Rule interpretation

Shellhound

Recently the word Reich has been used and some people are against it, some are not. Personally I don't think words should be banned that have existed long before the Nazi's used it, the word reich refers simply means nation, there were 2 German reich's prior to the 3rd reich and both lasted far longer, the 1st one lasting for a few hundred years. Some point out that there is a similar issue with swastika's, iirc the nazi swastika is different from various other swastika's used throughout history. If someone uses the word reich as an in-game name as long as they're not using it in an obvious attempt to replicate the nazi's I really don't see an issue. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

uHQTKq6.png

i agree i mean the nazis did a lot of horrible things and there is a good reason to ban nazi views but to ban words that were used long before is going a little too far

[00:37:08] You guys are just my puppets

[00:37:13] I am the master pulling the strings

[00:37:15] * Sheepy laughs evilly

The NS didn't use it, they abused it. As emperor666 says, the words have been used for centuries by many large, noble empires. Same with the symbols, but also the companies that helped them (e.g. Hugo Boss - uniforms, Mercedes - cars, Porsche - tanks,...); those things will endure, as long as we don't use them the same way the NS used them it's ok. But yes, there are some idiots in here who think that regime was something funny...

Based on the same logic, I suppose you would have nothing against swastikas too then? Opens up a can of worms imo.

Edited by Saru

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

If "Reich" and "!@#$" and whatnot are "just words" and mean things like "empire" or "nation" or "leader", then you should be able to build your nation without needing to use terms or images that are heavily associated with the Nazis. Want to be a pre-Nazi German Empire? Okay, cool. Call yourself the German Empire (or Holy Roman Empire, or wtfever else you want) and title your leader Kaiser. If you refuse, and insist that it must be Reich and !@#$, then odds are good that you're not doing it out of any sort of innocent motives.

dUkp0bT.gif

Based on the same logic, I suppose you would have nothing against swastikas too then? Opens up a can of worms imo.

Once again, if people are closed minded and don't do their research on a topic, they will fall prey to fear and hate.  I'll agree that the swastika is, when the image is first used, brings to mind......Hitler's Germany, but as stated in this link, that symbol as been used for hundreds/thousands of years before.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika  So as with words, symbols are sometimes grouped into the same categories.....only seen for the image which most modern day people take them for, not for what they actually represent.

• Upvote 2

X4EfkAB.png

Once again, if people are closed minded and don't do their research on a topic, they will fall prey to fear and hate.  I'll agree that the swastika is, when the image is first used, brings to mind......Hitler's Germany, but as stated in this link, that symbol as been used for hundreds/thousands of years before.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika  So as with words, symbols are sometimes grouped into the same categories.....only seen for the image which most modern day people take them for, not for what they actually represent.

That was my point... The OP was referring to the phrase "The Reich" not being intrinsically hateful/offensive, but the swastika is the exact same thing, hence why I raised it. Most people agree given that because of the connotations it shouldn't be used, as those who insist on using it instead of the plethora of other possible signs, probably have some sort of offensive agenda.

200px-UPN.svg.png

Second in Command of UPN

This is not a debate that needs to continue to resurface every month.  The answer will remain the same.  We have cautioned players in the past that if they continue to argue Sheepy's ruling on this subject, threads will be locked and warns will be issued.  We are aware that terms and insignia relating to Hitler's Germany pre-date his time and use of them.  The general public associates these images, names, and references with that era, more than any other time, and the mass genocide and atrocities that took place during that time.  Due to that, it is not allowed in this game.  There is no point in attempting to e-lawyer any further or the course of action mentioned just now will be applied.  The word "Reich" is a much more vague and general term, in my personal opinion, which is why I left it open for Sheepy to rule on. 

ruvwf3L.png

"You can say anything you want cause I've heard it all before.

All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get."