Anime Crew [we talk anime here] >come inside<

Makers Mark

Plenty of streaming anime sites out there... though I do buy my favorites when I can, anime is expensive.

z62.jpg

sora isnt from an anime

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Is there any "must watch" anime? I've seen Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ghost in the Shell. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there in that vein that's considered good?

• Upvote 1

Is there any "must watch" anime? I've seen Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ghost in the Shell. I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there in that vein that's considered good?

For "must watch" you say? I suppose Psycho-Pass could be a mediocre suggestion simply due to its popularity.

Edited by Hooves

For "must watch" you say? I suppose Psycho-Pass could be a mediocre suggestion simply due to its popularity.

That actually looks pretty interesting, I'll give it a watch. Thanks for the recommendation. 

My suggestion is Scrapped Princess for people, though if you want to buy it, it's not licensed anymore so there's that problem...

• Upvote 1

nHvbDzt.png

Art by Faroreswind159

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, try Samarai Champloo. Its by the same director, and is the story of three people, a Ronin, a vagabond/swordfighter, and a young girl traveling through Edo Period Japan and getting in wacky, anachronistic, and funny adventures. 

Death Note is a famous and excellent anime about a mysterious notebook that can kill people if one writes their name in it. It is found by a young Japanese genius named Light Yagami, who starts killing off the world's criminals until the police led by a mysterious man named L begins investigating him, leading to this complex, exciting cat and mouse game. 

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a terrific adventure anime. Basically its a world where alchemists can basically do magic and transmute objects and such, and it has a very good story and cast. 

Steins;Gate is usually in contention for one of the best animes of all time. Its a time travel story where a guy who likes to pretend to be a mad scientist and his friends accidentally discover a way to send messages to the past, and alter the past. Its &#33;@#&#036;ing amazing. The first couple episodes are a bit slow and confusing, but man it gets &#33;@#&#036;ing amazing. 

Those are just about the best/must see animes imo.

Some others that I've enjoyed:

Eden of the East - a political thriller about a guy who wakes up with amnesia and is naked, with a gun and a cell phone in front of the White House. He discovers the cell phone has lots of money on it and has a worker on the other end who can fulfill any request, and he finds out he might be a terrorist who launched missiles on Japan. The first episode is set in DC, rest in Japan, and can confirm they got a lot of the detail of the city right.

A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun - Raildex are two series set in a world where magic/religion and espers both exist. The story is set in Academy City, a city in Japan that is the center of espers and training. The protagonist of Index, Touma, actually isn't an esper, but rather has a power in his right hand that nullifies both esper and magical powers. Soon he's embroiled in a shadow war between magic and science. Railgun is set from the perspective of tsundre extraordinaire Mikoto Misaka who is a Level 5 esper (read super powerful) who controls electricity and is nicknamed the Railgun (she can shoot objects like a railgun, its awesome). Railgun is better.

And one final one that I enjoy is the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, a super polarizing show that a lot of people hate and a lot of people are fanatical about. Basically its a sci-fi slice of life high school anime about an obnoxious, overly energetic, pushy girl who may or may not (and she is unaware of this) be the god of the world and have power to make her wish reality. Lot of people find her insufferable, myself included. She's better in small doses. Why do I like the show/recommend it? The show is set up for my favorite anime movie of all time, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its amazing, and focuses a spotlight on the other characters, mainly the protagonist/narrator Kyon who is voiced by Crispin Freeman in the dub and does a great job. If you watch the first couple episodes of the show and find it interesting but find Haruhi grating, most of the show is filler and can be skipped. There are like, 5 or 6 episodes that are essential for the movie. 

• Upvote 3

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, try Samarai Champloo. Its by the same director, and is the story of three people, a Ronin, a vagabond/swordfighter, and a young girl traveling through Edo Period Japan and getting in wacky, anachronistic, and funny adventures. 

Death Note is a famous and excellent anime about a mysterious notebook that can kill people if one writes their name in it. It is found by a young Japanese genius named Light Yagami, who starts killing off the world's criminals until the police led by a mysterious man named L begins investigating him, leading to this complex, exciting cat and mouse game. 

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a terrific adventure anime. Basically its a world where alchemists can basically do magic and transmute objects and such, and it has a very good story and cast. 

Steins;Gate is usually in contention for one of the best animes of all time. Its a time travel story where a guy who likes to pretend to be a mad scientist and his friends accidentally discover a way to send messages to the past, and alter the past. Its !@#$ amazing. The first couple episodes are a bit slow and confusing, but man it gets !@#$ amazing. 

Those are just about the best/must see animes imo.

Some others that I've enjoyed:

Eden of the East - a political thriller about a guy who wakes up with amnesia and is naked, with a gun and a cell phone in front of the White House. He discovers the cell phone has lots of money on it and has a worker on the other end who can fulfill any request, and he finds out he might be a terrorist who launched missiles on Japan. The first episode is set in DC, rest in Japan, and can confirm they got a lot of the detail of the city right.

A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun - Raildex are two series set in a world where magic/religion and espers both exist. The story is set in Academy City, a city in Japan that is the center of espers and training. The protagonist of Index, Touma, actually isn't an esper, but rather has a power in his right hand that nullifies both esper and magical powers. Soon he's embroiled in a shadow war between magic and science. Railgun is set from the perspective of tsundre extraordinaire Mikoto Misaka who is a Level 5 esper (read super powerful) who controls electricity and is nicknamed the Railgun (she can shoot objects like a railgun, its awesome). Railgun is better.

And one final one that I enjoy is the The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, a super polarizing show that a lot of people hate and a lot of people are fanatical about. Basically its a sci-fi slice of life high school anime about an obnoxious, overly energetic, pushy girl who may or may not (and she is unaware of this) be the god of the world and have power to make her wish reality. Lot of people find her insufferable, myself included. She's better in small doses. Why do I like the show/recommend it? The show is set up for my favorite anime movie of all time, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Its amazing, and focuses a spotlight on the other characters, mainly the protagonist/narrator Kyon who is voiced by Crispin Freeman in the dub and does a great job. If you watch the first couple episodes of the show and find it interesting but find Haruhi grating, most of the show is filler and can be skipped. There are like, 5 or 6 episodes that are essential for the movie. 

ive heard alot about steins;gate and im probably going to start waching it.

Edited by Makers Mark

t4Co5PG.jpg

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Best anime I've ever seen.

IgdFjsG.png

Umineko no Naku Koro ni: Skip the shit anime adaptation, the visual novel is a masterpiece.

k9j2SRa.png

Soul Eater: Best action/comedy anime I've seen.

U3c8L2P.png

Mirai Nikki: YUKI!!

WBWUFeY.png

Elfen Lied: This was just... a gem.

• Upvote 1
inbxIlp.png

Got some great recommendations already.  I'll toss Black Lagoon, Gungrave and Serial Experiments Lain out there as well.

• Like 1

There are no men like me, there is only me

There have been a lot of good suggestions, but I'll try a couple.

Mushishi is about a guy who goes around curing people of aliments caused by invisible creatures. It is frequently beautiful and often moving. It is also the best done episodic storytelling that I've seen.

If you end up liking Serial Experiments Lain, you should also try Paranoia Agent. It is very weird and enjoyable.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is not to everyone's tastes, but I enjoy rewatching a lot. I also always pair it with FLCL, which is an excellent anime on its own, but the perfect palate cleanser after NGE.

If you want to try some comedy, Gurren Lagann is good for an action vibe, Azumanga Daioh and Nichijou are good if you enjoy nonsense. Ouran High School Host Club is a solid choice for romance comedy.

If you don't mind a magical girl anime, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is really good.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team is a really good Gundam OAV, but Gundam can be a whole other can of worms.

• Upvote 1

Easy question: where do you usually watch these things for free?

Theres an app called I.ani.me that you can download on a phone, tablet or any device that has an app store, just type ianime and it will pop up. You dont have to sign up for it and it is free. This site has animes listed twice one subbed and the other dubbed. For example the list will appear like this.

Bleach (subbed)

Bleach (dubbed)

Pretty simple.

Then theres http://justdubsonline.net/anime-list but its all dubbed

Amidst the eternal waves of time From a ripple of change shall the storm rise Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon Behold the razgriz, its wings of black sheath The demon soars through dark skies Fear and death trail its shadow beneath Until men united weild a hallowed sabre In final reckoning, the beast is slain As the demon sleeps, man turns on man His own blood and madness soon cover the earth From the depths of despair awaken the razgriz Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

Its great. If you are iffy on it, give it til the 8th episode. If you ain't hooked then, I don't know what to tell you. 

Steins Gate is certainly a great piece. However I disagree with this analysis of waiting till the 8th Ep. In my opinion the best episodes are the earliest. The later episodes suffer from what I would like to describe as packaged material. In other words you see the ending of the episode in the beginning. The adventure is over and it feels poorly delivered. 

6oiRRnl.jpg

I quit playing for myself long ago, I play for another.

Steins Gate is certainly a great piece. However I disagree with this analysis of waiting till the 8th Ep. In my opinion the best episodes are the earliest. The later episodes suffer from what I would like to describe as packaged material. In other words you see the ending of the episode in the beginning. The adventure is over and it feels poorly delivered. 

Nope, the symmetry of the storyline is amazing and the part that makes the show amazing.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Greatnate

Nope, the symmetry of the storyline is amazing and the part that makes the show amazing.

Edit: Spelling

If you like obvious endings and monotonous story telling you might like it.  

6oiRRnl.jpg

I quit playing for myself long ago, I play for another.

If you like obvious endings and monotonous story telling you might like it.  

Have to say I think you are in the small minority here, like those who claim The Dark Knight is really terrible.  You aren't going to find many to agree with you I'm afraid. :P

There are no men like me, there is only me

More obscure is the topic of anime criticism, of which there are written several books. The one I've read is Otaku: Japan's Database Animals, which was recommended by ATimes. It's interesting because it's a reference to second-hand Kojeve and the animal vs aristocrat concept as a basis for civilization.

http://www.amazon.com/Otaku-Japans-Database-Hiroki-Azuma/dp/0816653526

As to a text that works on the anime itself, as well as something written by an English speaker, there is Susan Napier, a professor of Japanese studies at Tufts', whose book "Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle" is well-considered and an application of literary theory to anime at large.

http://www.amazon.com/Anime-Akira-Howls-Moving-Castle/dp/1403970521

I think I'll probably pick up the second book now. :)

Theres an app called I.ani.me that you can download on a phone, tablet or any device that has an app store, just type ianime and it will pop up. You dont have to sign up for it and it is free. This site has animes listed twice one subbed and the other dubbed. For example the list will appear like this.

Bleach (subbed)

Bleach (dubbed)

Pretty simple.

Then theres http://justdubsonline.net/anime-list but its all dubbed

god daimn bleach is such a bad &#33;@#&#036;ing show lol

a050.gif

I prefer her real self, yandere should be up front with their crazy. :)

mirai nikki was a good show altho i couldnt take it seriously twoards teh end because of how quickley yuki becomes a bad ass.

Its great. If you are iffy on it, give it til the 8th episode. If you ain't hooked then, I don't know what to tell you. 

starting it tonite :D