Bonuses for Reputation

Kurdanak

Stemming off of this idea - http://politicsandwar.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3040-10202014-bonuses-for-forum-posts/

I'm not entirely sure how good of an idea this is, but what about implementing a system where you get bonuses for reputation milestones? This would reward those who make relatable, quality posts.

I don't want to appear greedy - just a thought that popped into my head. :)

xzhPlEh.png?1

Better than the current system, you can even half it or something. 1000 rep is enough for 2 million me thinks.

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

• Administrators

Not a bad idea, let's see how our bonus for post count goes first. It might actually be easy to spam likes, players could do some sort of "like for like" thing, which would essentially cheat the system.

• Upvote 1

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Not a bad idea, let's see how our bonus for post count goes first. It might actually be easy to spam likes, players could do some sort of "like for like" thing, which would essentially cheat the system.

That's what I'm afraid of, too. When the like system was first implemented with no real rewards, people even did that. -_-

My main reason for suggesting this is to give props to those with less posts, but more quality in said posts. People could make thousands of borderline spam posts and get millions, but have only 50 rep points. :/

Edited by Kurdanak
  • Upvote 1
xzhPlEh.png?1

Hm, that's actually really easy to abuse, since all you need to do to get a big like count is to have all of your alliance mates like all of your post, and then do the same to each other. And it's even harder to track than the post count, as you can just see it from the recent posts.

• Upvote 3
UedhRvY.png

• Administrators

That's what I'm afraid of, too. When the like system was first implemented with no real rewards, people even did that. -_-

My main reason for suggesting this is to give props to those with less posts, but more quality in said posts. People could make thousands of borderline spam posts and get millions, but have only 50 rep points. :/

Right, and I think theoretically it's a great idea, I just have some reservations about it actually working in practice.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

Right, and I think theoretically it's a great idea, I just have some reservations about it actually working in practice.

I have reservations about it myself, and almost decided to not post the thread. But I'm hoping for some ideas to flow in. :)

One idea includes disabling the like system in the spam forum (or making it so likes there do not contribute to the count on your profile).

I'll try to think of a way to make this idea viable aside from a "like system police". It'd be better to avoid having to cherry-pick posts with like counts.

Edited by Kurdanak
xzhPlEh.png?1

Maybe you could put a limit on how many likes you can give out pr day or week or something?

It's not fool proof though of course.

“Be your friend’s true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.”

Hávamál

I think it's a good idea to promote quality posts but it can be easily misused. If I may, I have another suggestion/idea which will achieve the same goal just without the bonuses.

Institute the reputation system with positive and negative reputation options. It will ensure that good posts are noticed and praised by the community while poorly thought out posts are disliked. This will give incentive to people to make better posts.

I am not sure if this has been suggested before, I think it has been but anyway putting it out there for consideration.

That being said, those who make quality posts get their reward in other forms already (influence, respect, their views are taken more seriously, forum likes, etc). The biggest reward, in my opinion, is the effect of their post itself. If it makes a difference, even if it changes one person's viewpoint or brings home a profound thought or lesson forcefully, that is a reward enough in itself for most. I believe we don't need to monetize this.

Edited by Niklaus

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

Institute the reputation system with positive and negative reputation options. It will ensure that good posts are noticed and praised by the community while poorly thought out posts are disliked. This will give incentive to people to make better posts.

ydX9EQq.jpg

By gods then this site will be painfully introduced to a common practice called 'Downvote bombing'

No, letting the mass handling reputation of any kind would just open it to abuse, giving an option to vandalize things like this would just make matter even worse

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

I think that can be solved to some extent by limiting the number of downvotes and upvotes per day. I have seen this system work well in other communities (as a matter of fact, in the community I am talking about, I was against its implementation initially but later found it working better than the just "like" system). The problem you talk of may still persist though but it would be quite limited that way. Besides, we can always switch back if the things get too serious.

I recall that early on in either this game, or the one I played before it, the dislike option was disabled due to the negative connotation implied. I don't think we need any tool in place that is public discouragement of a person's thoughts or ideas.

As far as the rep bonus idea for likes, there's no feasible way it could work without being abused. I like that this new system encourages posting and actually contributing content rather than just upvoting or downvoting someone. We already had a small bonus for having a forum account and making a handful of posts, and now we have this incremental bonus program. I haven't seen this done in any other text based sim I've played. I really don't think Sheepy needs to do anything more than he's already doing.

c3Ct0v4.png

If it has been tried here before and failed then definitely it should not be implemented again.

As far as the discouragement of person's thoughts or ideas is concerned, I believe it can happen with current system as well. Just instead of a negative vote, it would be a post disapproving a person's view. The rep system would just provide another way to express your disapproval of something.

Wouldn't it also be hard to implement? 

"We pull in money, new recruits, all just to combat cipher, rubbing our noses in bloody battlefield dirt, all for revenge."

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night i can feel my leg, and my arm, even my fingers. The body i've lost, The comrades i've lost, won't stop hurting... it's like they're all still there... You feel it too, don't you?"

Hard to implement? No, I don't think so.

Prone to misuse? Yes, it's possible but not very likely given the size of our community and proportion of trolls in it and lack of incentive (no monetary gains) to misuse such a system.