Resolved: Churches should be taxed!

Edward

No, funding for churches is going down the drain as it is. Many churches are already closing, merging, or trying to find something radically new to get a member base. What would you tax anyways? Donations?

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

No, funding for churches is going down the drain as it is. Many churches are already closing, merging, or trying to find something radically new to get a member base. What would you tax anyways? Donations?

The members get their income taxed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax#Germany

I'm still a bit confused, what exactly is the church tax? Is it an extra tax for the members of the church paid to the government? Does any money go back into the church?

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

its a historical compensation to the churches for taking their land during the secularization.

The church members get their income taxed and its fully distributed to the church they belong to. 

Churches have no legal rights to tax citizens, so think of it as a deal with the state.

Clearly we must stop the rampant free market capitalistic nature of religious places of worship. 

As such nationalise the Churches and ban foreign competitors such Mosques, Synagogues, Gurdwaras, so on. Rename churches to "Community Religious House" and their function to be houses of worship for all faiths so they get more people in them and get used more. Rename priests, imams, granthi, and such to "Head Religious Organizer" while at it to bring uniformity to the current structures. 

That will fix their current issues. 

Hell no churches shouldn't have to pay taxes.....as an ordained minister of the ULC, my Bentley was actually purchased under my church as a "work vehicle" to assist senior citizens and the disabled to and from services, therefore it's exempt from all that crap. Also the 5000sqft house I live in was also purchased under my church as a "fellowship hall". The church will also be adding a heated, indoor "baptizmal pool" to the "fellowship hall" next month......so no.....no taxes on churches!

• Upvote 3

X4EfkAB.png

I guess the OP is talking about how most churches can claim charitable status to avoid paying taxes on profits. On the one hand, some churches provide charitable services such as helping people with limited mobility or providing meals for people who have very little money. However, when a church disseminates misinformation and lies, does it lose the right to be considered as acting for the benefit of the community?

I think the most important question is why, if a church is acting charitably, would it be making a profit? If it's breaking even or running at a loss, its tax status is moot.

6hu5nt.jpg