How effective have embargoes been?

Alex

• Administrators

It's been some time since we've had the ability to embargo nations and alliances. I'm curious how the experience has been for everyone.

Have embargoes been effective? Have you been embargoed? Did it make it harder/more expensive to acquire resources? 

Basically just give me some feedback about the system. This isn't about me making changes or repealing it or anything, I'm just curious to see how well it has worked.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

To be honest, useless. It's simply a light pressure tool. For embargoes to have any sort of real effect it would have to be wide-scale use for anything political or economic warfare.

About the only thing I find they're good for currently is to block an alliance you're at war with.

• Upvote 3

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

• Administrators

To be honest, useless. It's simply a light pressure tool. For embargoes to have any sort of real effect it would have to be wide-scale use for anything political or economic warfare.

About the only thing I find they're good for currently is to block an alliance you're at war with.

I was wondering if I was going to hear something along these lines. This makes me think that having a Rainbow Council or Color Senate with some powers over restricting trade based on color might actually provide some utility and add to the game.

I'm very glad that embargo reminds me who not to buy from or sell to, but I can't say if it's changed the recipient's behavior.

This is good to hear, and makes sense. that from a personal standpoint it can be useful.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I'd like to believe it is at very least an inconvenience to pay 50 more ppu for something when the highest bidder has embargoed you. It seems though I'd have to agree with the general consensus that this is most effective as a way to send a message and be a preface to further action.

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

Me thinks it has little direct influence besides as a political tool unless it is widely coordinated with other alliances. Some political developments would need to take place for it to be used on such a large scale, but that'd be interesting if it came about anyways.

On Color Senate: Maybe have the three largest alliances on a color have a vote that influences their color in some way related to economics, with later increasing that number as the game size increases.

Or have the votes within the colors be based on some other statistic besides overall strength, idk. Maybe total member count on a particular color in the same color alliance versus the same for the other same colored alliances. You'd have a majority vote if you basically controlled the whole color, but it'd be interesting either way.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

I was wondering if I was going to hear something along these lines. This makes me think that having a Rainbow Council or Color Senate with some powers over restricting trade based on color might actually provide some utility and add to the game.

But isn't that how embargoes generally work, they only have effect if the nation in question already has a strong trade relationship with the nation enforcing the embargo. How I see if, embargoing an alliance or nation is so you don't mistakenly buy or sell stuff to them over the market, so you don't help them, rather than actually trying to do them harm.

To be honest the idea that the biggest nations in the game or each color can prevent someone from trading on a certain color or even worse trading full stop, it seems like it gives too much power to alliances - you'd basically have a big alliance on each color with their top tier nations as Senators with total control over who trades and who doesn't, smashing down embargoes on whoever they deem.

It would be better kept at a national level.

Democratic Republic of Koprivshtitsa (DRK; Bulgarian: Demokraticheska republika Koprivshtitsa)

Communist Party of Koprivshtitsa (CPK; Komunisticheska partiya na Koprivshtitsa (KPK))

Member-state of the Green Protection Agency

~Peace and Fraternity Between All Nations~

Embargoes are more of a political statement as said before. They can cause economic inconvenience in rare instances where the one embargoeing you is an active market user and either buys a lot of stuff daily or sells a lot of stuff for cheaper.

• Upvote 1

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

But isn't that how embargoes generally work, they only have effect if the nation in question already has a strong trade relationship with the nation enforcing the embargo. How I see if, embargoing an alliance or nation is so you don't mistakenly buy or sell stuff to them over the market, so you don't help them, rather than actually trying to do them harm.

To be honest the idea that the biggest nations in the game or each color can prevent someone from trading on a certain color or even worse trading full stop, it seems like it gives too much power to alliances - you'd basically have a big alliance on each color with their top tier nations as Senators with total control over who trades and who doesn't, smashing down embargoes on whoever they deem.

It would be better kept at a national level.

i agree with your first paragraph

especially when, for the most part, it is much more useful to embargo with navies, which then supercedes the usefulness of the other embargoes

Until a wide scale war happens where coordinated embargoes happen, they won't have much effect. Just like in real life really.

Well said! 

8742143.png?170

Concilium Populusque Mandalórus ("The Council and the People of Mandalore")

: Carter and me have nukes, and Saxplayer is just sassy

As someone else already mentioned, embargoes are mostly a political statement. As an aside, I would be against any form of rainbow council or something that would give a small number of people an excessive amount of power over practically everyone, even if they're elected to have that power.

greene.png

Formerly known as Grealind of Resvernas (28 October 2014-29 August 2017) and Greene of Japan (29 August 2017-28 Septmber 2017)

7th Caretaker of Duat, the Deity Thoth

Embargoes do exactly what they are supposed to do. They allow a nation to place global offers without accidentally selling to/buying from someone they wish not to do business with.

As an individual act against an individual nation, it is unlikely to be noticed by the target, but I never thought it was intended that an individual embargo would have any kind of coercive effect.

• Upvote 1

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q