to someone for more, but can't afford to donate.

Edited by Jodo

q8nfyvc.gif

Yeah, it opens a market up for them, which isn't a bad thing. In fact I'd be willing to wager that it might generate more donations.

I'm sure it would. Which is great for Sheepy, and great for players who simply can't afford to donate.

q8nfyvc.gif

Perhaps put a limit on that to 2 transfers a month for non-donation nation.

Also perhaps up the money contents a wee bit..

1 credit $1 mil

3 credits $3 mil

6 credits $5 mil

And so on...

Esteemed janitor for Church of Cynic ~ may i clean the hearts of men with my blessed toilet brush.

Perhaps put a limit on that to 2 transfers a month for non-donation nation.

Also perhaps up the money contents a wee bit..

1 credit $1 mil

3 credits $3 mil

6 credits $5 mil

And so on...

1) don't up the money contents. Donations are supposed to be a supplement to your nation. This shouldn't become a pay to win scenario.

2) Why in the world would you limit the transfer/use of credits? The credits are generated by a donation. If someone wants to drop $$ on the game and make a market of selling the credits, why would you want to limit that? That's just silly.

On a somewhat side note that I know people will hate: Make them lootable.

If they are tradable, alliances will stock them. Nothing will cause a war faster than greed. We will have people smashing each other quick, or actually building militaries instead of going full commerce, which stimulates the resource market and forces people to produces goods.

q8nfyvc.gif

Limit transfer for nations that do not donate...to two transfers a month. Nations that do donate...get as many as is needed...the goal is to encourage donations...so the game prospers.

I suggested rounding up to whole numbers...instead of 750k, 1.5, 4.5....drop the point 5 and round up...balance. chill

I dont think donated credits should be lootable...perhaps have a difference between donated credits and in-game cash to credit transfers...call the in-game ones caches or sum such...caches are lootable

Edited by Eviljak

Esteemed janitor for Church of Cynic ~ may i clean the hearts of men with my blessed toilet brush.

Limit transfer for nations that do not donate...to two transfers a month. Nations that do donate...get as many as is needed...the goal is to encourage donations...so the game prospers.

I suggested rounding up to whole numbers...instead of 750k, 1.5, 4.5....drop the point 5 and round up...balance. chill

I am chill, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean otherwise. If there is a market for non-donating nations to use their in-game money to buy a credit off a nation that donates, why would you want to limit that? The donation still happened. And if the market dries up from credits, then the demand gets higher, tempting more people to donate. If you put a random limit on the amount, you're already adding a block to possible donations that could come in.

Hm...very true, I retract that part of my previous post.

Sheepy...wat will the monthly donation limit be if any?

Edited by Eviljak

The more we discuss it Jodo the more they're sounding like PLEX from Eve... only not being buyable by in-game money.

Now that you mention it, yes. Which is proof that the system can and will work.

q8nfyvc.gif

Mmh. I can't wait to see the hubbub in a few months or years if this is implemented when some con artist hatches a ploy to hijack a boatload of everyone's credits and sails off into the sunset flushing hundreds of dollars' worth of peoples' real money down the toilet.

Not that I'm against that, mind. I support this change, and Malone's/Jodo's suggestions.

Edited by Erin
  • Upvote 1

I would be against making these credits lootable. For the same reason that if you give me the cash while I'm sleeping and someone steals it, that would run into the same issue of someone stealing the credits while I'm sleeping. 

Now once I convert it into cash, sure, pillage it if we're in a war. But being able to touch it before I can even convert it would definitely result in me being extremely pissed off and leaving. 

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

I like the automation and implementation of credits for donations, Sheepy. The suggestions made by Jodo and Malone above would likely drive more donations and add an interesting facet to the game itself, if implemented.