Transhumanism - Bad or Good?

Quasar

We are rapidly approaching a future of technological implants and robotic limbs, no longer would people fear losing a limb as they can replace it with a limb of superior strength and quality.

We are not quite in the future where we can get robotic limbs (besides people that are disabled, there are some exceptions but it is not widely available,) but we have already seen various technological breakthroughs such as electronic tattoos and other such things.

Within our lifetimes it is very likely that we will see a future filled with trans-humanist cyborgs, and other people with augmentations.

I am interested in a few opinions, I would also like to hear more stuff that I don't mention.

If A.I becomes prevalent in society, should they have the same rights as humans? This creates an interesting dilemma because we advocate for equality in today's society and if artificial intelligence can speak and act like humans then would it be wrong to deny an A.I a job?

Would you personally get an augmentation? I personally do not want to tamper with my body in such ways, and I do not like it, but to each their own.

Do you think technology will be the downfall of humanity? 

Edited by Quasar

"what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

If science become too advance like say, Skynet (no, not you mod :I), we're !@#$ed.

If we kept it to a relatively moderate level then it's fine.

--------

Though I personally believe we're all gonna die before a techno rebellion can even start what's with how crappy the world is right now.

Edited by Talerong
  • Upvote 1

If they manage mind/machine interface I would go for an implant. Would be nifty to have a computer to do all the heavy maths and a brain to do the intuitive thinking. It would be just like now except I wouldn't have to keep getting my phone out to interface.

☾☆

Priest of Dio

just because the Nazis did something doesn't mean it's automatically wrong

Technology will not be the downfall of humanity. If anything, it will save us from killing the entire planet if we can get there. 

Artificial Intelligence is still a long way off from ever being conscious or remotely human. So as far as rights go, I don't even think that is a plausible discussion to be had when the reality is not foreseeable. For all we know it may not even be possible, but assuming it is, and assuming we can actually create an artificial consciousness, well, we don't exactly give equal rights to dogs, cats or deer and AC doesn't have to be as intelligent as a human, although it would be probably able to process information and learn far faster than any biological brain. I think the idea of creating AC in general is pointless. Why create a machine you can't control when you can just create one that you can control? It doesn't seem useful for anything except perhaps gaining someone a prize and some fame.

I would get an augmentation. Why not? YOLO.

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

If anything, it will save us from killing the entire planet if we can get there.  Artificial Intelligence is still a long way off from ever being conscious or remotely human. So as far as rights go, I don't even think that is a plausible discussion to be had when the reality is not foreseeable.

Funny thing, I actually read an article awhile back about a team working on an AI that was capable of self learning but the project got shelved and literally erased from existence, even the team members aren't allowed to mention it for some reasons.

Not sure if it's actually true but it could happen.

I just want a personal spaceship with faster than light travel.

• Upvote 1

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Because people are paranoid. AIs are all well and good, but the moment it decides it doesn't need us is the moment we all die.

maxresdefault.jpg

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Amusing how many people do not trust society due to human failures and mistrust, but we elect people who lie to us yet we still feel we can trust them with our lives.

I distrust marketing, not society. It's easy to get the two confused.

I just want a personal spaceship with faster than light travel.

FTL is unlikely to ever exist, but transhumanism can still let you visit other planets. It'll just be less like Star Trek and more like a silicon copy of you. So, I guess it's more like a snail-mail version of Star Trek's teleporter and less like a warp drive. Colonization will only happen through artificial reproduction, with human children being raised by Transhuman AI.

If it improves quality of life and helps me live longer I'm down.

Obviously hacking would be a real danger though.

People get hacked all the time. It's called marketing.