Battle mechanic

Grillick

I've been searching and searching, and I can't for the life of me find the post where Sheepy explained the numbers used for the battle mechanic.

I know that battles (that's what I'm calling the 3 mini-contests built into the resolution of a war action) compare a random number that is based on the strength of each side's military. What I don't remember is the range for that random number. It caps at 100% of the military strength, but what's the base? I know it was 0 at one point, but it was changed because people were annoyed that they weren't getting immense triumphs against 0 ships, but I can't remember (or find) what it was changed to.

Can someone be so kind as to give me a link to the relevant post, or an answer to my question?

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

• Administrators

Tonight when I get home and have all the source code handy, I'll see if I can get this for you. I'd also like to make a battle simulator at some point where players can enter in their own custom numbers and get a generated possible result.

• Upvote 6

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Tonight when I get home and have all the source code handy, I'll see if I can get this for you. I'd also like to make a battle simulator at some point where players can enter in their own custom numbers and get a generated possible result.

God yes. Please do.

q8nfyvc.gif

• Administrators

Here's how a ground battle works:

Attacker's Army Value = Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers * 1 + Tanks  * 40

Defender's Army Value = Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers * 1 + Tanks  * 40

A simulation occurs:

AttSolCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)*.4,(Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)),1)
DefSolCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)*.4,(Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)),1)

AttTankCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Tanks * 40 * .4),(Tanks * 40)),1)
DefTankCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Tanks * 40 * .4),(Tanks * 40)),1)

AttRand = AttSolCasRand + AttTankCasRand
DefRand = DefSolCasRand + DefTankCasRand

If(AttRand > DefRand) {
Victory = Victory + 1

AttTankCasualties += ((DefTankCasRand+1)/550) + ((DefSolCasRand+1)/6600)
DefTankCasualties += ((AttTankCasRand+1)/530) + ((AttSolCasRand+1)/6600)

} else {

AttTankCasualties += ((DefTankCasRand+1)/530) + ((DefSolCasRand+1)/6600)
DefTankCasualties += ((AttTankCasRand+1)/550) + ((AttSolCasRand+1)/6600)

}

That simulation is ran 3 times, and casualties are added up and the victory type decided from the three rolls. Then damage and cash stolen is calculated.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

That's the top two variables calculated.

You mean this?:

AttSolCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)*.4,(Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)),1)

DefSolCasRand = MAX(RANDBETWEEN((Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)*.4,(Armed Soldiers * 1.75 + Unarmed Soldiers)),1)

So how does that work? I see it takes the soldier power and then computes a random number between 40% and 100% of its power, but I don't see how that is then applied to determining soldier casualties? Surely 40-100% aren't killed in a skirmish.

I thought this part was just to calculate strength values and then randomize it a bit to determine who wins the skirmish, but not to calculate casualties. 

There should be variables called AttSolCasualties and DefSolCasualties, shouldn't there?

Edited by Princess Bubblegum

• Administrators

No, I just forgot to throw in soldier casualties. That's my bad. When I get home I'll update it.

Forums Rules | Game Link

• 2 weeks later...