Education?

Athanasios

Considering the possibility of adding new options to the "civil" building category... Would universities/schools/etc. be an option? They could provide better educated, well trained citizens who could then "transfer into the working force" and bring greater wealth to their nation. For instance, the universities would undoubtedly require some significant upkeep (paying teachers, providing state scholarships, etc.) but then they could boost the overall revenue of your nation (or just the city they're built in) by a few percentage points? Similar to commerce, but an extra option to increasing the wealth of your nation. Would add more "realism" as education is a pretty important duty of the modern nation state.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments on how public education could be added into the game?

Edited by Athanasios

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."
     - Emperor Haile Selassie I

The Republic

The Republic Map

Does anyone even use civil?

Well, something like this could also be used to give a greater incentive for smaller nations to use civil.

"We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."

The Republic

The Republic Map

Does anyone even use civil?

Civil Improvements are very valuable later-game. Police stations and hospitals can greatly increase your income, while the pollution improvements are the only way to decrease pollution, and the subway even provides a commerce boost. That said, they are quite expensive, and don't really pay for themselves until your cities have a lot of infra.

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.

education.. so it's a rating that can be improved by the purchase of improvements, that will in turn increase out revenue? We kinda have commerce for that.

Need better explanation

how about instead of increasing income it increases the amount of resources you can produce slightly that way we can have both income bonus and resources bonus from civil

• Upvote 1

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

how about instead of increasing income it increases the amount of resources you can produce slightly that way we can have both income bonus and resources bonus from civil

Thats not a bad idea, but if I remember correctly, some of the nation perks Sheepy is planning to implement would do much the same thing, without a whole new mechanic. 

"They say the secret to success is being at the right place at the right time. But since you never know when the right time is going to be, I figure the trick is to find the right place and just hang around!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Kastor> He left and my !@#$ nation is !@#$ed up. And the Finance guy refuses to help. He just writes his !@#$ plays.

<Kastor> And laughs and shit.

<Kastor> And gives out !@#$ huge loans to Arthur James, that !@#$ bastard.

I like the idea of the resource boost. The revenue rate was just the first thing off the top of my head, and I posted it here to get more suggestions. But Atzuya, you're right, my original suggestion would be redundant.

The Republic

The Republic Map

well how about this spies are smart right well at least not dumb anouf to shot them selves have it were it increase your ability to buy more spies in 1 day

also it makes since if we do use RL in here with education people doing better in the steel mill even if slightly or it could have a 2 way system were it gives both a bit of Commerce and resources increase but I do see were your coming from with the new perks that are coming

(^。^)y-.。o○ (-。-)y-゜゜゜ this is how i make my cloud

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag291/petgangster/efb30519-f381-4330-a62b-11db0d2a058b_zpscilyk2rj.png

• Administrators

I think the idea is a good one, but it needs to be more fleshed out. We don't need another income modifier, it's gonna have to do something else.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

I think the idea is a good one, but it needs to be more fleshed out. We don't need another income modifier, it's gonna have to do something else.

I agree, as said before the income modifier was just the first thing off the top of my head.

How would you feel about a resource modifier? More educated workers could find ways to improve efficiency, manage factories and mines, etc.

The Republic

The Republic Map

Education could be a requirement for certain projects.

Can't build nukes without at least some universities to train physics PhD's.

This is a great suggestion. However, we could expand it to be necessary to have a university for the construction of any National Projects. All those projects are pretty cool and as nations progress projects will allow for specialization of nations, and overall boosts. Having a college would be necessary to train citizens to build mass irrigation systems, nukes, etc. Perhaps you would need one university for every project you construct?

So maybe a blend. A few-percentage-point increase in resource production AND universities being a necessary prerequisite for National Projects?

The Republic

The Republic Map

What I think would be an interesting development is civil buildings that improve the collection of resource buildings, perhaps.  So the respective buildings could increase the production of each resource-related building by, say, 5%?

aUel2fG.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[10:47] you used to be the voice of irc