How do Spies work?

Godfrey

Spies are worth it, as long as you can afford their exorbitant prices. In times of war and raiding they can be quite useful

Nope, spies are free action, you can do it to anyone and anytime you like. The only limitation is that you can only do a spy action once a day and a nation can only be targeted three times a day

50 spies can do damage roughly equal to one improvement's worth of a particular military assets (3000 soldiers, 250 tanks, 18 aircrafts), the number is kinda different when dealing on ships

CMIIW

UedhRvY.png

Spies are awesome in war, and a must have if you've got a navy. Ships are expensive and easily destroyed.

59a.gif

"They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers.

But what's the real cost? ‘Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper.

Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got them made by little slave kids?

What are your overheads?"

• Administrators

Spies are great utility units - you can use them to gather intel (very easy operation) or sabotage enemy units (more difficult depending on the tier of unit). They are, as previously mentioned, very expensive, but it may be worth keeping one or two around at all times to help defend against spy operation against your nation, but it is going to cost you to do so. 

The amount of damage spies can do is pretty limited unless the odds are really in the favor of the attacking nation (attacker has a ton of spies, defending has few or none). At a very small nation size I wouldn't worry about them at all, but as you grow you may want to incrementally increase the number of spies you have.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I do like the new spy odds for destruction.  I looked up Adama with 5 spies to my 3 and it's pretty hard to destroy his ships and costly to even try.  I like it.  In SpeedRound it was mega easy to spy and cheap.

I am sorry, I don't quite understand this....How do spies protect your ships?

Having spies makes it harder for your enemies to use spies. Ships cost a lot and have the ability to blockade, making them a huge spy target. So, you want spies if you have a navy, to protect those costly investments.

• Upvote 2

59a.gif

"They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers.

But what's the real cost? ‘Cause the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper.

Why are we still paying so much for sneakers when you got them made by little slave kids?

What are your overheads?"

As for the spy percentage....does that mean "quick and dirty" will only do 25% of the damage a normal spy operation would do, or does it mean it only has a 25% of working at all?  

If it is successful, when would the results of the spy action be seen?  Perhaps the next turn, or if the spy is super covert would it take longer?  I ask because I am only on beige for 6 more days and I'm doing the math on how many barracks/factories/spies I might need to start buidling up on Wednesday.

Can a spy take defensive action against aggressive air bombardment to help mitigate ground force damage?

All Hail Lardbelly!  Lord of Digestion!  Conqueror of Quesadillas!  Ruler of Rotissierie!  Potentate of Pizza!  Future Irresponsible Wielder of Thermonuclear Weapons! 

Bring me your finest meats and cheeses or be nuked into so much radioactive grit!  You have been warned.....

• Administrators

As for the spy percentage....does that mean "quick and dirty" will only do 25% of the damage a normal spy operation would do, or does it mean it only has a 25% of working at all?  

If it is successful, when would the results of the spy action be seen?  Perhaps the next turn, or if the spy is super covert would it take longer?  I ask because I am only on beige for 6 more days and I'm doing the math on how many barracks/factories/spies I might need to start buidling up on Wednesday.

Can a spy take defensive action against aggressive air bombardment to help mitigate ground force damage?

Spies and Espionage are completely separate from the war system.

Before you attempt an operation, you will see the odds of success, and those are based on the operation type and the number of spies you have vs. their spies, and the level of caution you're willing to pay for.

If you, say, sabotage enemy soldiers, it'll all happen right then and there. You'll put a bomb in an enemy barracks and kill up to 3,000 soldiers. Same goes for sabotaging other units. If you gather intel, you'll get some information about the nation right then and there as well.

As for defensive action, spies only defend against enemy spy attacks. You could, however, sabotage enemy planes so that your opponent has less forces to bomb you with, if that makes sense.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link