Unemployment Rate

Niccolo Machiavelli

i hope i'm posting in the right section of the forum, but i think an unemployment/poverty rate would be an interesting mechanic.  The idea behind it would be simple (though i'm not sure about its implementation).  Basically, based on a citiy's, and by extension, q nation's, total infrustructure and population as well as the number of slots filled or not filled, there would be a certain unemployed populace.  For example, if a city has 1500 infrastrucutre and a population of 150,000 people but there were five slots left unfilled, then thet ratio of the population in relation to city infrastruture would be unemployed (5 slots equals 250 infra which is 1/6th of 1500, aka 16.66 percent).  So in this case 16.6 percent of the population would be unemployed, equaling a total of 24990 unemployed.  The unemployed would not generate revenue for the nation because there's no incomme to tax, thus reducing the nation's net revenue.

Just an idea, curious to know what everyone thinks.

• Administrators

It would completely throw off everyone's incomes, and there would be a lot of complaining. :P

If you could somehow get past that, I think it would be a good idea.

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

What would happen if there would be more improvements than infrastructure slots? Would there be random improvements that just stop working or working at like half power? Or would they all be working the same but your population is all rich but exhausted from working multiple jobs?

Your right, people would most likely complain.  Although, most people use most if not all of their slots unless they're saving for something, so i don't think it would be an issue.  I think it would add a dimension of challenge in handling ecconomics.

So... as long as you keep all your improvement slots occupied, everyone is employed? Unless you have 4000 infra in a city I don't see how you could leave any improv slots unused, this is sorta moot imo. There's no point in leaving improvement slots unused and I'm sure everyone and their creepy uncles agree, pretty much no one's income will be changed

UedhRvY.png

What would happen if there would be more improvements than infrastructure slots? Would there be random improvements that just stop working or working at like half power? Or would they all be working the same but your population is all rich but exhausted from working multiple jobs?

I think in that case, there would just be 100 percent employment.

So... as long as you keep all your improvement slots occupied, everyone is employed? Unless you have 4000 infra in a city I don't see how you could leave any improv slots unused, this is sorta moot imo. There's no point in leaving improvement slots unused and I'm sure everyone and their creepy uncles agree, pretty much no one's income will be changed

Not neccessarily true.  If building more improvements would raise pollution levels too high, then it would be worse to leave the slots empty.  Furthermore, slots may be left emty if infrastructure was recently purchased and there isn't much money for expensive improvemnts.

I like the idea, I'd have 100% Employment rate, and anyone with that much infra where they have empty slots they can't use, well they needed to build a new city a long time ago... Also ya' know, it does bring on more fun, I mean doesn't really effect me but someone really lazy!

IDEA!

Your unemployment rate (If added) Effects your approval rating!! :D :D

banner.png

Original Founder of the Brotherhood of Steel

Indie Game Developer

To use later:

[im=http://i.imgur.com/NGFenqH.gif?1]

Hmm, this brings me to another idea for the game.  If your approval rating drops below 100% then maybe crime rates could be increased inversely proportional.  So with each point of approval rating lower than 100, your crime rates would all increase by an x amount.  Perhaps each point of approval below 100 would increase crime by 0.25% or something along those lines.

I edited this because i figured i should explain why crime would go up as approval ratings go down.  If the idea wasn't clear on my part, it is because in real world politics, discontent among the citizenry causes protests, riots and other anti government actions, ergo higher crimes rates.  Just wanted to be clear in case anyone thinks it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Zero

Would 100% commerce level completely eliminates unemployment in a city?

indonesia.jpg

King Bilal the Great Mediocre

The Average monarch of Billonesia

Wikia page (if you're into roleplay things).

We Tvtropes now. (down the rabbit hole!)

Your right, people would most likely complain.  Although, most people use most if not all of their slots unless they're saving for something, so i don't think it would be an issue.  I think it would add a dimension of challenge in handling ecconomics.

You have a limited amount of improvements. I'm not sure if it is the same for all continents, but Asia can only have 80 (not counting power plants). 

Edited by WISD0MTREE

NODOLsmall.png.a7aa9c0a05fa266425cd7e83d8ccb3dd.png

No, because commerce just means effective buisness, so you can have high unemployment, but still have a triving buisness sector.  Prime example is America, largest ecconomy in the world but high unemployment rates compared to some less commercial countries.

You have a limited amount of improvements. I'm not sure if it is the same for all continents, but Asia can only have 80 (not counting power plants). 

Yes, but that would be 4000 infrastructure, i doubt anyone would actually do that.  It would be far more efficient to build another city.