Future of Gasoline Worth?

Mikhail Gorbachev

Looking at the Price History, it seems obvious that the war wayyy upped the price of gasoline, but I wasn't around back then, so I don't know for sure. Anyway, since then the price plummeted, but it appears to be rebounding. Do you guys think it will rebound, or will it go back down to original (very low) prices?

And if you are a member of a major alliance, feel free to start a war. ;)

xpX8tXM.jpg

Gasoline definitely had it's price spike, and has since come down, but it's held steady at about twice the level it was before the war. I don't imagine it'll drop a whole lot lower now that people really appreciate the value of it during wartime.

Its price will fall but not as low as it was before this war because, as the above poster mentioned, people now realize its importance. This also means, people, those who can, will begin to produce it in their own nations.

Blood of a king. Heart of a lion.

Resources pre-war were being sold at prices that were below cost. The real cost to produce is something that a lot of nations never quite calculated and that lead to unsustainably low price selling combined with low demand.

I'm sure we won't see those again, although munitions is oversupplied right now, lol.

And if you are a member of a the only bloc in this game, feel free to start a war....again. :P

Edited by Placentica

Resources pre-war were being sold at prices that were below cost. The real cost to produce is something that a lot of nations never quite calculated and that lead to unsustainably low price selling combined with low demand.

I'm sure we won't see those again, although munitions is oversupplied right now, lol.

And if you are a member of a the only bloc in this game, feel free to start a war....again. :P

Yes, after calculating the cost to produce various things, I was baffled to see the corresponding prices on the market.  Even now it's somewhat baffling.

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

Yes, after calculating the cost to produce various things, I was baffled to see the corresponding prices on the market.  Even now it's somewhat baffling.

Well, perhaps someone could share these calculations with others in-game? If the data was written up we could post it in the "Market Trends" forum or I could incorporate it into my daily report. Perhaps that would encourage nations to be more judicious about how much they undercut on the market? I'd be happy to do the calculations myself, but if one of you already has written it up...

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."
     - Emperor Haile Selassie I

The Republic

The Republic Map

Well, perhaps someone could share these calculations with others in-game? If the data was written up we could post it in the "Market Trends" forum or I could incorporate it into my daily report. Perhaps that would encourage nations to be more judicious about how much they undercut on the market? I'd be happy to do the calculations myself, but if one of you already has written it up...

The calculations I'm referring to and other calculations I've done that inform my strategy are worth one million dollars (in game, obviously) to me.  If you have that kind of money lying around I'd be more than happy to forward you my spreadsheets.

• Upvote 1

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc

The calculations I'm referring to and other calculations I've done that inform my strategy are worth one million dollars (in game, obviously) to me.  If you have that kind of money lying around I'd be more than happy to forward you my spreadsheets.

Haha I was asking upon the assumption that if users were informed of the cost of producing resources, that maybe they'd be less likely to undercut and depress market values to below their production costs. However, if you do not foresee that being the outcome of a public distribution of those statistics, I understand your lack of want to share those stats:)

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."
     - Emperor Haile Selassie I

The Republic

The Republic Map

Well, perhaps someone could share these calculations with others in-game? If the data was written up we could post it in the "Market Trends" forum or I could incorporate it into my daily report.

Hahah... this is the kind of supposedly-public-knowledge information that can actually be dangerous to the market if posted publicly

Just go and check out the daily upkeep of all mines and refineries and add them up

• Upvote 1
UedhRvY.png

That is not the outcome I foresee, no.

I agree you should keep that spread sheet to your self no need to make all that hard work go for nothing

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

Haha I was asking upon the assumption that if users were informed of the cost of producing resources, that maybe they'd be less likely to undercut and depress market values to below their production costs. However, if you do not foresee that being the outcome of a public distribution of those statistics, I understand your lack of want to share those stats:)

More like if people realize how badly they're pricing certain resources I won't be able to buy them for a steal... or sell for a fortune, depending on the resource.  :P

• Upvote 1

I never saw below cost transactions, but maybe I was calculating transaction cost differently than you. The world may never know.

The first month a few resources were commonly selling at cost. Often, people would undercut that :)

It's easy to calculate the cost of production if you don't factor in power or initial cost.

The first month a few resources were commonly selling at cost. Often, people would undercut that :)

It's easy to calculate the cost of production if you don't factor in power or initial cost.

I guess I never factored in power, but when pricing inputs at market rate everything has stayed well above production cost.

Power is easy to factor in.  Initial cost is not as easy because you don't know how long the building will stand for.

Duke of House Greyjoy

I'm baffled as to how your country is so big, even though you only started a few days before me. I guess I better put some work into this and try to do the calculations myself...

I have to echo terminus467.  I made a hefty sum finding people that sold below cost.  To such a degree that I even sold stuff below cost as well since it was stunting my nation's growth.  Undercutting always will happen and if someone wants to undercut someone below cost, that is their fault.

But this time of cheap goods will not last long and when it's gone, it's gone forever.  One exception being temporarily after a war when it re-emerges for a time.  Long-term demand will trend upward faster than supply.

In the future I imagine we'll have "resource deals" similar to "tech deals" in that other game.  There is a spot where a young nation will benefit from selling goods that a larger nation cannot produce economically since the pollution costs of a refinery or mine outweigh the benefits but a smaller nation wouldn't have these limitations.

• Upvote 1