Strategy Games

Doom

I prefer Scotland. Conquer England, get excommunicated, and spend the rest of the game locked in endless war until you win.

But seriously, Medieval 2 is my favorite Total War game because it has many layers of strategic conflict: Battles, assassins, spies, merchants, religion, papal election, holy wars... and I also love conquering the Aztecs as someone other than Spain.

Shogun 2 has some of these things in common, but the factions are all so similar to one another.

Wow ETW looks like a step down.

And on Black Friday/Thanksgiving/Holiday sales I should get a better computer (hard as heck because I don't live in the US and they seem to be the only ones with stronk PCs) and EUIV. Maybe I'll get MTW2 and some other grand strategies (the PC I'm getting won't be able to run FPSes that good, except for Verdun)

You'll probably hate me for this, but I love playing Rome 2 and Shogun 2. Rome because of the scale of it, and the better interaction of land and sea, but being a massive fan of the original shogun I thought the new one was quite good.

I can't stand the new Rome game. Units standing around doing nothing because they have to wait for their "turn" to do a kill move. Armies turning into a gelatinous mass. The fact that your units can become a fleet auto-magically and purchasing a dedicated fleet is a waste of money. The arbitrary limit on the amount of armies you can have. The broken AI. The silly civil war system. The useless diplomacy. Your allies are blockading a city and you want to attack it? "lol no" The fact that they don't put the upgrade tree in game but give you a link to an encyclopedia that is unorganized. The fact that the game has become less of a situation where you nudge your general in the right direction and become a game of pick the best stats. 

The best part of it all? They keep releasing DLC instead of fixing the damn game, have they even fixed the siege AI yet?

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Wow ETW looks like a step down.

And on Black Friday/Thanksgiving/Holiday sales I should get a better computer (hard as heck because I don't live in the US and they seem to be the only ones with stronk PCs) and EUIV. Maybe I'll get MTW2 and some other grand strategies (the PC I'm getting won't be able to run FPSes that good, except for Verdun)

ETW is my favorite. People hated the removal of the family mechanic, but if you think about it, the scope is too large for families.

bwjfk.jpg

The Realm of Wyldwood

Member of the Brotherhood of the Clouds

Supremacy 1914 is a fun browser based strategy game

Would reccomend if you have time to waste

That game still exists? Why is it all the browser based strategy games people play nowadays are games that I stopped playing years ago?

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Supremacy 1914 is a fun browser based strategy game

Would reccomend if you have time to waste

p2w = nope/10

ETW is my favorite. People hated the removal of the family mechanic, but if you think about it, the scope is too large for families.

It's ok but the provinces aren't always provinces really. It's similiar to AtWar Default map actually. Take Paris and you control all of France (not the colonies). Although in AW you dont control the other cities but just the cap.

I can't stand the new Rome game. Units standing around doing nothing because they have to wait for their "turn" to do a kill move. Armies turning into a gelatinous mass. The fact that your units can become a fleet auto-magically and purchasing a dedicated fleet is a waste of money. The arbitrary limit on the amount of armies you can have. The broken AI. The silly civil war system. The useless diplomacy. Your allies are blockading a city and you want to attack it? "lol no" The fact that they don't put the upgrade tree in game but give you a link to an encyclopedia that is unorganized. The fact that the game has become less of a situation where you nudge your general in the right direction and become a game of pick the best stats. 

The best part of it all? They keep releasing DLC instead of fixing the damn game, have they even fixed the siege AI yet?

Kill move? I think it depends on the enemy as to whether they turn into a mass of men, admittedly yes the AI is screwed I'll happily admit that. The civil war system is a nuisance of you don't care about it and just want to play the game. Although if you get involved it can be amusing, mildly. The diplomacy needs an overhaul yes, but they need that on all total war games. On your last point about DLCs I totally agree with you, they need to fix it, rather than try to cover it up with new content that's just as bad.

Kill move? I think it depends on the enemy as to whether they turn into a mass of men, admittedly yes the AI is screwed I'll happily admit that. The civil war system is a nuisance of you don't care about it and just want to play the game. Although if you get involved it can be amusing, mildly. The diplomacy needs an overhaul yes, but they need that on all total war games. On your last point about DLCs I totally agree with you, they need to fix it, rather than try to cover it up with new content that's just as bad.

I find EU: Rome to have a much better civil war mechanics. Rather than a civil war starting just because you've reached a certain point in the game, it happens because of disloyal generals and governors(or whatever they are called). Try to remove someone from power and your a tyrant? Congrats on your civil war you get to fight and hope no one takes the opportunity to attack you while you're divided. 

Kill moves were added in Shogun 2. Basically, instead of having units attack and defend and stuff each unit is placed into a 1v1 and then, using the stats, a kill move is executed. You outnumber your enemies and you want to use your numbers advantage to actually count? To bad, your units wait for a 1v1 in some sort of corrupted strategy game version of the One-at-a-time Attack Rule.

Edited by underlordgc

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

You rarely find anyone who uses money in it so it's okay. And if you play with people you know, you don't even need to worry about that problem.

That's like saying it's not a problem in CW when you ecounter someone with a suppressed Noveske (top 3 best guns in Contract Wars) in a 0-15 match.

And to give you an idea, imagine a assault rifle that has great accuracy, a collimator, a suppressor and high damage with a high fire rate. Mobility and reload speed is decent too.

Edited by Pwnius Scrubius

(if I didn't already ask this) what's everyone's thoughts on EU4? I just started playing it today. The learning curve is still painful, even though I played EU3 religiously. :P

EU4 is easier than EU3. Practically an arcade game at this point. 

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

(if I didn't already ask this) what's everyone's thoughts on EU4? I just started playing it today. The learning curve is still painful, even though I played EU3 religiously. :P

It's pretty fun, definitely easier than EU3. Those damned points can be super frustrating, but things are especially easy on the current patch, where vassal feeding is back to being super legitimate after a long hiatus.

Medieval 2 was always my favorite Total war game, Byzantines FTW!

^ This.

But seriously, I love Medieval 2, especially mods like Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent, and Third Age (i.e. the Lord of the Ring themed-mod).

http://i.imgur.com/K3xCRAP.png

^ This.

But seriously, I love Medieval 2, especially mods like Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent, and Third Age (i.e. the Lord of the Ring themed-mod).

I'm still disappointed that SS7 was canceled 

Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I'm a Civ V kinda guy too, I also like, Alpha Centuri, Mount & Blade: Warband, and Starcraft/warcraft RTS's. :P

EDIT: Cannot forget Crusader Kings II and Age of Empires! Man, I just have so many I love. Any recommendations for a person with my tastes? Haha

Edited by BuySomeChips

We have seized the means of production. Though union, and self-governance, we have organized between all peoples of the land.