What do you want to do when you grow up?

Sailor Jerry

I want to be the little mermaid.

Edit:I was just joshing

I want to study renewable resources.

Edited by Milord

PEOPLE BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU POST CAUSE IF YOU POST IN A NO COMMENT THREAD, YOU GET A WARNING POINT

CAUSE OTHER PEOPLE SEING ONE MORE POST THAN USUAL HURTS THEIR EYES.

You gotta live long so you can experience the sad joke that this world is.

"If I ever formed an alliance it would be called Grand Puberty Agency

And the text above would be like:"GPA just had a growth spurt"

My original objective in life was to become an Archaeologist. I studied Assyriology as I had a huge love for the Assyrian Empire historically and read up on the ruins of Ninevah.

It did not happen. Now at the age of 43 it is a bizarre time to reflect on what I have done up to now. My work history consists of: an INS(now ICE) Officer, a Pastor, a Vacuum & Sewing Retail Shop Owner, a Co-Coffee Shop Owner, a Security Guard, a Gas Station attendant, A Service Writer, a Proof Reader, a Script Writer, a Ghost Writer, a Soundboard Operator, a Roadie, a Butcher, a Pizza Dough Master, a Delivery Driver and a Cabbie.    

I am currently working on my Doctorate of Theology(focus on World Religions) so I can be one of those jerks most people disagree with on the History Channel programs.

Edited by Lo Pan
  • Upvote 6

My original objective in life was to become an Archaeologist. I studied Assyriology as I had a huge love for the Assyrian Empire historically and read up on the ruins of Ninevah.

It did not happen. Now at the age of 43 it is a bizarre time to reflect on what I have done up to now. My work history consists of: an INS(now ICE) Officer, a Pastor, a Vacuum & Sewing Retail Shop Owner, a Co-Coffee Shop Owner, a Security Guard, a Gas Station attendant, A Service Writer, a Proof Reader, a Script Writer, a Ghost Writer, a Soundboard Operator, a Roadie, a Butcher, a Pizza Dough Master, a Delivery Driver and a Cabbie.    

I am currently working on my Doctorate of Theology(focus on World Religions) so I can be one of those jerks most people disagree with on the History Channel programs.

So who did you script write for and who were you a roadie with?

X4EfkAB.png

When I was younger, I wanted to work in the gaming industry because of my love for video games- but I grew up. I just recently learned just how cut-throat that entire industry is, and I'm happy I changed my mind.

As it stands now, I want to be a lawyer. However, I also love reading, and I want to publish a fictional novel sometime (if I really worked at it, I could probably make a decent living being a writer). I was also strongly considering writing a visual novel, but I need to find a good artist and composer.

new_forum_sig_2.png

I mean, maybe you could be a writer, but I seriously doubt you could make a living purely off being an author. Unless you have a sum of money where you can get good ground to start off as a writer.

If you want to write books, you'll probably have to work another job and write in your spare time.

This is very small

I mean, maybe you could be a writer, but I seriously doubt you could make a living purely off being an author. Unless you have a sum of money where you can get good ground to start off as a writer.

If you want to write books, you'll probably have to work another job and write in your spare time.

I'm sure this is over-simplifying it, but assuming I publish something for $10, then have a small, reliable fanbase of about 10,000, then that's $100,000. After taxes and other expenses, I could probably make $50,000 a year. That would be more than enough for me to live comfortably while doing something I enjoy.

• Upvote 1

new_forum_sig_2.png

I screwed up and now I'm a chemical engineer working 80 hour weeks and shitposting on PaW in my freetime. Oh, and I mentioned that I was Elite Platinum on American Airlines, so I'm always the one they send to projects. I was detained by Canadian customs about a week ago on business.  :(

• Upvote 2

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

I'm sure this is over-simplifying it, but assuming I publish something for $10, then have a small, reliable fanbase of about 10,000, then that's $100,000. After taxes and other expenses, I could probably make $50,000 a year. That would be more than enough for me to live comfortably while doing something I enjoy.

What do you think,book publishers are infinitely rich? How do you think they make money!?

You don't make 100% of the money. You make royalties. As this would be your first book, you'd probably get a low percentage of the profits. At a mere 10 dollars, you'd probably only make about one to three dollars a book. Not only that, but you do have to pay for the services of a publisher.

Not having much of a name for yourself, having never published a book before, you wouldn't get a fanbase of 10,000. It's pretty unlikely that you'd even sell that many books. Of course, there's the super slim possibility it's a sudden hit and you get rich, but it's extreeeemely more likely that you'll end up not being very successful.

In the end, you may make at most a few hundred dollars after paying off debts to the publisher and banks and all.

This is very small

For what....saying American hockey is the best hockey?  Their beer sucks?  Or that Canada is our 51st state?

I didn't put that I was the third on my customs card even though it was on my passport, I put the wrong date on it, and my photo was about 6 years old. Apparently that is "suspicious." Maybe some kind of quota or something? I did say that Canada is like our 51st state while they were detaining me, though. 

So who did you script write for and who were you a roadie with?

I wrote a ton of scripts for video game companies, college kids which some got made into film(none were outstanding) and embarrassed myself several times to Sony Films, Miramax and Universal Studios lackeys who loved the words "it's good, but work on it". I did get a thumbs up and an interest from Scorsese just before 9/11 on a script based on the life of Dracula. I worked my ass of on this but due to the Islamic associations with the sacking of Constantinople throughout the storyline, he decided to let it go.

I roadied for several local bands and musicians all throughout the Los Angeles area, hitting up most of the infamous bars and houses from Hollywood to Santa Monica to Anaheim and even into San Bernardino. My brothers have been and still are studio musicians who have played with many musicians in the studio and sometimes on stage. My oldest brother toured with Kid Rock and I was able to Roadie for a part of the trek. Other than that I have set up house rig for Sting, Motley Crue and Joe Satriani. Motley Crue never paid me.

Edited by Lo Pan

Of course, there's the super slim possibility it's a sudden hit and you get rich, but it's extreeeemely more likely that you'll end up not being very successful.

In the end, you may make at most a few hundred dollars after paying off debts to the publisher and banks and all.

Even the successful do not get paid that much nowadays. It is a ridiculous career that you really have to love to stay in it and eat ramen packets for lunch while doing it.

• Upvote 1

Well my original goal was to stick with the Navy for the 20 some-odd-years, buttttt when I smooshed my foot under some 2-ton piece of machinery (Steel toed boot did absolutely nadda) I had to get medically discharged. Now I'm trying for my teaching degree. It doesn't pay great, but Meh.. What "Gov" job does. AmIright?

• Upvote 1

d0r0WcS.gif

Well my original goal was to stick with the Navy for the 20 some-odd-years, buttttt when I smooshed my foot under some 2-ton piece of machinery (Steel toed boot did absolutely nadda) I had to get medically discharged. Now I'm trying for my teaching degree. It doesn't pay great, but Meh.. What "Gov" job does. AmIright?

That sucks. Wouldn't you have had a pension after 20 years? 

Politics, I. Love. Politics.

We need a facepalm smiley or something. 

90% of the people who posted did not say what they wanted to do, but what they did. I enjoy reading your life stories.

I remember Sheepy had a poll once about age (among other things) and most of PaW was 20-29. 

That sucks. Wouldn't you have had a pension after 20 years? 

We need a facepalm smiley or something. 

Yes, I get a check ever so often for my injury, so it isn't all bad (It gets me a fat ass pizza every so often)

Yes he would have. However, with a military ending injury, he should be getting some sort of VA benefits.

and indeed good sir, fortunately due to the surgeon I had (a great one at that) my foot went from like 100% squished to like 5% squished, so woo. Unfortunately it wasn't enough to stay in, as foot injuries end careers (as I'm sure you know)

Edited by Mr Bigsby
  • Upvote 1

d0r0WcS.gif