Headsets for my PC

Alex

• Administrators

Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I use my computer way, way too much and I've never really found an audio system I've loved. I typically just use a headset, but I never really find any headset that's super comfortable (some start hurting my ears after a few hours). I would also like something with really good audio and mic quality, and not fragile (I've ripped cords right out of headsets before on accident).

I found a really good deal on a Blue Yeti Pro mic, and also ordered a pop filter for it, so I'm thinking when I want to record things that should be about the best I could hope for quality wise. That means I have two options - get nice headphones and just use that as a mic when I'm playing games and whatnot, or just get a nice headset along with that mic. I'm not sure what my best option.

Can anyone recommend a nice, durable, comfortable headset that offers good quality? Obviously it won't be something super cheap, but that's okay. I'd like something that will last and that I'll fall in love with.

Alternatively, what are some of the best listening headphones out there? I've got a pair of Studio Beats from a couple years ago that I like for listening to music, but I haven't used them with my PC yet. I know there's a lot of hate on the Beats, so I'm wondering if there's better headphones out there that you might recommend for me.

Thanks!

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

It depends on which version of the Beats you got. The early versions had boosted bass/trebble and muddy mids. Since you already ordered the Blue Yeti, I'd just use it and get some decent cans. While they may not seem it, I won a pair of SOL Republic headphones, and stopped using my Stantons when I dj'd. They're comfortable, a nice even tone, and decent drivers on them (the speakers, not software). They've come out with some others that aren't on-ear which are what I have. They have some over-ear designs and wireless as well.

In general though if you're wearing headphones for extended timeframe, I'd suggest over-ear design where your ear fits inside the padded area. On-ear, no matter how nicely padded they are, usually tend to irritate after extended use. And in-ear (buds) are horrible after long-periods, at least for most people.

Edited by Micheal Malone
  • Upvote 1

duskhornexceptional.png.d9e24adf7f0945530780eee694428f27.png

He's right, I'm such a stinker. Play my exceptional game!

Malone is absolutely right about over the ear for long periods of use. No question.

I haven't gotten new cans in a while, but from what I recall, the Studio Beats are actually pretty decent. Can't speak to their comfort level, but audio-wise, shouldn't be a problem.

Since you have the Yeti, I wouldn't spend the money on a headset, when you can spend the same amount you'd spend on a quality headset to get a higher quality set of cans (if you want them.)

The one piece of advice I would give you in regards to the Yeti Pro, is pick up a shock mount, or if you're at all handle, rig one up yourself. While the Yeti comes with a desk stand, well let's just say that if you bump the desk or the microphone, or stamp on the floor under the desk real hard, the Yeti will pick up the vibrations and broadcast them. 

• Upvote 2
wF9Bjre.gif

I use a Logitech G230 and I quite like it. Not a huge fan of the mic design but I don't have a real problem with it. Got it like half off for $40 a while back and it's great. 

The color scheme matches the rest of my computer as well, which is a big plus. O/ Red & Black

• Upvote 1

Orbis Wars   |   CSI: UPN   |   B I G O O F   |   PW Expert Has Nerve To Tell You How To Run Your Own Goddamn Alliance | Occupy Wall Street | Sheepy Sings

TheNG - My favorite part is when Steve suggests DEIC might have done something remotely successful, then gets massively shit on for proposing such a stupid idea.

On 1/4/2016 at 6:37 PM, Sheepy said:
Sheepy said:

I'm retarded, you win

I actually use the Razer Carcharias headset; it's lightweight, comfortable, and does a fairly good job of recording to boot (though as you've got the Blue Yeti, that's not quite so important).

I used to use the Sony MDR-V150, which sounded about as good as the Carcharias... but it wasn't quite as comfortable.

• Upvote 2

HJrIaRW.jpg

"Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."

-- The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (#76 of 285)

• Administrators

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to just wait and see how the new mic goes with normal headphones, and if all is well with my beats I should be more than happy :)

Is there a bug? Report It | Not understanding game mechanics? Ask About It | Got a good idea? Suggest It

Forums Rules | Game Link

If you want very high quality headphones that top every review out there, are less than half the price of beats and used in nearly every studio in the world, look to audio technica m-50s. I have a pair and they really are incredible for 100 quid.

T7Vrilp.png