When is a good time to build another city?

Varspasian

My first city is currently at 500 infra, and I noticed that I have to pay over 2,000 dollars per infra. So I was wondering if I should save up my money around the 500 infra point for another city, or if I should continue on building up this city?

THE FASCIST REPUBLIC

OF

SILISTRIOUS

THE REAL P&W FASCIST

500 is an ok point to get a 2nd city because you'll need another power building to exceed 500 anyway.  Build your second city, get it to 500, then analyze do you want to go to 600 or 700 in each or do you want to push on to a 3rd city first.

Definately before moving to 4 cities, you'll want 700 or 800 in each.

These are my opinions not backed by solid math research but by my "gut".

Duke of House Greyjoy

This is how I went:

1 City at 500 infra, buy second city.

2 Cities at 500 infra, buy third city.

3 Cities at 500 infra, buy fourth city.

4 Cities at 700 infra, buy fifth city.

5 Cities at 1000 infra, buy sixth city.

Might not be the best, but it's how I went/am going.

scSqPGJ.gif

you should always buy cities, even if the ones you already have are currently at zero infra because you spent all of your money on cities

cities give you more potential improvement slots and raise your strength, which will make people more scared to declare on your nation

then later on you can just fill them up with some infra once you have the money

• Upvote 1

My first city is currently at 500 infra, and I noticed that I have to pay over 2,000 dollars per infra. So I was wondering if I should save up my money around the 500 infra point for another city, or if I should continue on building up this city?

Definitely build another city, if the other posts here haven't persuaded you yet. The infrastructure is much cheaper in the new city because there's less of it, so you can increase your population very quickly (in addition to giving you more ability to buy mines, farms, etc). If you're wise about what you buy, it can give you a tremendous income boost, which over the course of a couple days can help you buy more infrastructure.

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

Don't buy infra, buy land.

Land didn't help me nearly as much as infrastructure. You obviously need to buy more land, else your food upkeep goes through the roof, but infrastructure is what increases your income (which, at the start, is generally more important than your food production and such).

"Bibant, quoniam edere nolunt." ~ "Let them drink, since they do not wish to eat."

003.png.dec0ea9eb3902372b8bbca44165b588f.png

This is how I went:

1 City at 500 infra, buy second city.

2 Cities at 500 infra, buy third city.

3 Cities at 500 infra, buy fourth city.

4 Cities at 700 infra, buy fifth city.

5 Cities at 1000 infra, buy sixth city.

Might not be the best, but it's how I went/am going.

Agreed I think this will work out okay. You want to keep your cities as close as possible to being twins when it comes to infra and land.

As soon as you can.  I'm dying to get my third city, I just can't build it so soon after my second.

You get an age bonus for the age of your city (bonus to your pop growth) so, towards infinity, you always want to build your next city as soon as you can.  Not saying that should affect short term decision-making, just take it into account.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

As soon as you can.  I'm dying to get my third city, I just can't build it so soon after my second.

You get an age bonus for the age of your city (bonus to your pop growth) so, towards infinity, you always want to build your next city as soon as you can.  Not saying that should affect short term decision-making, just take it into account.

I didn't know this either good to know.

I didn't know this either good to know.

I've developed a reputation for being the resident good Samaritan.  I'm basically just a giving, generous person.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

One thing to remember infrastructure can be destroyed, cities can not. So even if they are close in price, choose the city.

Good to know. This thread has already taught me multiple things I didn't know. So please keep going. Edited by P2K

One thing to remember infrastructure can be destroyed, cities can not. So even if they are close in price, choose the city.

Remember that buying a city also requires you to get more infrastructure and land for that city. 500 infrastructure is probably the best place to be when getting a new city.

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

I went

(I think) first city at 400 infra, then buy 2nd

(I think) 2 cities at 500 infra, then buy 3rd

3 cities at 600 infra, then buy 4th

3 cities at 700, 1 city at 800 (farm town), then buy 5th

Planning to get my 6th at 900 infra per city.