Privatization of the Police

Titus

This was a motion put forward at a debating competition I was at a few years ago. I was on the team against the motion, and no one was declared a winner. The motion in full: "The police should be privatized to provide the best service".

What are your views?

Edited by Titus

Hell no. If the police were privatized, victims of robbery, murder, assault, etc. would be the ones shouldering the burden of payment (which would be pretty hefty I'll bet). The victims are the ones who are already at a disadvantage. If you didn't pay your bill the police likely wouldn't help you the next time you need help. Imagine having to give out credit card information after you've been robbed. This is just a terrible idea.

kid-totally-gets-wiped-out-by-waves.gif

I think there is a conflict of interests when it comes to privatization and enforcement of the law.

x0H0NxD.jpg?1

01:05:55 <%fistofdoom> im out of wine

01:06:03 <%fistofdoom> i winsih i had port
01:06:39 <@JoshF{BoC}> fistofdoom: is the snowman drunk with you

01:07:32 <%fistofdoom> i knet i forgot somehnt

Privatizing the police sounds absolutely stupid on an infinite amount of levels.

Debate over.

• Upvote 1

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

This was a motion put forward at a debating competition I was at a few years ago. I was on the team against the motion, and no one was declared a winner. The motion in full: "The police should be privatized to provide the best service".

What are your views?

I would argue (although I am not a Constitutional law expert) that this would be in contravention of the constitution, and against the general welfare.

bwjfk.jpg

The Realm of Wyldwood

Member of the Brotherhood of the Clouds

Privatizing the police sounds absolutely stupid on an infinite amount of levels.

Debate over.

You put it best. All law enforcement are here to provide for the commonwealth of all individuals; wealthy, underprivileged, convicts, politicians, race though I'm sure race baiters would disagree, equality is the essence of law enforcement, not a paycheck. 

• Upvote 2

You put it best. All law enforcement are here to provide for the commonwealth of all individuals; wealthy, underprivileged, convicts, politicians, race though I'm sure race baiters would disagree, equality is the essence of law enforcement, not a paycheck. 

Not to mention that any police officer who complains about their paycheck needs to be punched.

"I wish the state would pay for my gas to drive around and ruin peoples days."

-Fox Fire

Fox_Fire_Txt2.png

<Jroc> I heard \ is an anagram of cocaine
<\> I can't be rearranged into a line, I already am a line.

--Foxburo Wiki--

Hell no. If the police were privatized, victims of robbery, murder, assault, etc. would be the ones shouldering the burden of payment (which would be pretty hefty I'll bet). The victims are the ones who are already at a disadvantage. If you didn't pay your bill the police likely wouldn't help you the next time you need help. Imagine having to give out credit card information after you've been robbed. This is just a terrible idea.

This^

What are your views?

Don't you have to decide what "the best service" means before you can answer the privatization part?

6hu5nt.jpg

What are your views?

Nope, no one outside of the most dystopian capitalistic societies want law enforcement or even firefighters that respond to economic conditions. This is the economic equivalent of letting wolves eat the people who can't run fast in modern society. 

firefighters that respond to economic conditions

This reminds me a lot of Crassus. He was a popularis in Rome who founded the first firefighters. Sounds great, right? Nope. The guy made a mockery of "public service". If your house was burning down and you could not pay the fee for the firefighters, it was left to burn. After, of course, he would buy the property for cheap, rebuild the property, and lease it. He got rich on what should have been a public service. I imagine only a similar fate for privatized law enforcement. In this model, who pays for the investigation? The guy who just robbed the bank and can offer more for the police not to investigate? What would they be more loyal to, money or society?

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

Nope, no one outside of the most dystopian capitalistic societies want law enforcement or even firefighters that respond to economic conditions. This is the economic equivalent of letting wolves eat the people who can't run fast in modern society. 

This reminds me a lot of Crassus. He was a popularis in Rome who founded the first firefighters. Sounds great, right? Nope. The guy made a mockery of "public service". If your house was burning down and you could not pay the fee for the firefighters, it was left to burn. After, of course, he would buy the property for cheap, rebuild the property, and lease it. He got rich on what should have been a public service. I imagine only a similar fate for privatized law enforcement. In this model, who pays for the investigation? The guy who just robbed the bank and can offer more for the police not to investigate? What would they be more loyal to, money or society?

These two things are why I'm so surprised that hospitals and healthcare in general aren't public services. They seem like such a perfect fit for public service.

Ok, I'm going to play devils advocate seeing as you are all against the motion.

First off we have to define what we mean when we call it privatized, yes naturally it will be run by a privately owned corporation, but rather than be directly paid for by the people, instead it is contracted by the government. In this way the police are paid for by everyone and therefore have a duty of care towards the public as a whole. This avoids the idea that they will only serve those that pay their bills.

Secondly by placing this service in private hands the companies will be more competitive as they are competing for various contracts and therefore will try to provide the best service possible. Different companies might also specialize in different area, so one company might be best at cyber crime and therefore would be contracted to every force to tackle it. Because they are private companies they would also be very aware that the public could force government to no longer contract them and would then be eager to void any bad press, such as incidents on racism or police brutality.

Thirdly when you look at the UK (I'm British so I can't think of any example for America) the coal mining industry and train service were all nationalized industry and services, they were privatized and made far more efficient, and although the coal mines closed due to them being uneconomical the train service has become vastly better, who's to say that this won't affect the police force?

So, what is meant by privatized is that the government contracts corporations who hire law enforcement? Maybe it is more apprehensiveness, but where would you even start with something like this?

Resident DJ @ Club Orbis

Founder of The Warehouse

So basically hiring Private Police Contractors/Companies? That is... interesting, but I fear that this can raise the upkeep of police forces since the gov has to play the PPC enough so the PPC can pay for ammunition, gear and pay their employees. Sacrificing money for preformance. But what if one PPC gets so big that they are the only ones being hired? That their competition can't compete at all without taking out huge loans? Stuff can go wrong indeed.

Edited by Pwnius Scrubius
  • Upvote 1

Secondly by placing this service in private hands the companies will be more competitive as they are competing for various contracts and therefore will try to provide the best service possible.

Nope. They won't provide the best service possible. They'll provide the cheapest service possible. Sure, maybe the individual cops do their job the best they can, but the companies will still want to make mega profits. I can very easily see a WalMart of crime prevention emerging.

I can't see this working based on the fact that the purpose of a police force is to serve the public by protecting property,enforce laws and limit civil disorder. That is to protect ALL properties, Enforce ALL laws and limit ALL civil disorder not those who are able to pay for the service. It just makes no sense in my mind.

I can't see this working based on the fact that the purpose of a police force is to serve the public by protecting property,enforce laws and limit civil disorder. That is to protect ALL properties, Enforce ALL laws and limit ALL civil disorder not those who are able to pay for the service. It just makes no sense in my mind.

The problem with privatizing the police is that they are not a government agency that can be held accountable for their actions. 

The enforcement of law, aside from external defense, is the most fundamental function of government. To outsource it is to abdicate not only the responsibility to govern, but the very essence of what the government is in a de facto sense. A private police force is a private government, in that it is executing the functions of governance.

Edited by elsuper
  • Upvote 2

hxvRjGK.jpg

The enforcement of law, aside from external defense, is the most fundamental function of goveExrnment. To outsource it is to abdicate not only the responsibility to govern, but the very essence of what the government is in a de facto sense. A private police force is a private government, in that it is executing the functions of governance.

elsuper is exactly right.