colonies

Hereno

allow us to colonize small nations

we get several options...

1. attack them with small amounts of troops

2. give them smallpox

3. set up trading posts

4. industrialize

they would get the option of attacking us or cooperating with us or just leaving us alone

but we would be able to station troops there and could automatically have a % of their economy go to ours in addition to setting up cheap factories in their cities

it would encourage player cooperation and would additionally be fun

• Upvote 1

No for many reasons, the first being that genocide is not a game feature; it's a crime against humanity. Secondly, it's metagaming.

it is not mechanically any different than normal warfare except that it is more limited in scope. this game has nuclear weapons, i think we can handle colonists.

the idea is that alliances would colonize within themselves and have colonies be primarily mutually beneficial

colonies outside of alliances would be limited and no more threatening than spy attacks are now

besides, the majority of active people are safe

it is not mechanically any different than normal warfare except that it is more limited in scope. this game has nuclear weapons, i think we can handle colonists.

It is different, specifically in that it removes the ownership of part of someone's nation and awards it to another. For example, you do not roleplay, but if I attacked you, and colonized part of your nation, I could claim that I now have a permanent settlement in your lands, without your permission. It is metagaming for someone to alter the political or geographical makeup a nation either in RP or by mechanical means without consent.

Edited by Sindorin

sinsig.png

Grand Moff Hirohito of Dromund Kaas

that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard; it is impossible for game mechanics themselves to be "metagaming".

on ignore.

Good. Still doesn't mean that people, like myself, whose nation exists solely to roleplay on the forums, will feel metagamed against when some tin pot communist declares a colony in his nation.

sinsig.png

Grand Moff Hirohito of Dromund Kaas

Good. Still doesn't mean that people, like myself, whose nation exists solely to roleplay on the forums, will feel metagamed against when some tin pot communist declares a colony in his nation.

It's all fun and games until someone plays puppeteer with his nation. Again.

q8nfyvc.gif

That is nothing like a tech deal. At all. All this does is allowed bigger nations to crap all over little ones.

Be honest. This would be a lot less fun of an idea if I went over there and made your economy my work horse. There would be no feasible way for you to resist. None. I'd turn it into a polluted pile and harvest resources off you, and use them to roll the rest of your alliance. I get stronger, you guys slide down into a toxic death.

q8nfyvc.gif

That is nothing like a tech deal. At all. All this does is allowed bigger nations to crap all over little ones.

Be honest. This would be a lot less fun of an idea if I went over there and made your economy my work horse. There would be no feasible way for you to resist. None. I'd turn it into a polluted pile and harvest resources off you, and use them to roll the rest of your alliance. I get stronger, you guys slide down into a toxic death.

^^ pretty much what would happen.

How about this. "Colonization" has a little twist. First 8, the empire would be forced to pay all 8 the expenses. second, the total resource production of both manufactured and raw resources is added to the empire for only a week. However, the new nation is not being stolen from. For those confused, here's a bulletin

Expenses are paid for by empire

Resources are added to empire, but colony keeps It's base production

Empire must always have 10k of soldiers defendining nation

Colony must rebel to be "freed" by a single battle or a request.

Now, this is not how it happens in real life, but this has benefits for everyone and may Increase people staying while potentially adding politics and possibly war.

It's amazing someone would so gleefully call for what would equate to a destruction of P&W. It's hard enough finding new people that'll actually stick through with it and stay involved in the game. By making them even more attractive targets it'll only lead to much, much more inactivity. While this may be an interesting concept to possibly implement when (and more importantly if) the game witnesses a massive surge in active players (I'm talking 10's of thousands) but in its current state it'll do far more harm than it's worth. 

"The happiness of the people, and the peace of the empire, and the glory of the reign are linked with the fortune of the Army."

There's a few nations here I'd like to give AIDS too.

• Upvote 1

"In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto." - Bartholomew "Black Bart" Roberts

Green Enforcement Agency will rise again!

we already have a system in P&W where weaker nations are pumped with bank money in alliances to grow them faster. this could even allow nations to invest in other nations in a more direct sense, rather than the idea i had, wherein i envisioned that colonial settlements would be cities completely separate from those of the colonized nation.

wherein i envisioned that colonial settlements would be cities completely separate from those of the colonized nation.

This could work and leave a path upward and outward for the colonized as long as:

1) The colonized got something out of it during the occupation (passive income boost?)

2) The bar for the indigenous to "liberate" a colony were sufficiently low

3) Colonial cities scale in price with the number of cities/colonies the colonized nation contains

It opens up lots of opportunities for drama, as well: "Why are you colonizing members of our alliance?" "You stole my colony before I got my money's worth!"

If I understand your idea of colonies, it amounts to a city subsidy for the colonized at the cost of (temporarily?) not controlling that city. Or am I just projecting my own ideas into it?

Edited by elsuper

hxvRjGK.jpg

In theory I would support this if we had NPC nations that could be taken over, but not actual players. 

On second thought.... let's do this.

• Upvote 1

yVHTSLQ.png

(TEst lives on but I'm in BK stronk now and too lazy to change the image)

No, no, no. No colonizing of player nations. A thought would be to make another "Project" called "Colonization". Not sure what the requirements would be to get it, maybe something like having 10 cities or something. Is what this would allow you to do would be to build future cities on other continents, which would in turn allow you access to that continents native resoures......which is really what colonization is about anyway.

X4EfkAB.png

Honestly if the option to colonize was something that didn't affect another player made nation but a small territory that you make yourself, then it would be fine. Anything affecting another nation is a no. So if this was an option that could be like a project only affecting your nation, it is not a bad idea.