The Death Penalty

Karl Marx

No, it's unconstitutional. The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. Nobody can argue that the death penalty isn't cruel, and in modern society it is clearly unusual, as well.

"It's hard to be a team player when you're omnipotent." - Q

No, it's unconstitutional. The Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishments. Nobody can argue that the death penalty isn't cruel, and in modern society it is clearly unusual, as well.

We executed people in the Revolutionary War.

And why is it unusual now? Because you say it is cruel? Yes.

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

And why is it unusual now? Because you say it is cruel? Yes.

Over the years, lots of countries have executed people in wars. They're still doing it in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Developed countries have moved past it. They didn't let the fact they did it in the past prevent them from deciding it had no place in today's world.

Unusual: Capital punishment is unusual now because most countries don't permit it and many of the few that do permit it don't use it.

Cruel: Standards of cruelty change. Hanging, drawing, and quartering used to be a popular public spectacle. Slavery used to be tolerated. Societies gradually become more civilized despite the best efforts of a few.

6hu5nt.jpg

Americans also relieved themselves in buckets and dumped them onto the street.

Also they didn't bathe.

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

Over the years, lots of countries have executed people in wars. They're still doing it in Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Developed countries have moved past it. They didn't let the fact they did it in the past prevent them from deciding it had no place in today's world.

Unusual: Capital punishment is unusual now because most countries don't permit it and many of the few that do permit it don't use it.

Cruel: Standards of cruelty change. Hanging, drawing, and quartering used to be a popular public spectacle. Slavery used to be tolerated. Societies gradually become more civilized despite the best efforts of a few.

My point

-------

You

Because of "cruel" accusations.

And they are always good!!!!111!1!1!!!1one!!11!!!1!1! 1930s in Germany had changes. The Klan almost got a foothold. Prohibition...

Underlordgc, I can see in 200 years people saying "Well, they did use the bathroom in 2014 instead of (insert futuristic shit now)"

Edited by WISD0MTREE

Underlordgc, I can see in 200 years people saying "Well, they did use the bathroom in 2014 instead of (insert futuristic !@#$ now)"

I'm saying that you can't use "We did it back then" as an excuse. America isn't a nation built on tradition because as a nation of immigrants we have none. We are a mixing pot of different cultures, religions, and values united through nationalism. Society, especially here, changes all the time. What was once thought of as normal and routine is seen as barbaric and inhumane as we progress.

Should we revoke women's right to vote because they weren't allowed to when the declaration was signed? Should we reinstate slavery because George Washington owned slaves? Should we ban immigrants from China again because we did it before? Should we throw all the Arab-Americans into internment camps because we did it to the Japanese in World War 2? Should we start conquering places as colonies again?

Because of "cruel" accusations.

And they are always good!!!!111!1!1!!!1one!!11!!!1!1! 1930s in Germany had changes. The Klan almost got a foothold. Prohibition...

What is that even supposed to mean? I have no clue what you are trying to say.

Edited by underlordgc

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

What is that even supposed to mean? I have no clue what you are trying to say.

He (Soloman) said that social attitudes change, which they do. He implied that it was always for the best. You know, because the social change in Germany in the 1930s was good. The Klan was an example of social attitudes going extreme. Prohibition was a social change. All of those social changes obviously worked out for the better. ;) (Hint: They didn't)

Capital Punishment:

A. The idea that murdering people will show other people that murdering people is wrong.

B. The systematic extermination of societies most violent criminals.

Edited by GloFish

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

He (Soloman) said that social attitudes change, which they do. He implied that it was always for the best. You know, because the social change in Germany in the 1930s was good. The Klan was an example of social attitudes going extreme. Prohibition was a social change. All of those social changes obviously worked out for the better. ;) (Hint: They didn't)

Wow, straight to Godwin!

I'll make it clearer. The governments of individual nations will permit and sometimes promote policies that are outdated and even barbaric but when you look at the wider trend, it's usually easy to see where the future lies.

A good example is giving women the right to vote. Some countries dragged their feet on the issue while others embraced it but it was obvious from the point at which New Zealand and then Finland granted them the right that the developed world was going do it. It was simply a matter of when. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't countries that still restrict women's electoral rights (e.g. Saudi Arabia) or that there are individuals that still believe it's a bad idea, only that the number resisting will dwindle over time.

6hu5nt.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just thinking of the death penalty gives me the shivers

Then again I'm not the most valiant person :P

8742143.png?170

Concilium Populusque Mandalórus ("The Council and the People of Mandalore")

: Carter and me have nukes, and Saxplayer is just sassy