Jump to content

War Mechanic - Reinforcements


Bopolo
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have an idea to share with you all with the hope of getting your input, and hopefully having the mechanic eventually implemented into PnW. In this post, I will outline how the mechanic will work, its intended purpose, implementation into the game, limitations and balances, and why I think it would benefit PnW.

How does it work?

You can reinforce an allied nation with military units directly from your own army. These reinforcements are exclusively for defensive purposes, and may not be used offensively. 

An example of its use: Say someone is getting countered, I send them 400 of my own planes to help protect their nation. Now their army has an extra 300 planes when they are defending against an attacker. 
 

What's the purpose of this mechanic?

It encourages camaraderie, promotes strategic thinking because the trade-off of sending reinforcements is you are weakening your own army. It's a balancing act. 
 

How can Alex add this to PnW?

Initially, I thought the addition of a new project called The Embassy would be a neat way to add Reinforcements to the game. However, given the recent addition of 2 new projects, perhaps adding another would be a deal breaker for nations with lower cities and infra. Perhaps simply having "reinforcement slots" on a nation with a maximum of 3 would be a better implementation. 

How is this balanced?!?!?

Through few simple rules, reinforcements can be a strategic double-edged sword and not some overpowered game-breaking mechanic. 

  1. Nations can receive 3 waves of reinforcements at most
  2. Only 1/5 of a nations army may be sent out as reinforcements.
  3. Reinforcements cannot be pulled for 1 day after sending them. During this time, they can all die. 

Additional potential balancing rules:

  1. The nation housing the reinforcements must supply them with food/gas/munitions.
  2. The nation housing the reinforcements cannot house reinforcements greater than what their own Military improvements can sustain. (If you have 22000/25000 tanks, you can house a total of 3000 tanks in reinforcements)

Why does the game need this? It's perfect the way it is!

Don't get me wrong, PnW is fun, but the best part of the game for me is the coordinating with allies, and Reinforcements would add more of that to the game. 

 

 

If you have any suggestions on tweaks, or any concerns with my idea, please feel free to lmk, I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Step 1. Ally with Grumpy.

Step 2. Declare aggressively in the low tier.

Step 3. Literally get 3 instant full rebuilds alongside the already existing doublebuy.

Unfortunately, while this is actually a very well-thought out idea, it would allow the top tier to disproportionately affect the lower tiers. I can't actually think of any way to really mitigate that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Scarfalot said:

Step 1. Ally with Grumpy.

Step 2. Declare aggressively in the low tier.

Step 3. Literally get 3 instant full rebuilds alongside the already existing doublebuy.

Unfortunately, while this is actually a very well-thought out idea, it would allow the top tier to disproportionately affect the lower tiers. I can't actually think of any way to really mitigate that.

That's a good point. Do you think limiting who you can reinforce by score range similar to declare ranges would be enough to prevent something like that? And when I said ally, perhaps I should have specified I meant within the same alliance. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bopolo said:

That's a good point. Do you think limiting who you can reinforce by score range similar to declare ranges would be enough to prevent something like that?

Maybe. If I've read your proposal correctly, you could still organize daisy chains of military aid. (A 30 city nation gives 20% of its military to 25 city nation, which gives 20% of its military to a 20 city nation, etc.) However, if you found a way to stamp out all of the possible ways for friendly nations with significantly different city counts to send each other military units, you'd probably also make the proposal strategically useless. Countering an enemy nation or alliance with 100% of my military is almost always going to be more helpful for my friend than sending him 20% of my military.

20 minutes ago, Bopolo said:

And when I said ally, perhaps I should have specified I meant within the same alliance. 

Tiny nations would ghost a larger alliance to solve that problem. In-game alliance affiliation doesn't dictate de facto alliance membership and, even if it did, this would discourage people from forming small alliances. A coalition made of one 100-nation AA would be more effective than a coalition made of four 25-nation AAs.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Senatorius said:

As a Grumpy member we would absolutely pinky swear never to abuse this mechanic at any time! Immediate implementation should occur with no thought or balance needed Alex.

Well, I'm convinced

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could potentially just cap the aid in two ways;

Firstly, by not allowing any single aid package to be larger than 15, maybe 20% of the maximum capacity of what the nation can actually hold;

Secondly, by not allowing aid packages to push a nation above 100% of their military capacity.

So if a 10 city nation was down to 600 jets, but had three generous benefactors- those individual benefactors wouldn't be able to send more than 135 jets each, and the third sender would only be able to send 30, if they chose to send at that moment at all.

You would almost certainly need to combine it with a cap on the number of times you could either send or receive re-enforcements per day (probably once for both combined), or it becomes very broken.

  • Upvote 2

Le1AjCa.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Avakael said:

Secondly, by not allowing aid packages to push a nation above 100% of their military capacity.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:06 PM, Bopolo said:

The nation housing the reinforcements cannot house reinforcements greater than what their own Military improvements can sustain. (If you have 22000/25000 tanks, you can house a total of 3000 tanks in reinforcements)

So we add Balance tweak #2 from original post so that you can't supercharge a 15 city nation with 3k planes, this sounds good to me. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, Edward I said:

Tiny nations would ghost a larger alliance to solve that problem. In-game alliance affiliation doesn't dictate de facto alliance membership and, even if it did, this would discourage people from forming small alliances. A coalition made of one 100-nation AA would be more effective than a coalition made of four 25-nation AAs.

This is an excellent point. So perhaps instead of simply having in-alliance reinforcements, in order to make it easier to code for Alex, the mechanic lets you reinforce any other nation regardless of affiliation, provided that the aforementioned conditions are met:

  1. The nation that is reinforced cannot have military exceeding their military improvement cap (a 23 city nation cannot exceed 2070 planes (90*23) for instance)
  2. A nation cannot receive more than 3 reinforcements per day
  3. Nations being reinforced must be within your declare range/spy range (some range, can be determine at a later date)
  4. You may only send out 20% of your current military as reinforcements

What about the first balance tweak I mentioned where the nation that is reinforced must supply gas/muns/food to the units they are reinforced with, this is super tiny, but code wise it would just require reinforcements being added to the defending nations unit count. 

 

With all of these adjustments and limitations I feel like abuse of the mechanic is severely limited, if even possible. The double-edged sword of giving up part of your own army to defend another nation is made worth it because war slots exist, for instance if I'm 3/3 defensive slots and 5/5 offensive but I've zeroed my enemies military in all wars, then I can still back somebody up, however I risk having all my wars flip in doing so. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, Edward I said:

Countering an enemy nation or alliance with 100% of my military is almost always going to be more helpful for my friend than sending him 20% of my military.

While this is true, defensive slots exist, and maybe the attacker has all 3 defensive slots filled. In that case the only way for you to help your buddy would be

  1. Spying the enemy's army which is not always effective 
  2. Or you reinforce the person who you would counter for if slots were available

 

I think the potential of this mechanic is very real, and I thoroughly appreciate the criticisms so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, ShadyAssassin said:

You must not be able to send reinforcements if you receive reinforcements.  

I mean, sure, but if you're receiving reinforcements you're not really in a position to send them are you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, Bopolo said:

I have an idea to share with you all with the hope of getting your input, and hopefully having the mechanic eventually implemented into PnW. In this post, I will outline how the mechanic will work, its intended purpose, implementation into the game, limitations and balances, and why I think it would benefit PnW.

How does it work?

 You can reinforce an allied nation with military units directly from your own army. These reinforcements are exclusively for defensive purposes, and may not be used offensively. 

An example of its use: Say someone is getting countered, I send them 400 of my own planes to help protect their nation. Now their army has an extra 300 planes when they are defending against an attacker. 
 

What's the purpose of this mechanic?

It encourages camaraderie, promotes strategic thinking because the trade-off of sending reinforcements is you are weakening your own army. It's a balancing act. 
 

How can Alex add this to PnW?

Initially, I thought the addition of a new project called The Embassy would be a neat way to add Reinforcements to the game. However, given the recent addition of 2 new projects, perhaps adding another would be a deal breaker for nations with lower cities and infra. Perhaps simply having "reinforcement slots" on a nation with a maximum of 3 would be a better implementation. 

How is this balanced?!?!?

Through few simple rules, reinforcements can be a strategic double-edged sword and not some overpowered game-breaking mechanic. 

  1. Nations can receive 3 waves of reinforcements at most
  2. Only 1/5 of a nations army may be sent out as reinforcements.
  3. Reinforcements cannot be pulled for 1 day after sending them. During this time, they can all die. 

Additional potential balancing rules:

  1. The nation housing the reinforcements must supply them with food/gas/munitions.
  2. The nation housing the reinforcements cannot house reinforcements greater than what their own Military improvements can sustain. (If you have 22000/25000 tanks, you can house a total of 3000 tanks in reinforcements)

Why does the game need this? It's perfect the way it is!

Don't get me wrong, PnW is fun, but the best part of the game for me is the coordinating with allies, and Reinforcements would add more of that to the game. 

 

 

If you have any suggestions on tweaks, or any concerns with my idea, please feel free to lmk, I'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

your pretty much asking for international volunteer units

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bopolo said:

I mean, sure, but if you're receiving reinforcements you're not really in a position to send them are you?

In most cases, yes
But take this case:
An alliance of 5 members with their scores being 5000,4000,3000,2000 and 1000 respectively
IF we add score ranges, 5000 can send to 4000, 4000 to 3000, 3000 to 2000 and 2000 to 1000

In this scenario, the 5K guy transfers to 4K who transfers it to 3K to 2K and to 1K

Moreover, since the 3K guy can send reinforcements to 5K guy cause upper limit will ofc be higher, the 5K guy sends to 4K who sends to 3K who sends to 5K thus using one army for an entire attack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the Guidelines of the game and community.