New Project - Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)

Zevari

Genetically Modified Organisms
Negative modifiers to food production is reduced by 20% or capped at 70%, whichever is lower.

Requires Clinical Research Center, Green Technologies and Nuclear Research Facility

Effectively this would ensure some degree of food is produced during wartime for players outside of conflict and would negate the affect of seasons during peacetime. (Although odds are with the current meta the radiation will barely be low enough to provide that effect)

The logic behind this is nations outside of the War-zone really wouldn't experience that much damage from nuclear warfare and with the right knowledge you could engineer plants/animals to survive in those environments. (I mean have you seen the plants in Chernobyl)

Also the 70% reduction means the negative impact can never go above 70% less production of food. Essentially ensuring that you will have 30% of the base production regardless of the radiation index.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

In order to appease the crowd who wants the nuclear option to remain powerful, this could be considered as an alternative. I would contend that 

18 minutes ago, Zevari said:

Requires Clinical Research Center, Green Technologies and Nuclear Research Facility

is a bit excessive for something that only affects food production. Perhaps only Green Technologies should be required. Additionally, maybe we could squeeze in a small bonus to population?

Listen to J Kell's new single: 

About The Author

An early member of Roz Wei in 2015, J Kell went on to stay within the paperless world of Empyrea before signing with Soup Kitchen while scoring a record deal in 2019. J Kell went on to release multiple Orbis Top 40 hits. In 2020, J Kell took a break from Orbis. He's back.

The cold war introduced us to the theory of nuclear warfare and how such an event between even two parties would lead to Mutual Assured Destruction. Nuclear Winter is a real thing and this game does a beautiful job and portraying it. Global zero food production in fact can play large roles in politics especially if a war drags out long enough to drain the food banks of smaller alliances. Infact, I would contend that nukes should be made stronger by allowing the radiation to also affect disease rates globally!

• Upvote 1

As much as food prices increasing during global wars where radiation causes -100% food production can be an annoyance, I have to say that I'm ultimately against this and for the same reasons as @Majima Goro stated. The chokehold of losing the global food market plays a role in the political sphere. Sucks that noncombatants have to deal with it, but that's how it would be in the real world too and it's nice to have at least some realism.

• Upvote 1

Federation of Knox

Enlightened of Chaos, Event Horizon

QA Team and API Team

1 hour ago, Jacob Knox said:

snip

10 hours ago, Majima Goro said:

Snip

The thing is, it isn't impossible to produce food in a nuclear wasteland. We already possess the technology to grow food in labs, greenhouses and miles underground with artificial light. That added with most plants can already survive in areas with high radiation it's actually more unrealistic to expect food production to halt when half the world is at war.

I did consider the political impacts of war on the food production for non-combatants, but I've yet to see or hear that as a complaint (aside from newbies) so I dismissed that idea. (You do have a fair point here though)

The Disease idea @Majima Goro brought could be interesting and possible easy to add, but I feel like it should come with projects/features that reduce nuclear effects for non-combatants. (Because again, no radiation near you = no sickness)

12 hours ago, J Kell said:

is a bit excessive for something that only affects food production. Perhaps only Green Technologies should be required. Additionally, maybe we could squeeze in a small bonus to population?

Yeah I didn't really think about balance for that. I just considered what would be 'logical' to have to produce this kind of technology. So nukes to research and understand radiation, Green Tech to understand plants in-depth and how to genetically modify them and Clinical because it's quite cheap and literally has to do with removing disease (which can be put under radiation for this games context)

• Like 1